• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Almost no love for the Ecoboost

GTPony24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 mustang by convertible
I am just your average bargain hunting guy. I really love the Ferrari, but only can afford it by doing all the work myself. Monetarily, not rich, not poor - just average.

I posted it because no one should feel like their ability to afford or not afford a GT is a measure of their value/worth. Anyone who makes such an assumption might be wrong.
Iā€™m glad you posted the Ferrari. Thatā€™s a great combination there with the latest technology and bells / whistles with the ecoboost and then the sick collection Ferrari. Good for you
Sponsored

OP
OP

mpeugeot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Mustang, 2.7 Bronco, F355
Iā€™m glad you posted the Ferrari. Thatā€™s a great combination there with the latest technology and bells / whistles with the ecoboost and then the sick collection Ferrari. Good for you
It's the iconic battle every day in my garage... Ford vs Ferrari. Both cars have their place in my garage (along with the 6g Bronco which has been amazing).

Sofa King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost, Vapor Blue, HPP
I'll admit it... I am a EcoBoost lover.

It all started when I took the wife's 2006 V6 Mustang to the dealer for the old airbag recall. Decided to look at the new Mustangs while waiting. They had a Royal Crimson S550 EcoBoost and I loved the color. Took it for a test drive and could not believe how much better it was compared to the old V6. Long story short, I never drove that V6 again... drove away in a new S550. Though this is my wife's car, it always put a smile on my face the rare times she let me drive it. We did the Ford Performance Power Pack (tune) on it for a little extra HP.
I started looking to order a 23 MY EcoBoost but the order window was short due to the 24MY orders opening early. I looked at some Mach 1's that seemed to be on all the lots at the time, but I have a couple other cars with rumbling V8's, so that wasn't important to me at the time. With all the talk of global warming, I almost feel guilty driving them. The EcoBoost gives great mileage without much sacrifice of performance.

So I ordered the 24 EcoBoost Premium fully loaded (HPP, AVE, MR) and I love it!
S650 Mustang Almost no love for the Ecoboost 20231031_172934~3

JamesAnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt
I heard an ecoboost go past the other day and to be honest i was embarrased for the driver, it was not a good sound, maybe the S650 has improved on this.

In the UK, Ford doesn't sell the ecoboost anymore, due to such poor sales.

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
I wouldn't say the EcoBoost gets no love, but its never going to get the same love as the V8 models.

The S650 is a big car! It having a 4cyl turbo power train doesn't make much sense when you compare it to the other carswith 4 cyl turbo power trains.

If I wanted a Turbo 4, I would have kept my 22 Civic Si. Its smaller, lighter, stiffer, better MPG and handles extremely well in stock form.

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
I'll admit it... I am a EcoBoost lover.
With all the talk of global warming, I almost feel guilty driving them.
Lay off the news man!
The V8 meets California emissions, its not some inefficient smog machine.

The carbon footprint of your V8 is not going to change anything when China is destroying the world producing every other product we use.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I heard an ecoboost go past the other day and to be honest i was embarrased for the driver, it was not a good sound, maybe the S650 has improved on this.

In the UK, Ford doesn't sell the ecoboost anymore, due to such poor sales.
Yes, I heard one of them at Sam's Club but I also heard one of them on youtube that they were pushing pretty hard. It sounded far different and much more like a race car.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I also was spooked because of Fords first attempt to introduce a turbo 4 banger about 83 or 84. Ford only went half way in the design and the engine was done for after about 30,000 miles. They seem to have corrected the mistake because the engine is being used in multiple vehicles without issue.
To be fair, basically all 80s engines had trash reliablity compared to modern ones.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
To be fair, basically all 80s engines had trash reliablity compared to modern ones.
They took a regular engine and slapped a turbo on it. The internals were fine until they attempted to get twice the horse power out of it which was more than it was designed to handle. Diesels are turbo charged but from the start the internals are designed with the turbo in mind and they can handle up to 500.000 miles before they need work. Ford was careless back then but they learned and I haven't heard of weakness in the modern engines.
Still once bitten, I prefer an engine that doesn't need to be boosted as I am more interested in endurance than horse power. My car will stay naturally aspirated even though I know they just bumped it to 800 or more horse power if your willing to pay for it.

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Diesels are turbo charged but from the start the internals are designed with the turbo in mind and they can handle up to 500.000 miles before they need work.
As a former Power Stroke Diesel rep for Ford covering the 6.9L, 7.3L all variants (turbo, in between, and non turbo), 6.0L, and 6.4L; I couldn't laugh at this any more. I also deal with small, med, and big bore engines now. Cummins, Mack, Volvo, Isuzu, Hino, Mitsubishi. This comment made my day. Haven't laughed this hard silently in a long time.. :bandit:

OP
OP

mpeugeot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Mustang, 2.7 Bronco, F355
They took a regular engine and slapped a turbo on it. The internals were fine until they attempted to get twice the horse power out of it which was more than it was designed to handle. Diesels are turbo charged but from the start the internals are designed with the turbo in mind and they can handle up to 500.000 miles before they need work. Ford was careless back then but they learned and I haven't heard of weakness in the modern engines.
Still once bitten, I prefer an engine that doesn't need to be boosted as I am more interested in endurance than horse power. My car will stay naturally aspirated even though I know they just bumped it to 800 or more horse power if your willing to pay for it.
There is some truth to the N/A motor being superior in overall engine life; however, several of Ford's ecoboost motors have made a convert of me...

Notably my 3.5 first gen ecoboost in my 2011 F-150 has 250k miles without any major issues and my 2.7 engine in my 2021 Bronco has 86k problem free miles. Shocking to me to be honest... Both of them still pull hard.

Ford has stepped up with the Ecoboost motors in general, although there are still issues and not all is milk and honey despite my personal experiences.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I feel ya, I'm probably still a few years off from getting a mustang, but our two existing cars, a 2017 explorer and a 2022 maverick hybrid both use NA motors, and are extremely reliable. The 2.5 hybrid system is widely believed to be one of the most reliable powertrains on sale.

On the topic of turbodiesels, yeah, the newer ones are great. I'd argue the 6.7 power stroke is easily the best motor Ford's ever put in the super duty. We're already seeing several show up with over a million miles on the original engine, the highest I've seen is one that had just over 1.3 million miles on a 2011. So turbocharged engines can be very reliable, but like you said, they just need to be designed with boost in mind, which, from my understanding, all modern Ford turbocharged motors are.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
As a former Power Stroke Diesel rep for Ford covering the 6.9L, 7.3L all variants (turbo, in between, and non turbo), 6.0L, and 6.4L; I couldn't laugh at this any more. I also deal with small, med, and big bore engines now. Cummins, Mack, Volvo, Isuzu, Hino, Mitsubishi. This comment made my day. Haven't laughed this hard silently in a long time.. :bandit:
The 6.0 and 6.4 are trash, but the 6.7 is great, it' an extremely durable engine.

DannyJ7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost Premium, Carbonized Gray
I took delivery of my 24 EB Premium 24 Aug 2023, so probably one of the first to get theirs. Just hit 4,000 miles on it yesterday. Straight up EB Premium, no PP or any other options.

1. Car is big (dimensions wise). I believe 3600 lbs in EB premium trim.
2. Power (and delivery) is more than enough for me, even given it's size and weight, but I bought it as a traditional "GT" car, meaning comfortable for long trips and some enthusiastic drives on side roads.
3. Sound is not awesome, but not horrible. I'm really looking forward to some great aftermarket cat-back options to help here.
4. 37 MPG highway is pretty f***ing awesome given the performance and weight of it. That's what I get when not pushing hard. Not hypermiling, but not pushing it.

Love the car. Not everyone will, and I get why they wouldn't. Even with the relevant "shortcomings" I wouldn't change the order I made, with the small exception that I would have sprung for the NP package.
Sponsored