• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Convertible owners keep getting screwed by Ford Motor Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
This will be my second convertible mustang. I’ve gotten the performance package one both. And I would like to use this forum to express my irritation with Ford and their continued decision to financially screw over the convertible owners. For those who are unaware, all convertibles automatically delete the spoiler that comes with the performance package. I spoke with my dealer parts department who looked up the cost to order a performance package spoiler and was informed the price would be $2450+tax. (I understand there is a AM/FM antenna that needs to be exchanged with a shorter one to allow the spoiler to be installed and not bash into it every time you pop the trunk). The issue is that even though convertibles are no given the opportunity to have the spoiler installed at the factory, we are still charged the same rate as the coupes who get the spoiler. I would like to header what the @Ford Motor Company has to say to the owners given this “over sight”. Personally I would like my spoiler that I paid for shipped to my home so I can have it installed….
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I can think of two, maybe three contributing factors associated with the issue:

1. Lack of a roof requires convertibles to be strengthened in ways and in areas coupes are not, to help maintain chassis rigidity and for safety. Design time, more safety tests, maybe unique assembly.

2. Convertibles are often a) heavier than coupes (more raw materials), b) don't sell as often and have c) different unibody, biasing pricing higher.

3. Specific to the Mustang and this MY, could be styling (Ford design or customer survey feedback), aero imbalances, wind noise, recouping costs, etc.

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Will the added weight (hmm where is that weight added - exactly) potentially offset the need?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
hmm where is that weight added - exactly
Two general locations:

1. the underside of the car, to help prevent flexing/twisting of the unibody.

2. the roof pillars, and possibly where they attach to the unibody, to help survive a rollover.

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two general locations:

1. the underside of the car, to help prevent flexing/twisting of the unibody.

2. the roof pillars, and possibly where they attach to the unibody, to help survive a rollover.
Folds into the trunk, err well just in front of the rear axles?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Folds into the trunk, err well just in front of the rear axles?
The A-pillars in front with the windshield, and possibly where/how they attach to the unibody.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The A-pillars in front with the windshield, and possibly where/how they attach to the unibody.
Hah cross- talk. wasn’t attempting to imply all of that folds into the chassis. Was more or less asking if the added weight from the convertible (who’s roof gets stowed right near the rear axles) help offset the need for a ‘spoiler’ for more-or-less the ‘street’.

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
This will be my second convertible mustang. I’ve gotten the performance package one both. And I would like to use this forum to express my irritation with Ford and their continued decision to financially screw over the convertible owners. For those who are unaware, all convertibles automatically delete the spoiler that comes with the performance package. I spoke with my dealer parts department who looked up the cost to order a performance package spoiler and was informed the price would be $2450+tax. (I understand there is a AM/FM antenna that needs to be exchanged with a shorter one to allow the spoiler to be installed and not bash into it every time you pop the trunk). The issue is that even though convertibles are no given the opportunity to have the spoiler installed at the factory, we are still charged the same rate as the coupes who get the spoiler. I would like to header what the @Ford Motor Company has to say to the owners given this “over sight”. Personally I would like my spoiler that I paid for shipped to my home so I can have it installed….
That is list price. You should shop it online.

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
Not only do they not give you the premium package spoiler while still charging for it, they force you to remove the blade spoiler. So it's like you're paying $2,500 to give them your spoiler! Although I wouldn't want the pp spoiler on my convertible, I do agree with you that the convertible owners shouldn't be paying for a spoiler they aren't getting, of which it sounds like is a big part of the overall performance package charge.

OP
OP
Jrws1014

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is list price. You should shop it online.
I know it’s the list price….that’s the point. Ford charges that price for the spoiler which is in the package that I pay full price for.

OP
OP
Jrws1014

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not only do they not give you the premium package spoiler while still charging for it, they force you to remove the blade spoiler. So it's like you're paying $2,500 to give them your spoiler! Although I wouldn't want the pp spoiler on my convertible, I do agree with you that the convertible owners shouldn't be paying for a spoiler they aren't getting, of which it sounds like is a big part of the overall performance package charge.
@Ford Motor Company

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
One must consider that it's quite possible they remove it for practical reasons.
Maybe the spoiler and the shape of the convertible top create a lot of turbulence that threatens to rip the fabric? Or maybe when the top is down the turbulence is felt by the occupants.

In either case, I understand your frustration. And maybe Ford could reflect that in having a slight reduction in price for the PP on convertible so as to make it fair. But then again, it's quite possible it's already worked out in the pricing some other way. They don't have to explain this to anyone.

OP
OP
Jrws1014

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One must consider that it's quite possible they remove it for practical reasons.
Maybe the spoiler and the shape of the convertible top create a lot of turbulence that threatens to rip the fabric? Or maybe when the top is down the turbulence is felt by the occupants.

In either case, I understand your frustration. And maybe Ford could reflect that in having a slight reduction in price for the PP on convertible so as to make it fair. But then again, it's quite possible it's already worked out in the pricing some other way. They don't have to explain this to anyone.
Considering how many other sports cars have convertibles with spoilers ….and the “turbulence” wouldn’t swirl back toward the top to be a problem (watch their wind tunnel testing with a spoiler). This is not a issue of design inability. I’m already paying $4500 more for the convertible option. And @Ford Motor Company is charging us for options that are removed. Other options that get removed reflect a credit on the window sticker. But we are OVERPAYING for this package. Is @Ford Motor Company going to comment here? They have no problem chiming in when it’s all sunshine and rainbows but when the consumers have a legitimate question they are nowhere to be had. Why be on the forum and say “we want to interact with our customers” if they don’t actually answer and questions posed to them?

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I agree it sucks, but they don't have to explain anything to you.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you knew it didn't have a spoiler when you ordered it and you also mention it's your second one. If that was a sour point, you could have "not" taken the PP and install the components you want after.

As they say, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me....

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
If you"re so dissatisfied about parts of the car not meeting your expectations, then you shouldn't buy the car. After all, you knew what you would be getting when you placed the order and no one's forcing you to take delivery of it. Obviously, most folks don't have a problem with it and Ford's not going to change because of a few vocal malcontents on an internet forum. :inspect:

At least, that's the exact speech some of us were given when we expressed our own dissatisfaction about other parts of the vehicle...🤔

But I know, "tHis iS DiFfErEnT!!!" :crazy:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.