• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Brake Pads *Venting Warning*

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
I feel like they’re making us wait for the New York Auto show
I have my tix ready for early admission. I doubt they'll have S650 in person though. I'm really just going to check out the Bronco Raptor. Then, I'm heading back to work to cry about not being able to afford a Bronco Raptor thanks to my lavish, Grubhub/UberEats-fueled lifestyle.
Sponsored

Last edited:

StangGang93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln MKZ Black Label
I have my tix ready for early admission. I doubt they'll have S650 in person though. I'm really just going to check out the Bronco Raptor. Then, I'm heading back to work to cry about not being able to afford a Bronco Raptor thanks to by lavish, Grubhub/UberEats-fueled lifestyle.
Maybe a visual teaser, and a actual s650 at the Detroit auto show this summer. The silence of no new spy shots speaks volumes!

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
I have a '14 with Brembo package. The brake dust if a frikin PITA. And the pads last 20,000 miles.
They do work and feel great.

My cousin has a '14 Track Pack and he's gone to ceramic pads. His wheels are always hella clean.

I'm at about 45k miles, almost time for my third set of pads (and rotors probably)
You are the type of person this thread is complaining about....just so you're aware.
We'd rather have dirty wheels and fast lap times than style points while hard-parking.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
"dirty wheels - fast lap times"
That would make a good bumper sticker for your car.

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
The problem is that we have people buying the track packages, Mach 1, PP2, GT350R, Camaro 1LE, etc, just because they are the "best looking" or "top spec" models, with no intention to take them to the track and use the capabilities.

I buy these cars and take them straight to the track stock. I want to have a decent run on the stock brakes and tires, then as they wear out (one weekend for pads, two for tires) put on the tire, pads, rotors, fluid I want.

But yes, I want to wear the factory components I paid for before I shell out $2,000 tires and $500 for pads.

For the more casual buyer that wants to take the car on track a couple of times a year, the factory equipment may last a year or two.

For brake pads, I care more about how easy they are to change - e.g. Brembo front/rear punch out the pins pull the pads, put new ones, put the pins in - than the compound.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
I buy these cars and take them straight to the track stock. I want to have a decent run on the stock brakes and tires, then as they wear out (one weekend for pads, two for tires)
why? Stock by definition is going to be sub-optimal no matter how "pretentious" the factory effort claims to be. Yeah you can take it to the track but it's unlikely to impress and you'll just be wasting time circulating and having to manage a deficient car.

If you're buying a purpose-built track car and spending $150,000+ then yeah you could be a bit more demanding of "factory" equipment choices and level of excellence.

But we're talking cheap-shit Mustang here. Granted in M1/PP2/GT350/1LE trim the results are less embarrassing and some of the parts are actually pretty good. but the same money spent for the factory to put decent parts on could have been done by you for quite a bit less and also have the option to pick much better parts.

Ford should just not bother providing factory-installed performance parts. Have a Perf catalog absolutely, but factory trim levels should only address the 99.98% of buyers who all they do is go to the coffee shop and drive on public roads.

But of course they would rather charge outrageous markups on parts and preen in the media about "performance" features, even if it means complicating SKU management and delivering a sub-optimal product for it's supposed role.

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
why? Stock by definition is going to be sub-optimal no matter how "pretentious" the factory effort claims to be. Yeah you can take it to the track but it's unlikely to impress and you'll just be wasting time circulating and having to manage a deficient car.
1 - Manage a car to it's limit (including brake pad and tire thermal limits) is part of track driving.

2 - Since the vehicle will come with some tire and some pad, I want it to be the most capable one that still passes the NVH standards for a street car. I don't want to toss a perfectly good set of tires and pads - like to keep my track driving expenses low.

3 - ALways like to enjoy the car stock first to see what it needs improving.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Well, I guess April 15th is the last working day before Mustang's birthday on Sunday 17th........but I'm still not holding my breath for any S650 news.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Well, I guess April 15th is the last working day before Mustang's birthday on Sunday 17th........but I'm still not holding my breath for any S650 news.
with everyone running around like a chicken with the head cut off it being Tax Filing day, it would make a lot more sense to release something on the 18th.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse