• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Best tires/wheel setup for Forced Induction

allenquanobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I'm sure there are dozens of threads and posts about this. But I was wondering what is the best tire and wheel setup for forced induction? I currently have 19x8.5 wheels and 255/40/19 Michelin Pilot All Season 4 tires. From what I've researched, people recommend running drag radials, but they don't last long from what I can tell. Is that the go to? Or is running what I have right now good enough? I'm also looking to keep a square setup
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Drop a Whipple on a S650 and leave the factory tires on there, and you'll be the next guy who gets a video made about him by someone @ Cars & Coffee ... :cwl:

Forced induction and tires that "last long" don't often collide in the same sentence.

OP
OP

allenquanobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Drop a Whipple on a S650 and leave the factory tires on there, and you'll be the next guy who gets a video made about him by someone @ Cars & Coffee ... :cwl:

Forced induction and tires that "last long" don't often collide in the same sentence.
Makes sense. Iā€™m just wondering, and was asking a question. Iā€™ve noticed that people tend to ridicule and make jokes.
But itā€™s understandable. The more I ask questions, the more Iā€™m regretting even joining the community.

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium, 2020 Mustang GT Premium c
Makes sense. Iā€™m just wondering, and was asking a question. Iā€™ve noticed that people tend to ridicule and make jokes.
But itā€™s understandable. The more I ask questions, the more Iā€™m regretting even joining the community.
You're probably right, if you're someone that gets their feelings hurt easily this is probably not the community for you. What one deems a sense of humor may be perceived as being an ass by another. Lighten up, it was funny and most likely true. :crackup:

OP
OP

allenquanobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
You're probably right, if you're someone that gets their feelings hurt easily this is probably not the community for you. What one deems a sense of humor may be perceived as being an ass by another. Lighten up, it was funny and most likely true. :crackup:
Youā€™re right! Itā€™s just something I noticed when reading and posting in this forum. Itā€™s hard to get actual answers and just have a civil discussion in my opinion. But itā€™s hard to find that anywhere on the internet I guess. I was just hoping for a technical answer or more normal conversation, but I guess itā€™ll be easier to just go to mechanic shops and ask directly.

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
Youā€™re right! Itā€™s just something I noticed when reading and posting in this forum. Itā€™s hard to get actual answers and just have a civil discussion in my opinion. But itā€™s hard to find that anywhere on the internet I guess. I was just hoping for a technical answer or more normal conversation, but I guess itā€™ll be easier to just go to mechanic shops and ask directly.
I would start by getting some rims. You can do 285-295/30/19 or 18 and do 305 in the back. If you want a radial then if you don't have the PP beaks in the back, you can run 18 in with room to downsize the rim for more tire. 305/35/18 - 305/45/18 would be good. Get ET Street or NT555RII and you are good to go for something you can drive on and occasionally have fun on. Probably want to get some Welds 18x10 for just the back. And then get whatever new set of rims you want for all four. I'm saying that only because you mentioned the all season and I suspect you stay somewhere you can't run a summer set up year round. It's costly but getting the PS4S all around in 19's for just driving lost distance but you can also have some fun. Then get the Welds 18x10 for the back. Then you have a full Street set up for the summer that allows you to drive the car wherever you want and go long distance. Them when it gets cold, you can swap the winter set up back. Sorry for the long reply šŸ˜…

OP
OP

allenquanobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I would start by getting some rims. You can do 285-295/30/19 or 18 and do 305 in the back. If you want a radial then if you don't have the PP beaks in the back, you can run 18 in with room to downsize the rim for more tire. 305/35/18 - 305/45/18 would be good. Get ET Street or NT555RII and you are good to go for something you can drive on and occasionally have fun on. Probably want to get some Welds 18x10 for just the back. And then get whatever new set of rims you want for all four. I'm saying that only because you mentioned the all season and I suspect you stay somewhere you can't run a summer set up year round. It's costly but getting the PS4S all around in 19's for just driving lost distance but you can also have some fun. Then get the Welds 18x10 for the back. Then you have a full Street set up for the summer that allows you to drive the car wherever you want and go long distance. Them when it gets cold, you can swap the winter set up back. Sorry for the long reply šŸ˜…
Thanks for the detailed answer! Love long replies that go in depth, so I can understand more! thanks a lot, cheers

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
Thanks for the detailed answer! Love long replies that go in depth, so I can understand more! thanks a lot, cheers
No problem lol, I was in the same boat as you for 3 weeks. I have big brakes in the back and can only run an 18x10 or bigger rim. I had to ask around for awhile and then someone at beefcake racing helped me alot and broke it down for me and answered all my questions. So I completely understand what you are asking and the situation. I just ordered some Welds and did alot of research on the NTR2 radials. They are good, my friend has them on his z06 and they are a great street drag tire for the rear. You can pair them with the NT555G2 in the front for a good pairing summer set up. You can drive in the rain with them. Just can't be wild and crazy lol.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I gave you the answer.

NO, your stock tires will NOT work for FI.

Am I ridiculing you because I gave you news you didn't like?

Sense of humor, thicker skin, and a good work ethic. Without those, you won't be very successful in life.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I gave you the answer. No.

OP
OP

allenquanobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I gave you the answer.

NO, your stock tires will NOT work for FI.

Am I ridiculing you because I gave you news you didn't like?

Sense of humor, thicker skin, and a good work ethic. Without those, you won't be very successful in life.
Alright Mr cool guy šŸ«”

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

allenquanobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
fb69b97a7755b04e8cf39c6a95c62ead-1710954801.jpg

(Relax ... we like to have fun around here) šŸ˜†
True, I just preferred your answer you just gave cuz itā€™s straight forward and to the point or a detailed answer like the other post. Thanks for the answer, Cheers! Hope you have a good Memorial Day weekend!

Radiant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ecoboost Convertible (ordered), '18 Ecoboost
From what I've researched, people recommend running drag radials, but they don't last long from what I can tell. Is that the go to? Or is running what I have right now good enough?
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S have compromises for longevity and wet-weather driving. If you want to be able to put down all of the power of a supercharged coyote S650, you'd want to upgrade to a drag radial.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I'm sure there are dozens of threads and posts about this. But I was wondering what is the best tire and wheel setup for forced induction? I currently have 19x8.5 wheels and 255/40/19 Michelin Pilot All Season 4 tires. From what I've researched, people recommend running drag radials, but they don't last long from what I can tell. Is that the go to? Or is running what I have right now good enough? I'm also looking to keep a square setup
You haven't really articulated what you want out of a set tires. Are you planning to drag race, road course track, autocross, commute, road trip....how do you plan to use the extra power and why did you want it?

For most purposes, more power demands a wider, sticky compound tire. There is no getting around that wider and sticky will also wear faster and tend to wander on the highway.
Sponsored