• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

GT or Dark Horse? (The Important Differences)

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT vert A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 6MT
I think in the end, I just want a car that doesn't bore me to sleep from the lack of exciting engine/exhaust noise and that I can occasionally take spirited turns in with as much grace and responsibility as possible. 😜

Thanks again to everyone for helping a forever-out-of-touch-with-the-cool-kids millennial with learning more about the unbridled awesomeness that is the Mustang with a V8.
Then take my advice and get yourself a V-8 A10 with Active Exhaust. So much fun it should be illegal. Probably will be soon!
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
As a point if reference just a few short years ago a lot of folks on here destroyed the Mach 1 as “just” a GT parts bin car. Well we know now that was hardly the case. You can bet the same thing will happen here. Once the cars get here and the road tests start coming in people will start extolling the greatness of the Dark Horse.
Especially the paid advertisers.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I honestly can't tell the differences between the GT and Dark Horse besides 20HP (potentially), some distinctive styling cues, more track focused intentions in the case of the DH, and perhaps $10K between the two trims.
IMO, the answer is going to depend on what your objectives are.

If you're looking for something you can take out any time, possibly use as a DD, a nicely-optioned GT might be worthwhile.

If you're looking for something more performance-oriented, potentially more collectable and admittedly more impractical, a DH might fit the bill.

Pricing differences between the GT and DH are primarily going to come down to a lot of the things you cannot see. I'm attaching a comparison chart between the GT and Mach 1, to give you an idea. I've also noticed the initial specs for the '24 circulating in other threads.

We haven't seen pricing yet, but I'm sure once the numbers come out, they'll also guide you.

I can appreciate your concern about height and clutch pedal. Might be worthwhile to try a GT or Mach 1 out in the showroom with a '22 now. While not exact, it could give you a general idea.

I agree with other comments of manuals. I love mine, but would not consider if the car was a DD and I was going to be in traffic.

Good new is, you have plenty of time to study before making a decision.

S650 Mustang GT or Dark Horse? (The Important Differences) gt mach 1 001

S650 Mustang GT or Dark Horse? (The Important Differences) gt mach 1 002

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco
IMO, the answer is going to depend on what your objectives are.

If you're looking for something you can take out any time, possibly use as a DD, a nicely-optioned GT might be worthwhile.

If you're looking for something more performance-oriented, potentially more collectable and admittedly more impractical, a DH might fit the bill.

Pricing differences between the GT and DH are primarily going to come down to a lot of the things you cannot see. I'm attaching a comparison chart between the GT and Mach 1, to give you an idea. I've also noticed the initial specs for the '24 circulating in other threads.

We haven't seen pricing yet, but I'm sure once the numbers come out, they'll also guide you.

I can appreciate your concern about height and clutch pedal. Might be worthwhile to try a GT or Mach 1 out in the showroom with a '22 now. While not exact, it could give you a general idea.

I agree with other comments of manuals. I love mine, but would not consider if the car was a DD and I was going to be in traffic.

Good new is, you have plenty of time to study before making a decision.

gt mach 1 001.jpg

gt mach 1 002.jpg
My 5’ 1.5” wife doesn’t have any issues with the Mustang GT clutch pedal.

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
I'm definitely looking forward to whenever the configurator goes live for this car, which is likely still going to be months away. Fortunately, I'm not in the market to replace my EcoBoost until mid-2025 at the ideal earliest. No need to rush making my dream car a reality.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
I feel like for 90% a base/near base GT+A10+active exhaust will be the sweet spot. Some will swap the A10 for a manual but thats probably going to be the biggest taker. Really unless you plan to do some tracking there isn't reason to invest in the DH, and if you want manual the EB is off the table.

BreadBurner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
There is no "need" for a Darkhorse if you don't plan to track the car. GT is your daily driver cruiser. You can always mod a GT to look like a Darkhorse if that's what you want. Also, from the photos, it seems the darkhorse does not come with the performance 4 piston rear brakes by default. It seems to be an option package. Those brakes also, are really not needed aside from track use (and even at that, the rears are really dependent on use of traction or stability control when it comes to Track/performance use).
yeah I meant to include the rear 4 pistons as included on the optional handling package. My brain must have jumped that since the handling package for the M1 didn't receive that upgrade nor was it present in the 350s if I remember correctly.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
My 75 year old mom called me after the reveal and told me she really wants a GT, I’m trying to talk her into a Dark Horse, so I can inherit it later.
I know an old lady that always drive Honda coupes, then when Honda killed the Civic coupe with the 11th gen she went and got a 2.3 EcoBoost. She refuses to NOT be the old lady in a sporty car.

theshawnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
yeah I meant to include the rear 4 pistons as included on the optional handling package. My brain must have jumped that since the handling package for the M1 didn't receive that upgrade nor was it present in the 350s if I remember correctly.
GT350s have 4 piston rear calipers. The brakes on both the front and rear are entirely different from what is on a Mach 1/GT performance pack. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dark Horse got the GT350 Brembos, since the GT500 brakes might be considered overkill for that application.

Edit:
I also read that the Dark Horse will have carbon fiber wheels as an option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
Sorry for reviving this out of nowhere, but I had a thought. I read on another thread that the Dark Horse should have better handling than the GT. That got me thinking, is a square or staggered tire/wheel setup better for a handling-focused vehicle?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
What people tend to forget ( I am speaking for the European market)

- The Mach 1 front wasn't that unique looking comparing to the Darkhorse. The Mach 1 had these ugly round shaped "things" in the grill trying to pay hommage to the original Mach 1, didnt event had a shaker hood (but just foiled) and worst of them all, the indicators were taken from the 2015 model which is totally not understandable and a step backwards.

The rest was taken from GT 1:1 ( I am not taking the glossy black finish in the lower grill into consideration). The DH looks completely different from the front in contrast to the GT.

- They got rid of the rear parking sensors and adaptive cruise control which was a standard feature(s) in the GT.

- The seats with that white or orange stripe.... come on.... only other difference was the plate which said Mach 1 instead of GT or 55 years edition.

- The BHP was the same as Bullitt (460 BHP)

The only good thing from a design perspective were the different wheels with its orange brakes (if you ordered a specific package if I am not mistaken) and the diffusor along the exhaust pipes.

Yes there are some elements from the GT 350 and GT 500, BUT imo this do not justfiy a price gap of almosr 12K Euros between the MACH 1 and GT to be honest, but more likely to sympathize it with the Dark Horse for various reasons. For example the interior which will actually differ from a GT in 4-5 aspects (steering wheel, black accents, differens stiching, different seats etc.)

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang GT
. I guess I'm just wondering if the GT is being aimed this time around towards the more casual person who is less likely to aftermarket stuff and just use it straight out of the box as a Grand Touring cruisemobile,

Thanks for any and all help.
so when i looked at a new performance pack vs base gt earlier in the year i found it hard to justify the $6500 or $20000 for a mach one over a base GT. Looked at a lot of info here before I bought the car. Seems a lot of guys with PP were upgrading tires, rims & susp etc anyway. So I bought the new base '21 gt 6sp, 301A off the lot for $40k. Tracked it twice over the summer with SCCA track nights at pocono raceway. 2 new mach 1's were in my rearview for every session. Moral of the story, you can get better upgrades with the extra $$$ you save on the PP or mach 1 unless you really don't want to be bothered doing your own upgrades.
Sponsored