• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Daily Driver - Empty Catch Can Frequency?

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
I installed a UPR Catch Can on the "Dirty" side only. I won't track or drag my car. I'm retired so I only drive about 5,000 miles a year.
UPR recommends emptying the Catch Can DAILY! That would be a PIA with the Strut brace installed.
What are others doing?
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I check mine once a quarter, to see what the fluid looks like more than anything else. The can is something of a window into what is going on inside the engine. I empty it once a year, at the oil change.

We all drive different and have different mileage. For 5,000 miles, 8,000 kilometers, I'd expect you to accumulate "around" 2 tablespoons, 30 milliliters max in one year.

Being a new car, new engine, I'd remove the can in 30 days, just to take a peek. The liquid that is there, it's not liquid as it travels, but vapor that condenses in the bottom.

If you're witnessing large amounts of fluid (like half full in 30 days), or liquid that does not look like oil (like a lot of water), I'd be concerned.

Over time, you'll know how often to check and empty.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
"Note: The oil consumption of new engines reaches its normal level after approximately 3,000 mi (5,000 km)."

^

I'd monitor the engine oil and all fluids closely early on.

The first few weeks of ownership, after each drive, I checked fluids, under the hood, under the car. I was looking for anything obvious. Leaks, anything loosening or wearing badly. Once I was comfortable things we OK, I backed off.

I check fluids, under the hood and under the car once a month now. I do on any of my vehicles. For Skye, I measure and document tread depth once a quarter, to ensure suspension, alignment and tires are wearing correctly.

However the car, fluids and other items are checked, do so the same way, each time. For those that don't know, oil expands when hot, so a reading cold can and will be quite different than hot.

I update a Moleskine notebook for any details I'd like to look back on.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I installed a UPR Catch Can on the "Dirty" side only. I won't track or drag my car. I'm retired so I only drive about 5,000 miles a year.
UPR recommends emptying the Catch Can DAILY! That would be a PIA with the Strut brace installed.
What are others doing?
Daily must be for a track car otherwise Iā€™d suspect it depends on use. Do you engine brake a lot? Style and method and break-in period will play a part. Iā€™d probably check it as frequently as one would check the coolant level. The first few months it will be like a watch pot but after awhile itā€™ll be as second [nature] as making tea.

Last edited:

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
Have a catch can on the F150 and use it maybe 3-4 times a week, mostly local trips. I check the can once a month and there's maybe an oz. of oil in it. Having the Ecoboost, not good for all that oil messing with the turbo's.

UPRjoe

Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
What are others doing?
JUst some quick info.

We recommend checking it monthly for the first few months to get an idea of how much oil your car pulls through the PCV system. Then, you can set your intervals to exactly what is needed. Also, remember that short trips in colder weather cause more condensation in the UPR catch can on your 2024+ S650 Mustang. But that'll evaporate once the engine and catch can reach operating temperature.

On a 5,000 mile a year new car, you should be good for minimal emptying.

UPRJoe

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
JUst some quick info.

We recommend checking it monthly for the first few months to get an idea of how much oil your car pulls through the PCV system. Then, you can set your intervals to exactly what is needed. Also, remember that short trips in colder weather cause more condensation in the UPR catch can on your 2024+ S650 Mustang. But that'll evaporate once the engine and catch can reach operating temperature.

On a 5,000 mile a year new car, you should be good for minimal emptying.

UPRJoe
Thanks for the response!

I realize the space in the engine compartment is "TIGHT", but how do you recommend removing the can for checking/emptying? I can't get my hand in there to unscrew the can itself. I am thinking I am going to need to disconnect the hoses and the top knob and remove the entire assembly.
Did I not install the can per the instructions? (See attached picture)
S650 Mustang Daily Driver - Empty Catch Can Frequency? Catch Can

UPRjoe

Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Thanks for the response!

I realize the space in the engine compartment is "TIGHT", but how do you recommend removing the can for checking/emptying? I can't get my hand in there to unscrew the can itself. I am thinking I am going to need to disconnect the hoses and the top knob and remove the entire assembly.
Catch Can.jpg
To remove the UPR Catch Can from below the Mustang S650 strut tower brace, you release both UPR plug-n-play catch can fittings and then unscrew the quick-release knob, and you are all set. This should take a few minutes, and if you have any pressure on the hose, loosen the quick-release knob to eliminate any pressure on the lines when releasing the UPR-plug-n-play fittings.

Here you go. Everything looks good on your installation.

UPRJoe

Reactions: DCS

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
Thanks for the response!

Catch Can.jpg
I check mine about every 1k miles and it usually has around a tablespoon of oil in the can. Like previously said, check it more frequently at first to see how much oil you collect. That strut tower brace does make it a little bit more of a pain, for sure.

Wiley Marmot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Prem
What are others doing?
I'm also retired and drive about 5500 miles per year. Had my catch can installed in my Focus RS in mid May of 2022. Checked it for the first [confident or stupid? You be the judge! :crackup:] time about a month ago. Shoot! There was maybe a table spoon of oil in it.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Are there any downsides, aside from CARB, to a catch can on the passenger/dirty side? Other than having to empty it of course.
Sponsored