• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

GT or Dark Horse? (The Important Differences)

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
As someone whose next car goal is to own a V8-powered Mustang, I'm admittedly quite the casual within the Mustang enthusiast community. I honestly can't tell the differences between the GT and Dark Horse besides 20HP (potentially), some distinctive styling cues, more track focused intentions in the case of the DH, and perhaps $10K between the two trims. Both still seem like they'll be modded enthusiastically by the community at large though regardless. I guess I'm just wondering if the GT is being aimed this time around towards the more casual person who is less likely to aftermarket stuff and just use it straight out of the box as a Grand Touring cruisemobile, while the Dark Horse will be the project workhorse for the hardcore modding community. I apologize if I've asked these questions before in some fashion in other threads. Having a sip of the Mustang experience from my EcoBoost, I'm just trying to prep myself for eventually stepping in to the V8 realm. Oh, and as far my intentions go, I don't plan on modding anything (aside from maybe cosmetics, or maybe handling stuff if I really want to be an ambitious back road corner carver, but that isn't very likely) or doing any serious track duty whatsoever with my potential future ride.

Thanks for any and all help.
Sponsored

BreadBurner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
The DH comes standard with the Performance Pack attributes of a GT plus additional components that you would find in a present Mach 1. However, the DH will have not only the Tremec, but also the connecting rods from the GT500 into its engine, and the rear has 4 piston break rotors like the GT500, however, the Mach 1 nor the 350 did not have those enormous rear brake rotors.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
The difference in the manual trans is most notable for me. With that said, if you're not tracking, the Getrag would likely serve you well.

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 Mustang GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
There is no "need" for a Darkhorse if you don't plan to track the car. GT is your daily driver cruiser. You can always mod a GT to look like a Darkhorse if that's what you want. Also, from the photos, it seems the darkhorse does not come with the performance 4 piston rear brakes by default. It seems to be an option package. Those brakes also, are really not needed aside from track use (and even at that, the rears are really dependent on use of traction or stability control when it comes to Track/performance use).

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
The difference in the manual trans is most notable for me. With that said, if you're not tracking, the Getrag would likely serve you well.
Do I need to press the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to properly engage/disengage the clutch? (I've never driven clutch regularly and it's been almost 20 years since I last tried to learn properly how to do so.)

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Do I need to press the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to properly engage/disengage the clutch? (I've never driven clutch regularly and it's been almost 20 years since I last tried to learn properly how to do so.)
The correct answer here is "it depends". During regular driving, yes, you should aim to fully disengage the clutch between shifts (i.e. foot to the floor). During spirited driving, or racing, taking the clutch just past its engagement point is sufficient between shifts.

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
The correct answer here is "it depends". During regular driving, yes, you should aim to fully disengage the clutch between shifts (i.e. foot to the floor). During spirited driving, or racing, taking the clutch just past its engagement point is sufficient between shifts.
Thanks for the reply. That may present a problem. I'd likely have to sit a lot closer to the steering wheel/dashboard than recommended just to be able to press the clutch fully to the floor, being 5'5" and all.

Is learning manual that much of a life-changing experience to be worth it? šŸ¤”

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
If you drive in city traffic with drive a manual as a daily itā€™s possible youā€™ll grow to hate it.

Roman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2020 Edge
Is learning manual that much of a life-changing experience to be worth it? šŸ¤”
You'll probably get a lot of responses that tell you "Yes!" It's really all up to you and what you want out of the experience. There is a lot of fun to be had running through canyons and rowing your own gears. Sitting in traffic can kinda suck with a manual. These are my opinions. You'll get die hards that will never touch an automatic. And you'll get guys like me who used to be die hard manual guys, and then bought the 10sp auto. I love it; I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. Sport mode gives me everything I need from the transmission. I'm a bit farther down the road than some and my body isn't interested in the 3rd pedal anymore. I also had my fun with a manual when I was younger. It's all subjective.

If you get the chance, have a friend teach you on their manual. Build your confidence; see how it feels to you. Think about how important it is to you, personally. (satisfaction of knowing how to do it, etc). There is a certain engagement with the vehicle that a manual provides. There can be a lot of satisfaction from being in exactly which gear you want at any given time. There also can be satisfaction from just putting her in drive and mashing the pedal.

Lots to consider. Whichever way you go, you'll be getting a beast of a machine that'll put a smile on your face.

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
Right now I'm leaning towards the automatic since I already have experience with it in the EcoBoost. We'll see what the next few years bring as far as car experiences go.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Right now I'm leaning towards the automatic since I already have experience with it in the EcoBoost. We'll see what the next few years bring as far as car experiences go.
As a point of reference just a few short years ago a lot of folks on here destroyed the Mach 1 as ā€œjustā€ a GT parts bin car. Well we know now that was hardly the case. You can bet the same thing will happen here. Once the cars get here and the road tests start coming in people will start extolling the greatness of the Dark Horse.

Last edited:

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco
Automatics are faster so if you didnā€™t grow up with a manual then I wouldnā€™t go that route. I like them because it makes shuttling kids around town more interesting. Definitely no fun in traffic though.

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
I think in the end, I just want a car that doesn't bore me to sleep from the lack of exciting engine/exhaust noise and that I can occasionally take spirited turns in with as much grace and responsibility as possible. šŸ˜œ

Thanks again to everyone for helping a forever-out-of-touch-with-the-cool-kids millennial with learning more about the unbridled awesomeness that is the Mustang with a V8.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 GT vert A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 6MT
Automatics are faster so if you didnā€™t grow up with a manual then I wouldnā€™t go that route. I like them because it makes shuttling kids around town more interesting. Definitely no fun in traffic though.
This right here is the gospel IMO. I accept that a lot of people will disagree with my opinion and many contrary examples will be cited. But hereā€™s the real deal: I could teach a chimp how to operate the clutch and shift gears without too much trouble. But that isnā€™t learning how to drive a manual. To drive a manual efficiently and safely you have to be able to operate the transmission without actually thinking about it. You have to listen to the engine and feel what the car is doing all while doing the other driving functions safely and have all this committed to muscle memory. This takes a lot of time. A lot. It isnā€™t hard but you have to put in the chops. Once mastered sufficiently youā€™ll never lose the ability. Itā€™s a little like learning to drive a motorcycle at age 60. You can do it but look up the stats on motorcycle fatalities before trying. Itā€™s the rank beginners and beginner OFs that go down.
Sponsored