• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Any OTA updates yet?

SSuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Grabber Blue, 2007 Mustang
We sold another Grabber Blue GT to a young guy, and I see him pretty regularly, but I've only seen two others on the road during my rather short commute. The sale smanager gave me $50 a few weks agong to entry and lucnh if I took mine to a big show in League City and talked to everyone about it, not as a dealership employee, but as an owner.
Sponsored

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Do you apply the updates to your mobile phone? Or do you run the same firmware version it was delivered with for all the years you use it?

While there may be bumps along the way with a brand new generation, the overall benefits of fixes, new features, and other updates are well worth it.
My phone is not paired to the car. I also disabled the modem. So I guess it means the car will run the same firmware the whole time I own it? Unless I take it to the dealer then I assume they will give me the updates as they fix the car for a recall or some warranty work down the road?
Can you give me an example of a new feature that could be introduced with an OTA update that an owner could care about?
I'm really not up to speed when it comes to terms like firmware etc. I'm not against new technologies at all. But I don't have a good understanding of the extent of what
information is exchanged when I turn on the modem and pair my phone, and with whom it can be shared with and for what purpose. I read a bit about it but I still don't have a good grasp of it.

SSuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I go thru the same thing with my work computer , it functions flawlessly, and the IT says it needs an "update". I don't want or need it but am stuck with it and invariably it crashes and I am sidelined til they manage to come back around.
Its forced on me at work, but I will not have it in my car.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
My phone is not paired to the car.
My question about your phone had nothing to do with your car and/or whether or not you pair it to your car. I was simply asking if you reject all the firmware updates that Apple or Samsung (or whomever manufactured your phone) sends out. Not unlike your car, those phone updates address many things, including security patches, fixes for known issues, new features, new interface (look, feel, and operation), etc.

I also disabled the modem. So I guess it means the car will run the same firmware the whole time I own it?
Yes, if you never apply any updates, you do not benefit from them.

Unless I take it to the dealer then I assume they will give me the updates as they fix the car for a recall or some warranty work down the road?
The only updates a dealer will apply will be those directly related to a repair they are getting paid to work on, either under warranty or you paying for it. They will NOT simply apply every update available (that were sent OTA but you blocked them). And even in a short period of time such as 1 year, there could be a dozen or more updates available for modules installed in your car.

Can you give me an example of a new feature that could be introduced with an OTA update that an owner could care about?
Sure.

I have a 2021 F150. When it was delivered, my truck had all the hardware (the things installed on the truck you can touch, such as a sensor or camera) for BlueCruise (hands-free driving). But the firmware (think of that as software like you install on a computer) was not yet ready - so my hands-free driving feature did not work. Once they delivered the firmware updates OTA (over the air aka tirelessly via the modem you disabled), my BlueCruise was able to work!

Heres another one: When I first got my truck, the Android Auto and Apple CarPlay "map" window did not have the ability to run in FULL screen mode. It was limited to running in a smaller section of the screen next to a window that contained other apps. Once Ford released an update to the Sync firmware (again, think firmware = software), F150 owners were able to run thier Google Maps or Waze mapping app across the entire screen, making it larger and easier to see/use. The updates to provide this functionality were delivered OTA.

Here's a fix: The original firmware delivered with the truck allowed the remote to open the truck tailgate with a single press of the button on the remote. Many people accidentally pressed the button (key fob in your pocket), which caused the tailgate to open, many times causing damage because the truck was in the garage near the garage door or otherwise too near another object. An OTA update was sent to F150s so that using the remote to open the tailgate required TWO consecutive key fob button presses to activate the tailgate. This reduced the possibility of an inadvertent opening at a bad time.

Many OTA updates fix problems you vehicle has that are found after previous updates are released.

Your car has dozens and dozens of modules. Think of them as mini computers, each controlling a small subset of operations your car does. There are some major modules (body control module, engine control module, transmission control module, etc,), but there are specialized modules for things like your driver's seat, your HVAC system, your ABS brakes, etc.). Each of these modules has its own firmware (software). If something needs to be fixed or added that is related to something controlled by a specific module, Ford releases updated firmware for it. The normal delivery for these updates are almost always OTA, and almost exclusively delivered via the modem you disabled (TCU aka telematics control unit).

