• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Clean Side Catch Can?

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
I'm a few more weeks away from receiving my new GT. I plan on ordering a Catch Can setup. However, I don't understand the two PCV systems on the Coyote engine. There is a "Dirty" side and a "Clean" side. How are they different? Is the clean side necessary or advisable? UPR offers a cleanside option.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV

Here is everything you need to know about catch cans.

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
I have the UPR kit with both the clean and dirty cans. In 4k miles I have collected nothing in the clean side. For street driving I would say the dirty side is all you really need.

For what it’s worth the recently released Ford Performance kit has both a clean and a dirty can.

Reactions: DCS

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Lots of time to basically end up with, the engine is an air pump (compressor). Hmm 🤔 where have I seen filters for those? Wow drain port and sight window - darn doesn’t look like it belongs. Oh well. Back to the question at hand.

For the most part I usually hear about a can on the ‘clean’ side from the boosted folks.

Yes, without a valve on that side there is a potential vapors may find their way that direction however chances are lower more or less due to the way the vortex spins.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
I have the UPR kit with both the clean and dirty cans. In 4k miles I have collected nothing in the clean side. For street driving I would say the dirty side is all you really need.

For what it’s worth the recently released Ford Performance kit has both a clean and a dirty can.
Thanks for the feedback!

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
Ford has a list price of $750 on their system. That pricing is nuts!
Yep. No way is a catch can system worth that much. Much cheaper and they work just as good

UPRjoe

Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Here is a quick bit of info from UPRproducts on the PCV system: how it functions and what its purpose is.

The PCV system has an inlet and outlet. The inlet is called the clean side, where fresh air gets pulled from the airbox or intake tube after the mass air to keep the fuel trims perfect. Then you have the outlet, or the dirty side, where the crankcase pressure and contaminants exit. This is where all the oil and unburnt fuel exits the crankcase to be sucked through the intake manifold to the combustion chamber.

(The PCV inlet is a bi-directional hollow fitting; the PCV outlet is a one-way exit-only valve. Power adder engines or vehicles being driven hard will blow oil out of both PCV valves as they can overcome the PCV system.)

So, the PCV system on all modern engines has become a tool to increase power and overall engine efficiency. It does this with the fresh air it sucks in and to be pulled through to cool the engine and pull any unburnt airborne fuel/contaminants. The modern PCV utilizes a much stronger vacuum source that has become a scavenger by pulling out a lot of oil in a vapor/mist as the oil gets splashed around during regular engine operation.

This is where an efficient catch can/oil separator like the UPR multi-stage catch can consists of multiple coalescing filters. Not just a single-stage filter and screen like inferior designs run on the inlet or outlet side of the catch can. You will see mpg increases and overall performance increases. A real multi-stage coalescing filter system catch can reduce engine maintenance while increasing spark plug life.

Oil Ingestion creates problems in the intake manifold, runners, and sometimes the throttle body. Oil buildup also occurs in the combustion chambers, allowing the fuel to be diluted and lowering the octane rating. This causes poor combustion and even cylinder detonation, possibly damaging pistons and/or rings. (This is bad for any engine, let alone the Coyote and EcoBoost engines.)

This should help a bit more to understand the function.

UPRJoe

Last edited:

ShaZadam698

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Atlas Blue GT
Dirty side is the Drivers side?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Dirty side is the Drivers side?
Down under. Unless they also move the battery for non u.s. cars. Battery side/right side is the dirty side. Coolant/left is the clean side.