• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anyone's S650 come with some scratches/swirls from the dealership?

Abubatata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Picked up my GT PP in black and its an amazing car. Can't help but notice some scratches here and there. Is this normal for a new car (this is my first new car). Would a paint correct get this sorted?
Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT vert A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 6MT
Picked up my GT PP in black and its an amazing car. Can't help but notice some scratches here and there. Is this normal for a new car (this is my first new car). Would a paint correct get this sorted?
Probably, but each case is different.

It‘s sad the way many dealers prep cars for delivery. It just takes one dirty bucket or one dirty cloth to impart swirls and scratches.

Depending on how bad they are you may want to take it back to show them, but your best bet is likely to engage a pro detailer.

beando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco
Could you capture the scratches in pictures and post here? Curious

OP
OP

Abubatata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Probably, but each case is different.

It‘s sad the way many dealers prep cars for delivery. It just takes one dirty bucket or one dirty cloth to impart swirls and scratches.

Depending on how bad they are you may want to take it back to show them, but your best bet is likely to engage a pro detailer.
i got a noticeable one while taking delivery and they buffed it out there and then. but now under sunlight i can see some minor scratches in diff spots idk if normal

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
A paint correction will almost certainly get them out, I had an unpolished scuff from fords paint shop and a scratch next to it that I found when I got home with mine. Took it to my dealer the following week and they paint corrected that 1ftx1ft section. Sucks but black is one of those colors that even a brand new micro fiber towel can place light scratches on it.

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
No, it is NOT normal. We found we have some small dents in mine that were there before they painted it😡
Did you let them know when you picked it up? They need to be deducting from the amount we paid for these cars

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i got a noticeable one while taking delivery and they buffed it out there and then. but now under sunlight i can see some minor scratches in diff spots idk if normal
No, should not have dents or anything else wrong with any new car. They need to be deducting for everything as long as you show them first

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A paint correction will almost certainly get them out, I had an unpolished scuff from fords paint shop and a scratch next to it that I found when I got home with mine. Took it to my dealer the following week and they paint corrected that 1ftx1ft section. Sucks but black is one of those colors that even a brand new micro fiber towel can place light scratches on it.
They need to start being more careful. They need a huge raise alright! 🤬

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
I love how the one and only helpful response to the OP's reasonable concern from someone who actually has experience assembling these cars seemed to trigger some pretty extreme (and even just plain loony) political responses that have nothing to do with the topic at hand... 🤣
I work in the paint shop for Honda, have for nearly 5 years now. Paint work is tedious and sucks to have to do on a new car but it is what it is. I’ve scuffed and polished more bumpers and bodies than I could remotely guess.

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Also, folks should understand that some of these cosmetic flaws can also be caused by acts of nature as well as during transit with 3PL companies. The lowly factory workers some folks seem eager to blame can't control either of these things.

Now yes, once the car is at the dealer, the onus is on them to correct these flawss during PDI before you take delivery (and an ethical dealership will do so). And yes, it is in Ford's best interest to hold its dealers accountable for this since they're the face of the company brand.

Realistically though, there may still be some cosmetic flaws that can't be easily identified before you take delivery and you may just have to bite the bullet while being understanding of this. These are physical objects exposed to all sorts of elements & human error at the end of the day...

That being said, if you're so bothered by whatever comestic flaws you might find and you don't feel the dealer has done enough to correct them, no one's forcing you to take delivery of the vehicle. You can always just walk away.

Last edited:

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, PP - Race Red
I guess I was fortunate with my car. I told the dealer ahead of time to not wash the car as I wanted to minimize the scratches and swirls. When I picked it up I could not find any body or paint damage at all and only very slight swirl marks in a few spots. I just picked it up yesterday after having it paint corrected and ceramic coated and it looks great. Luck of of the draw I guess.

My last car was the exact same color and had sat on the dealer’s lot for almost a year. There is no telling how many times that car had been washed with a dirt filled rag because it was covered in heavy swirl marks. I never was able to get that paint fully corrected.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Being a black car, the slightest imperfections will show much stronger than other colors. Difficult to say where the swirls might have occurred. I'd be speculating.

Yes. Even a minor paint correction can work miracles and often result in a stunning finish.

In your example, I'd seek out a good detail shop, have them do a light paint correction, something that'd be done before a ceramic coat or PPF. If you find things which are more significant, file a claim before to long. I had three days to make a claim against the dealer or the transporter.

For those due to pick up your vehicles, perform a thorough inspection, preferably in a darkened area with a torch. Let the dealer know that, other than the PDI, do not touch the car. Do not wash it. Do not "detail" it.

The people cleaning cars after they come off the truck, they're detailers in name only; they use cheap materials, cheap practices and the same dirty sponges and towels over and over again across every car.

My car arrived with several minor imperfections, one from the dealer prep person dragging their muddy boot across the footwell. Two from the transportation process, people opening the door against something, parking to close to something. One from the "detailer" and a dirty towel.

I took the car as-is, fixed half the issues myself, the others, repaired by a shop before installation of PPF.

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, PP - Race Red
Being a black car, the slightest imperfections will show much stronger than other colors. Difficult to say where the swirls might have occurred. I'd be speculating.

In your example, I'd seek out a good detail shop, have them do a light polish and surface prep, something that'd be done before a ceramic coat or PPF. If you find things which are more significant, file a claim before to long. I had three days to make a claim against the dealer or the transporter.

For those due to pick up your vehicles, perform a thorough inspection, preferably in a darkened area with a torch. Let the dealer know that, other than the PDI, do not touch the car. Do not wash it. Do not "detail" it.

The people cleaning cars after they come off the truck, they're detailers in name only; they use cheap materials, cheap practices and the same dirty sponges and towels over and over again across every car.

My car arrived with several minor imperfections, one from the dealer prep person dragging their muddly boot across the footwell. Two from the transportation process, people opening the door against something, parking to close to something. One from the "detailer" and a dirty towel.

I took the car as-is, fixed half the issues myself, the others, repaired by a shop before installation of PPF.
Good point about inspecting with a flashlight. My sales guy was ready to have me sign the paperwork when I told him that I wanted to inspect the car before signing. I took about thirty minutes to look over every inch of the car with a flashlight as well as check every feature to make sure it all functioned. Again, I was fortunate in the body and paint department because I could not find any defects. Anyone who is particular about their car should intentionally inspect every inch and discuss any defects with the dealer prior to purchase. I’ve found that you should look as closely over the entire car before purchase as you ever intend to during ownership.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Thread tidied. Please quit the bickering and politics and keep it on topic.

OP - a black car will get scratches just by looking at it. I follow a number of high profile detailers on social media, and even top-end cars (Aston Martin are one of the worst) are delivered with paint defects. Should it happen? No. Does it happen? Yes.

Find a good detailer in your local area (go by recommendation) and get a paint correction and ceramic coating. Then make sure you follow a decent cleaning procedure to ensure you don't inflict micro marring and scratches when cleaning (snow foam/2 bucket method etc).

:)
Sponsored