• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Brake Pads *Venting Warning*

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
This is me venting a bit so fair warning...

I see so many people complain about brake dust on M6G on the PP cars.
People...performance brake pads are going to dust. If dust bothers you so much, you probably shouldn't have bought the performance model.

With so many complaints, I hope Ford doesn't listen to these nannies and neuter the S650 PP car with lesser brake pads.
The base model car, sure keep it tame and civil. For the PP model, I want even more aggression.
Sponsored

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 2012 BMW 135i FBO w/ MHD Stage 2+, 2015 Hyundai Equus
People who complain about brake dust on a performance vehicle just don't understand how performance brakes work. Just tell them to swap out the stock pads for some ceramics, then wait for them to complain because they don't stop as well as the stock pads.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
I once saw a GT350 owner complain about dust.....dude, you clearly bought the wrong car.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
I deal with this a lot on my 1LE. I don't care, give me the performance I paid for. Give me ALL the brake dust dawg. I wanna look like this after a performance driving session:

S650 Mustang Brake Pads *Venting Warning* Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 10.57.30 AM

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
For the PP model, I want even more aggression.
Yes after 2 years I swapped my Ferodos out because the dust was just nuts for driving around town. Who gives a damn what pad Ford puts in the assembly line, it's not like any serious person is NOT going to heave-ho them into the trash bin and put their choice of compound in. Factory equipment (esp consumables) is just there to provide a minimal level of compliance with mandatory equipment. ALL of it should probably be tossed in the skip and proper parts fitted.

It's like whining about factory tires. Why? Take a chainsaw to them because they are not fit to purpose and put REAL tires on. I would much prefer Ford not fit things like Cup2 and PS4S to the car and just put the cheap-shit Pirellis on or have a heart and put 275 sized Pilot SPort AS3/4 on if they want the buyer to take them seriously.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I completely disagree. When I spend 60K or above or actually any money on a car I want a working product. I want the car to be equipped with the intended equipment. I don’t want to spend extra on tires, fluids or other parts. What dumb idea would it be to ship a product that’s only good for a few miles before customaries are mandatory?!

The only cars that are rightfully sold without any “useful” equipment are the “GT-class” race cars. You can buy a ‘track ready’ M4 GT3 for ~300.000€ but the teams that buy those cars basically want the stock car and nothing else. They’ll do a complete overhaul.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the PP1 or Mach1 came with PowerStop Z23/26 grade pads absolutely nobody would complain about it and there would be no dust issue. If they took it to HPDE then yeah they'd gripe but then you'd tell them 'hey, idiot, go buy proper track compound pads - what were you thinking?'

these cars are STREET cars with delusions of track grandeur, so with the factory screwing around doing it half-assed, they should focus on street components and leave the buyer to pick the appropriate upgrades for purpose. PS4S are a poor tire for HPDE work so thanks but no thanks Ford. And shipping Cup2 on a street car is just stupid. They have to come off and be replaced immediately. And it pisses off customers who want their cars because cold weather and cup2 hinder delivery. You're saving NOTHING getting consumables as factory equipment. And factory equipment is not some holy grail - in fact we've seen it's more likely to be total garbage.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yes after 2 years I swapped my Ferodos out because the dust was just nuts for driving around town. Who gives a damn what pad Ford puts in the assembly line, it's not like any serious person is NOT going to heave-ho them into the trash bin and put their choice of compound in. Factory equipment (esp consumables) is just there to provide a minimal level of compliance with mandatory equipment. ALL of it should probably be tossed in the skip and proper parts fitted.

It's like whining about factory tires. Why? Take a chainsaw to them because they are not fit to purpose and put REAL tires on. I would much prefer Ford not fit things like Cup2 and PS4S to the car and just put the cheap-shit Pirellis on or have a heart and put 275 sized Pilot SPort AS3/4 on if they want the buyer to take them seriously.
Why would I want to buy a vehicle with crappy tires/consumables on it? As far as I'm concerned the Ferodo pads are good. Yes they make dust, but they perform really well. I guess it depends on what you want. But why buy a somewhat sporty car with crappy pads that keep your wheels clean for C&C but can't hold up to hard use? Save that for the C8.

If the PP1 or Mach1 came with PowerStop Z23/26 grade pads absolutely nobody would complain about it and there would be no dust issue. If they took it to HPDE then yeah they'd gripe but then you'd tell them 'hey, idiot, go buy proper track compound pads - what were you thinking?'

these cars are STREET cars with delusions of track grandeur, so with the factory screwing around doing it half-assed, they should focus on street components and leave the buyer to pick the appropriate upgrades for purpose. PS4S are a poor tire for HPDE work so thanks but no thanks Ford. And shipping Cup2 on a street car is just stupid. They have to come off and be replaced immediately. And it pisses off customers who want their cars because cold weather and cup2 hinder delivery. You're saving NOTHING getting consumables as factory equipment. And factory equipment is not some holy grail - in fact we've seen it's more likely to be total garbage.
I do agree on the Cup 2 thing. IMO Cup 2s don't belong on a lower budget vehicle. I wouldn't even use them on track. It's just throwing away money and you'll barely even notice the difference in lap times. But the entire reason for Cup 2s are magazines. Just like the super sticky tires that come on several Camaro models. I don't really blame car companies for that. Ford actually put more conservative tires on their cars previously and only gave in during the last couple years. But you see how big a difference it makes to the guys bragging about being 1 second faster around a track. And the magazines really talk it up.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why would I want to buy a vehicle with crappy tires/consumables on it?
because you're being overcharged badly for no-good tires anyway. Ok so maybe not the $100 Nanking specials, but there are a dozen very good (u)HP all-seasons that could have easily been OEM'd.

Ok, maybe not 'crappy' brake pads, but Callahan brand or a "reasonable" street performance profile pad. The Ferodo are low/mid-grade track pads. For a car that won't see track except in vanishingly small percentage, what was the point of putting in something that soots like Satan's oven and also $$$? Some twat in marketing probably said "hey, we can 'show off' by including track-ready pads". I wonder what the replacement rate is for PP1 owners who rip them off and quickly at that because of the dust?

Where is Ford's Steve Jobs who will smack these people upside the head? Factory equipment should be for the low IQ/effort buyer.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
I completely disagree. When I spend 60K or above or actually any money on a car I want a working product. I want the car to be equipped with the intended equipment. I don’t want to spend extra on tires, fluids or other parts. What dumb idea would it be to ship a product that’s only good for a few miles before customaries are mandatory?!

The only cars that are rightfully sold without any “useful” equipment are the “GT-class” race cars. You can buy a ‘track ready’ M4 GT3 for ~300.000€ but the teams that buy those cars basically want the stock car and nothing else. They’ll do a complete overhaul.
agreed.

That said, I wish I could order cars with my choice of tires instead of what they want to give me. Unfortunately, manufacturers/deals have moved away from allowing that kind of choice...probably because of fuel economy reasons

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 10 Gear
I was behind a lady on the phone the other day at Target that complained the checkout line was going to fast and she was going to have get off the phone.

So yes people complain about everything.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
I have a '14 with Brembo package. The brake dust if a frikin PITA. And the pads last 20,000 miles.
They do work and feel great.

My cousin has a '14 Track Pack and he's gone to ceramic pads. His wheels are always hella clean.

I'm at about 45k miles, almost time for my third set of pads (and rotors probably)
Sponsored