I'm really not up to speed when it comes to terms like firmware etc.
Again, think of firmware as software - specialized software for each of the dozens of modules (mini computers) installed on your car that control the operation of certain things. Each module stores that firmware (software) in a way so that it is not lost when you turn the car off. Any time that firmware needs to be updated to fix something or add something, it's sent to your vehicle OTA (over the air) via the TCU module.

I'm not against new technologies at all. But I don't have a good understanding of the extent of what information is exchanged when I turn on the modem and pair my phone, and with whom it can be shared with and for what purpose.
The firmware that is delivered to your car via the car's modem (TCU) has absolutely nothing to do with your phone. It doesn't need or use your phone when you pair it to your car. The modem (TCU) operates by itself, downloading the firmware when Ford sends it. Many of the updates are applied automatically without you needing to do anything. On some occasions, you have to schedule or apply the update yourself when prompted on the screen in your car. This is because some updates require the vehicle NOT be operated for thr short period of time it takes to apply the update. Imagine an update that is applied to your ABS module (anti-locking brakes) WHILE you are driving! That would not be good!

Pairing your phone to your car has NOTHING to do with ANY of this. The purpose of pairing your phone is to allow you to use the screen in the car to control your phone. Examples include seeing and controlling apps that are installed on your phone ON the car screen (Google Maps, Waze, Pandora, Spotify, etc.), making and accepting phone calls or sending text messages through the car's sound system, (hands-free calling), playing music that you have downloaded to your phone thru the car audio system, etc.

Don't confuse the car's modem (TCU) and getting firmware updates for all the modules in the car with pairing your phone and controlling your phone with the Sync system. For all intents and purposes, these two things have nothing to do with each other.

I read a bit about it but I still don't have a good grasp of it.
I hope my explanation above helps you better understand all this. It can be confusing for anyone who is new to it.

All this said, keep in mind that the world is an imperfect place. Just like anything else, any time you update something, there is always a potential that it could negatively affect something. Bottom line, yes, an update might cause an unintended situation, but a subsequent update will eventually be released to fix these. But these events are very RARE, and the vast majority of updates will apply without negative issues.

The 2024 S650 is a new generation. Regardless of it sharing a good chunk of the 6G Mustang, it's NOT the same. As with all new generations or programs of a vehicle, there will undoubtedly be a greater chance that an update is not perfect. Again, these are the exception and NOT the rule. I would NOT listen to the very few whining naysayers who advise you to turn off your OTAs. Most just like hearing themselves talk. The exception to this would be if there was/is a situation where a known update would absolutely negativley affect your vehicle, Ford knew about it, and was actively working on a fix. Then I would hold off (disable updates). But the entire "disable your TCU" nonsense is just that - nonsense. Your car, your choice.

For the record, I'm not just a guy commenting on a few updates my vehicle has received. I sometimes manually update all the firmware using a Mongoose-Plus J2534 VIC (vehicle interface) and the exact same software that Ford techs use to diagnose and repair vehicles (FDRS aka Ford Diagnostic & Repair System). The VIC is not cheap ($550-ish) and FDRS requires a subscription, but sometimes I'm too impatient to wait for an OTA to get a new feature or to fix something that can't be fixed OTA.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I go thru the same thing with my work computer , it functions flawlessly, and the IT says it needs an "update". I don't want or need it but am stuck with it and invariably it crashes and I am sidelined til they manage to come back around.
Its forced on me at work, but I will not have it in my car.
Your IT folks must be clowns lacking competent leadership. They probably don't have a change management process to vet OS or application updates before rolling them out. Not good at all.

I've been in IT since the early 1990s, currently Director of IT for a large Tier 1 Ford supplier. I do not allow my Solution Engineers to push a single byte of software or OS update out until it's been fully vetted against our standardized software load, all of which is managed and controlled. Not a single program or application can be installed by any non-IT employee.

Our Ees do not experience what you've described above, or heads would roll. One-off things do happen, as some Ees have specialized software that most others do not. But if that ever were to occur, my staff would be your shadow until the situation is addressed. Our job is to ensure you have the tools to do your job, and your job is not to fix or fight with your tools.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
@roadpilot gets it 👍🏼

Just to reiterate, nothing is perfect. There's always the risk that a patch/update may break something in the process, but businesses like Ford, know that if they release a patch that breaks something, they will have a quick turnaround to push out another patch/update to resolve the issue.

SSuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, let's just say it is someone less than responsive. If you submit a help desk ticket, it may be several days until it's responded to, even if it's an issue that keeps you from using your computer at work. They gave me a new computer recently and luckily for me everything ported straight from the old one and it worked well. A week later it shut itself down in the middle of the day and took an hour to update, and when it finally did come back online I was missing several things that I used before. For example when I click the icon for the calculator it said my license had expired. No I just use the little one I put on my desk but it's a pain. I submitted help desk ticket, a week later one of the guys showed up to help someone else's computer and I asked him about mine and he said oh yeah I'll look at it too he had no idea what was wrong took a picture of the message and left. I got an email from them the other day saying it had to do with Windows and how our computer program doesn't talk to Windows anymore and they just basically can't make it work. I know they know things about computers I don't know but if the goddamn thing works leave it alone!
And if you're going to force me to update it schedule it to happen at 1:00 a.m. when nobody's around one time last year we were all furiously working away at 10:00 on a Monday morning when there was a collective how from everybody on the service drive our computer is all shut down and went into reboot mode and took almost an hour to complete it.

Dapsters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 gt premium performance package vapor blue
Got updated to 6.1 then 6.2 and now 6.3.2

Don't really notice anything different other than my radio keeps playing when I open my door for 2 seconds instead of instantly turning off
S650 Mustang Any OTA updates yet? Screenshot_20240415_234727_FordPass

jboogie1289

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Oxford White Mustang GT w/ PP, AE & NPP Pkg
Got updated to 6.1 then 6.2 and now 6.3.2

Don't really notice anything different other than my radio keeps playing when I open my door for 2 seconds instead of instantly turning off
Screenshot_20240415_234727_FordPass.jpg
Just got the 6.3.2 update last night (early morning hour) as well.

First thing I did notice, again, was the Rear Seat Occupant notification was back on. Lol.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
First time I own a car that can get OTA updates. I disabled all connectivity on day 1.
If the car works to my satisfaction today, why would I ever want a software update? I really don't understand what is to be gained. To me it's like introducing risk into something that works.
What is it that I don't understand here?
The majority of electronics are controlled and monitored using software.

Any electronic controlled mechanism that interfaces with another will most likely employ a management function, well for safety / regulations purposes anyway.

if a bug or an anomaly (ever used microsoft math and or watched the progress bar go backwards) is found / determined an update provides the potential for the possibility to rectify / address / remedy in the most expeditious manner.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your IT folks must be clowns lacking competent leadership. They probably don't have a change management process to vet OS or application updates before rolling them out. Not good at all.

I've been in IT since the early 1990s, currently Director of IT for a large Tier 1 Ford supplier. I do not allow my Solution Engineers to push a single byte of software or OS update out until it's been fully vetted against our standardized software load, all of which is managed and controlled. Not a single program or application can be installed by any non-IT employee.

Our Ees do not experience what you've described above, or heads would roll. One-off things do happen, as some Ees have specialized software that most others do not. But if that ever were to occur, my staff would be your shadow until the situation is addressed. Our job is to ensure you have the tools to do your job, and your job is not to fix or fight with your tools.
Sandbox, dev, prod. - each with its own rules and requirements progressively more restrictive. prod equals dumb terminal for all intents and purposes when it comes to the end user - they get what is documented, evaluated, verified, secured, and functions nothing more.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sandbox, dev, prod. - each with its own rules and requirements progressively more restrictive. prod equals dumb terminal for all intents and purposes when it comes to the end user - they get what is documented, evaluated, verified, secured, and functions nothing more.
Sorry - ^ btw: and never shall they meet, save for some random page on an exclusive site publicly available and possible the exchange of an email but then that raises the question, why you emailing yourself?

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Got the 6.3.2 update the other day, shortly after getting 6.2 and can confirm that personal settings still don't fully save.

Examples: Turning off Trip 1 does not save. Restarting the vehicle and Trip 1 comes back up on the driver's display. Trip 2 MPG continues to reset after XX amount of time. Switching clock to 24 hour display resets back to 12 hour display after XX amount of time. MyColor supposedly sticks even though when you go to the MyColor app, it shows a different color.

Bottom line: Glitches that I have come across since day 1 are still present. I suspect and hope that by the time MY 25 hits production, that the software team at Ford will have these iron out. Regardless, I'm still enjoying and loving the car.

jimgt2k24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 silver GT 401A, auto, act exh, perf pkg, nite
What 'system' was updated to 6.x.x? Is Sync4 now Sync 6.x.x?
Sponsored