• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anyone else struggled deciding between EcoBoost and GT for daily driver?

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
I come from a 2020 EB. I went to the dealer decided on another EB...but the moment i test drove the GT i fell in love with it. I use my GT as a daily driver, mainly in the city....ghastly 13 or 14mpg...with my EB i was doing 18mpg. (lots of stops and signs, and max speeds at 25 or 35 miles!)
Every time i drive this car i do it with smile, just felling the drive, acceleration, hearing the exhaust...
When i had the EB, i was always wondering about a GT...now that my itch is scratched.. i really don't know if my next car will be another GT. I love the GT, but the EB was an excellent car that i loved too...ask me again in a few months, after i have the opportunity of doing some long trips with the GT!
If you are going to use it mainly on city, the EB is more than perfect for that. If you need the power and sound, and don't mind about the fuel economy, go for the GT.
Wow 13-14 mpg's in the city isn't great but it is what it is I guess. Interesting that your 2020 EB only averaged 18 mpg's so really not much of a difference overall but it does indeed add up. I do more city than highway so my mpg's probably won't be looking great either. I'm still on the fence about what I want to do though.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
I used to have a 2016 Ecoboost and it wasn’t bad driving in the city. It was fun though I will say that! Although now that I finally got a 24 GT I must say it’ll be hard for me to go back to an ecoboost just because I knew I’d regret not getting a GT at least once in my lifetime lol gas mileage isn’t the best but then again I came from daily driving a 2002 Trans Am and a 88 Trans Am, so I’m kind of used to the poor gas mileage. But I say test drive both back to back and see which one you like most and of course consider any other things like price and cost of ownership overtime.
All you guys heaping such praise on the GT is making it hard for me not to jump on the GT bandwagon. Can I ask what your gas mileage is like in the GT and what type of driving you do? I would also be interested in what kind of mileage you saw in our 2016 EB in comparison.

Edson8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
All you guys heaping such praise on the GT is making it hard for me not to jump on the GT bandwagon. Can I ask what your gas mileage is like in the GT and what type of driving you do? I would also be interested in what kind of mileage you saw in our 2016 EB in comparison.
My gas mileage is pretty low I believe it’s between 15-17 and that’s with city driving a lot of stop and go and occasionally able to cruise without so much stop and go. I do have the 10 speed. When I had my ecoboost it was city driving as well but not as much stop and go and I was averaging 22MPG’s.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
I was dead set on getting a 24 EB to use as a daily driver, so much so that I have one on order. The last few days a voice inside my head said I need to at least consider the GT. Wondering if anyone else here has gone through this same scenario and if so what was your decision along with some of the pros and cons you weighed?

Obviously the GT is more ($10K in my case) and I know the GT will cost more to insure, fuel and maintain. Those are all issues that are manageable but the big thing I'm fighting is the what if. I'm sure I would be happy with the EB but part of me is asking would a GT make things that much more enjoyable? I do plan to keep this car for 10+ years so I want it to be reliable but if something did come up in my life where I had to sell the car say 5 or 6 years down the road how would each fair for resale?

I see lots of talk online about the EB going EcoBoom but that seems to be more of an issue with owner's being careless with maintenance or doing other stupid things with mods, etc. TBH I haven't even driven an new GT yet and I hope to do so soon but the weather is crap here so I may have to wait a bit. Anyway any insight into their thought process on this very issue would be very beneficial to me so I appreciate any and all input.

To sum it up, I'm sure the EB would suit me just fine but I just hope a few years down down road I don't say to myself darn I should've got the GT, lol. But really do I need that much power that the GT provides (probably not) and is it worth the additional $10K price of admission? I'm a huge numbers guy so to me that's the million dollar question.

Feel free to chime in with anything that might be relevant to help me make this decison:)
I noticed you're in Michigan. Do you plan on driving in the winter? If so, you may want to take that into consideration. You will have 170 more horses back there.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
18.5 mpg's is actually pretty darn good. I would say that I drive more city than highway so I'm sure my mpg's would be less. I assume you are using premium when you fill up?
You're not leaning into it enough. I average 14mpg with my GT S550😁

Arno_ecobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BMW M135i Xdrive
If you daily it and don't like to go 100mph often, ie. accelerate to 70 odd and attack some twisties the ecoboost is the winner. Its much lighter on the nose and makes torque from 2500 rpm... like a boat load. Its fun and efficient and really the ecoboosts dont go boom anymore. I had a 2016 and they stopped since 2019 booming. very very rare.
The GT though, much more emotion, sound, soul and power. but you gotta punch it and get up in the RPMS to make sense.
IF sound is not your main barometer then the ecoboost is way way way more than sufficient.
Keeping it for 10+ years... maybe. The GT is the better long term investment, but you have to be happy with it.
Test drive both. It will be obvious depending on what you want.

I had a fully modified ecoboost with the cleveland engine. and now going to GT because i do want to track it up against M4's and keep it for 15 years+ or forever.

The ecoboost is a great car, very underrated. If you want a good sports car its def better than the competition imo, but its no muscle car. If you want a muscle car, then it will never appeal

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 EcoBoost Rapid Red
35 mpg overall is really dang good but like you mentioned your driving conditions are pretty much ideal. It seems as though some say the EB is really good on gas compared to the GT and others say the difference isn't that big. Are you using 87 octane or premium? I know both the EB and the GT can use 87 but not sure many around here use 87?
Premium only.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I'd never ever consider an EB Mustang, not even for the wife.

If you are seriously asking yourself this question you most likely have regrets if you get the EB.

No matter which you pick, make sure it is the one YOU want.

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, PP - Race Red
18.5 mpg's is actually pretty darn good. I would say that I drive more city than highway so I'm sure my mpg's would be less. I assume you are using premium when you fill up?
Premium only.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I daily my S550 V8 GT A10. Average just under 30mpg (Imperial) over 25k miles but most of that is open road / motorway. Can get mid 30's on a motorway cruise. The V8 can be very economical if you want it to be.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT vert A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 6MT
🤣 The A10 in my S550 was good. The A10 in my S650 is amazing. I have seen very few negative comments on the S650 A10. To say it is “truly ghastly” is just ridiculous.
Couldn't have said it better!

Here‘s a keyboard commando who thinks it’s appropriate to offer a scathing opinion on a car he admits he’s never owned, but hey, he’s driven some! There’s no evidence in his sig that he even owns a Mustang of any kind now. Yet he feels compelled to confuse the OP with silly disinformation.

Geez!

hmsusauk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost 2024
I just got my 2024 EB two weeks ago. I couldn't decide between the EB and GT, but frankly, it came down to budget. I've wanted a Mustang since 1968 and this is my first one. For my everyday needs, and when the summer comes, the EB offered everything. I would have gone for the GT and everything that brings, but it just came down to budget.