• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

4/6 months Mustang at the dealership workshop facing issues

undertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
After nearly a decade of waiting, I finally fulfilled my dream of owning a Mustang. When I was getting my first car, my parents vetoed the idea, citing concerns about reckless driving typical of teenagers. But now, after years of waiting, I finally ordered one last March and saved up to pay in full and take delivery in September. Since then, I have driven it only 1700 miles and it’s been at the Ford workshop for the 4/6 months.

However, my excitement was short-lived. In the first month alone, I encountered four significant issues:

1. Wheel alignment problems, causing the car to drift slightly.
  2. An annoying squeaky noise from the brake pedal whenever I applied the brakes, even at low speeds.
  3. Audible rear suspension issues, with every minor bump revealing its looseness.
  4. A ticking sound when reversing or shifting from Park.
Fast forward 4-5 weeks later, got the car back. They assured me that they had resolved issues 1, 3, and 4. However, when it came to the brake pedal noise, they admitted they could not identify the cause or detect any defects, advising me to tolerate it, which was frustrating.

Despite eagerly waiting, the car's condition worsened upon delivery, with the wheel alignment issue exacerbated and the ticking sound persisting.

I revisited the dealership in the first week of February and reported the same three issues with my car. Simultaneously, I requested a loaner vehicle. They informed me that the wait time for a loaner was estimated to be 3-4 weeks, which fortunately aligned well with my schedule.

They have assured me that all issues are fixed except for the wheel alignment problem. Initially, they suspected a strut issue and waited for a new strut for 2-3 weeks. However, after installing it this week, the drifting problem persisted. Now, they're considering if it might be a framing issue and intend to send it to the body shop for further inspection.

Throughout this ordeal, I have not been provided with a loaner vehicle. It appears that my name was not entered on the list for loaners by the technician, who later left the company. After following up 4 weeks later, I was informed that my name was not on the list and needed to be added. Two days later, another technician claimed that my name had been on the list since February, but due to vehicle retirements, the wait time for a loaner is now 7-8 weeks—a statement I find dubious.

It's incredibly frustrating to find myself in this situation, being without a car for 4 to 6 months with no clear end in sight. It's infuriating to think that I might end up parting ways with it without ever truly getting to enjoy it.
Sponsored

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
Don't waste any more time. You have given them more than enough chances. Contact a good lemon law lawyer in your area and get your money back or a replacement car. Do it today. Will take a month or two to get it done. It sounds like you have surpassed the 30 days in the shop or 3 tries to get the car fixed.

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
That all sounds really frustrating. For the drifting issue, did you have the lane keeping system on, that can cause a "floating feeling" .

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Have you tried another dealership? Instead of using the dealership that was 10 miles away from me, I reached out to one that was 50 miles away from me, that was able to address my issue (instead of waiting 6 months for my original dealer/service department) on my 2017 F-150 and provided me with a loaner. They even met me at my house to do the swap.

OP
OP

undertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Don't waste any more time. You have given them more than enough chances. Contact a good lemon law lawyer in your area and get your money back or a replacement car. Do it today. Will take a month or two to get it done. It sounds like you have surpassed the 30 days in the shop or 3 tries to get the car fixed.
Didn't know you could do that. I'll look into it definitely

OP
OP

undertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
That all sounds really frustrating. For the drifting issue, did you have the lane keeping system on, that can cause a "floating feeling" .
It's not floating. Last time I had it, it was moving across to the other lane even on slower speeds with or without the lane assist

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

I agree if you have met all of the states Lemon Law requirements then contact a lawyer.

Going to a different dealership will not fix nothing and is not a very good choice right now.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Before contacting an attorney, simply ask the dealership to contact for and being a lemon law buyback. I can't speak for all dealerships, but mine would absolutely do it for me. In fact, they offered it on my F150 simply because it was taking them a long time to enable BlueCruise on my 2021 Job 1 truck. I declined and waited patiently for things to get squared away (which I actually helped get done).

OP
OP

undertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Before contacting an attorney, simply ask the dealership to contact for and being a lemon law buyback. I can't speak for all dealerships, but mine would absolutely do it for me. In fact, they offered it on my F150 simply because it was taking them a long time to enable BlueCruise on my 2021 Job 1 truck. I declined and waited patiently for things to get squared away (which I actually helped get done).
Sorry can you elaborate? What exactly do you mean when you say "ask the dealership to contact for and being a lemon law buyback."?

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
Sorry can you elaborate? What exactly do you mean when you say "ask the dealership to contact for and being a lemon law buyback."?
Get a notebook and write down everything that's happened from when you noticed the issue to date. Keep a log. Documentation is king. Sorry about this, stay patient and even when dealing with dealerships. Excess anger and emotion are not needed, frustration is okay and human.

Nov 1 - Car drifting hard left
Nov 5 - Spoke to dealer & made appointment
Nov 10-14 - Car in shop
Nov 15 - "Tech/Rep Name at Dealership" said this was the issue and it was fixed
Nov 17 - Car drifting hard left again...
etc...

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Sorry, typos.

"Simply ask the dealership to contact Ford and begin a lemon law buyback."

Literally tell them you want them to contact Ford and request that the start the lemon law buyback process. You don't HAVE to use an attorney to sue them to do this if they are willing. Again, my dealership offered to do this for me. Then again, I have a long relationship with them (14 new vehicles purchased or leased over the past 18 years).

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Asking the dealership to contact Ford really depends on your relationship with the dealership. If you have a good relations ship with them that might be the route to go for you.

If not then contact a Lemon Law Lawyer and HAVE all of your paperwork ready.

A Lemon Law Lawyer will talk to Ford directly and will get things done quickly and in Your favor.

They rarely ever "sue" the manufactures. They just negotiate for you.

Depending on the case I have seen buy backs of vehicles that had negative equity and offers for a new vehicle with extended Factory warranties.

OP
OP

undertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
@roadpilot and @HWill

I just moved to Texas last year and only ever owned 1 car before the Mustang. In short - don't have any relationship with the dealership yet. But I can go and try to speak to them first obviously as recommended. Who should I go speak with? The service manager, dealership manager or the salesman?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consumer-protection/lemon-law

OP, sorry to read you've been having such problems. You've already been digging into options and ways ahead.

FWIW, I see two pathways:

1) try another dealer and start over. Dealers are not paid well for warranty work. And this dealer just might not have depth of personnel to look into more troubling concerns. A high personnel turnover or difficulty getting details at a business is a sign of problems.

Trying another dealer could be worthwhile if the car is special to you. But by now you're probably worried about what else might be lurking

2) Notify the dealer and being working with the TX DMV to apply for a buyback. From my initial reviews, it reads like you qualify to apply, now

In general (details below), 4 tries to fix the same problem or 30 days downtime in the first 2 years, 24,000 mi / 38,400 km.

Every situation is different. It might be a good idea to initiate item 2 first and see what shakes out before retaining a lawyer. Depending on that initial feedback, and whatever support is gifted by the state, a lawyer might not be necessary. Hopefully, those initial conversations will give you a feel for things.

Agree with logging and detailing everything as much as possible. If a lawyer is retained, they'll appreciate being gifted a package to start with.

Regardless of option selected, it could also be worthwhile to contact Ford Customer Service, initiate a case/ticket and explain what you've been going through. The additional documentation couldn't hurt, and they might open more repair options or assist with buyback process.

https://www.ford.com/help/contact/

If you have time, we'd like to be kept updated.

Good Luck. :please:

@Ford Motor Company

"Four-times test
You pass the four-times test if you have taken the vehicle to a dealership for repairs:

Four times for the same defect within the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first, and the defect is still not repaired."

"30-day test
You pass the 30-day test if your vehicle has been out of service for repair because of a defect covered by the original factory warranty:

For a total of 30 days or more - not necessarily all at one time - during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles (if a comparable loaner vehicle was provided while the vehicle was being repaired, that time does not count toward the 30 days) a substantial defect still exists."

"The consumer files a Lemon Law complaint with the $35 filing fee with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles and provides notice of the complaint with a last opportunity to repair defect to the applicable manufacturer.

For the fastest processing of your complaint, go to the Motor Vehicle Dealer Online Complaint System.

The complaint is reviewed by Lemon Law Section administrative staff and the assigned TxDMV staff case advisor for completeness of the complaint and eligibility for statutory relief, and an attempt to resolve the complaint through mediation between the parties will be made.

If unresolved, the matter will be referred for a hearing before an assigned hearing examiner in which both parties will be able to present their case. For information about the hearing process see the Office of Administrative Hearings.

The hearing examiner will issue a final written decision to the parties on the matter within 60 days after the close of the hearing; and

Either party may challenge the final order by filing a motion for rehearing with TxDMV. If still dissatisfied, the aggrieved party may file an appeal with a state district court in Travis County, Texas.

Because the filing deadline and other requirements are very specific, call the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Lemon Law Section for more information or assistance concerning warranty repair problems at (888) 368-4689, or promptly consult legal counsel of your choice."

Last edited:
OP
OP

undertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consumer-protection/lemon-law

OP, sorry to read you've been having such problems. You've already been digging into options and ways ahead.

FWIW, I see two pathways:

1) try another dealer and start over. Dealers are not paid well for warranty work. And this dealer just might not have depth of personnel to look into more troubling concerns. A high personnel turnover or difficulty getting details at a business is a sign of problems.

Trying another dealer could be worthwhile if the car is special to you. But by now you're probably worried about what else might be lurking

2) Notify the dealer and being working with the TX DMV to apply for a buyback. From my initial reviews, it reads like you qualify to apply, now

In general (details below), 4 tries to fix the same problem or 30 days downtime in the first 2 years, 24,000 mi / 38,400 km.

Every situation is different. It might be a good idea to initiate item 2 first and see what shakes out before retaining a lawyer. Depending on that initial feedback, and whatever support is gifted by the state, a lawyer might not be necessary. Hopefully, those initial conversations will give you a feel for things.

Agree with logging and detailing everything as much as possible. If a lawyer is retained, they'll appreciate being gifted a package to start with.

Regardless of option selected, it could also be worthwhile to contact Ford Customer Service, initiate a case/ticket and explain what you've been going through. The additional documentation couldn't hurt, and they might open more repair options or assist with buyback process.

https://www.ford.com/help/contact/

If you have time, we'd like to be kept updated.

Good Luck. :please:

@Ford Motor Company

"Four-times test
You pass the four-times test if you have taken the vehicle to a dealership for repairs:

Four times for the same defect within the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first, and the defect is still not repaired."

"30-day test
You pass the 30-day test if your vehicle has been out of service for repair because of a defect covered by the original factory warranty:

For a total of 30 days or more - not necessarily all at one time - during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles (if a comparable loaner vehicle was provided while the vehicle was being repaired, that time does not count toward the 30 days) a substantial defect still exists."

"The consumer files a Lemon Law complaint with the $35 filing fee with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles and provides notice of the complaint with a last opportunity to repair defect to the applicable manufacturer.

For the fastest processing of your complaint, go to the Motor Vehicle Dealer Online Complaint System.

The complaint is reviewed by Lemon Law Section administrative staff and the assigned TxDMV staff case advisor for completeness of the complaint and eligibility for statutory relief, and an attempt to resolve the complaint through mediation between the parties will be made.

If unresolved, the matter will be referred for a hearing before an assigned hearing examiner in which both parties will be able to present their case. For information about the hearing process see the Office of Administrative Hearings.

The hearing examiner will issue a final written decision to the parties on the matter within 60 days after the close of the hearing; and

Either party may challenge the final order by filing a motion for rehearing with TxDMV. If still dissatisfied, the aggrieved party may file an appeal with a state district court in Travis County, Texas.

Because the filing deadline and other requirements are very specific, call the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Lemon Law Section for more information or assistance concerning warranty repair problems at (888) 368-4689, or promptly consult legal counsel of your choice."
Thanks for the suggestion. I also believe option 2 is better right now. From what I understand you're suggesting I file the complaint directly rather than going through a lemon law firm.

I honestly want to get this resolved as amicably as possible
Sponsored