• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
What I find amusing is going back to some of the original pricing threads on the Mach 1. How it was so overpriced, how it was nothing more than a PP2 with coolers, that a Camaro XXX was a better value. Here it is now 2023 and we are having the exact conversation about the Dark Horse. Based on the success of the Mach 1 I do not think Ford will have a problem selling them.

One other thing is that value is in the eye of the beholder and cost is relative.
For cars at these price points, to some degree itā€™s always going to be specific to the desires of an individual, itā€™s not purely ā€œI need a sports car and A offers more capability for lessā€. There are plenty of die-hard Mustang fans who will only buy Ford, and really at that point itā€™s more Ford negotiating what they will pay to move out of their previous cars.

To me though, my next car may very well be a C8/9. Iā€™ve enjoyed having 2+2 and a manual, but I came here from the MX-5 community, and it wonā€™t take much to get me to try something else. The price/value keeps getting worse year for year, and Iā€™m not going to stick with Ford just because they are Ford.
Sponsored

AussieBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nil
To be honest I do actually agree with the dark horse not offering the best value when compared to lessor models. But It do think it does have a place in the market at the asking price.

There is something to be said about the a tremec and wider rims/tires from factory though.
I'm actually interested in why folks think that the DH is overpriced? The Tremec upgrade, Magnaride, cooling and bottom end improvements would cost a lot more than the price difference to get upgraded after purchase.

For someone that is doing a bit of spirited driving or a couple of track days a year I feel that it is definitely worth the price. It won't make you a whole bunch faster but will save maintenance in the long run and you get more reliable, consistent performance.

Maybe if you are looking for track times and rebuilding regularly you are going to replace that stuff with aftermarket components, but in that case you are probably spending way more than the difference anyway.

Blueberrystang2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT manual
I'm actually interested in why folks think that the DH is overpriced? The Tremec upgrade, Magnaride, cooling and bottom end improvements would cost a lot more than the price difference to get upgraded after purchase.

For someone that is doing a bit of spirited driving or a couple of track days a year I feel that it is definitely worth the price. It won't make you a whole bunch faster but will save maintenance in the long run and you get more reliable, consistent performance.

Maybe if you are looking for track times and rebuilding regularly you are going to replace that stuff with aftermarket components, but in that case you are probably spending way more than the difference anyway.
Totally agree

KAlexander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 CCLB Plat, 2018 GT350, 20 ZX6R, 20 ZX10R
The real question is, everyone thatā€™s going for the dark horse. How many of yā€™all will REALLY be able to get one
The only reason why I wouldn't get one is if it's over 70k and/or I lose my job. Because I'd rather just get a 500 at that point, or if I lost my job...then...duh.

KAlexander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 CCLB Plat, 2018 GT350, 20 ZX6R, 20 ZX10R
appearance package allows you to get Blue Ember, plus gives you the Notorious Blue with Grabber Blue brake calipers, and maybe (this is still unconfirmed) blue carbon fiber wheels instead of black
I'm sure this has been answered but what's different from the base vs prem? DH

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT
Iā€™ll take a GT with a whipple and custom SIGNATURE wheels, all for less than DH msrp.

thatā€™s just me thoughā€¦ canā€™t wait to see how these gen4 coyotes get down.
Without trying to sound old (I am a millennial haha) the days of modding are probably over for me. I put high value on warranty and insurance. This is where the Dark Horse would come into play for people like me who want a stock car and want to drive it for years to come. I won`t worry about something breaking or insurance not covering full cost of mods. Just giving a different perspective.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT

Looking at it from a performance point of view compared to a GT it doesn`t offer a lot more by the numbers.

Looking at it from a mechanical parts point of view its totally worth it. Plus its all covered warranty and insurance. You just have to value the parts more than the performance figures which I do. I sold my GT last year and waiting to place a order for a GT performance pack or Dark Horse. Good chance I go with the Dark Horse but I see both points of view.

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Yeah I never have warranty worries, wouldnā€™t want stock replacement stuff anywayā€¦ if the motor let go I want better rods, pistons hardware etc.

Last edited:

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
The bottom end is a good point on value for the VERY few who would use it. The DH is a track focused car. The gen 3 5.0s can make north of 600whp safely...beyond a professional driver, who can actually use that HP on a road course? So to the vast majority of buyers, that's nothing but a reason to charge more.

Let's be honest, people could spec out a mach 1 to 68K.... 68K! The DH fully loaded (sans CF wheels) is now what? $1900 over that, so call it 70K. The DH is overpriced because the Mach 1 was overpriced in the 22 and 23 MYs. We are seeing this now as new mach 1s that had mark-ups 3 months ago are now selling thousands under MSRP.

I still stick to my point of, for a new car, in its segment, you can't really gripe about its price. Going by performance value, ordering a DH at MSRP is not there. Now if someone picks one up, this time next year, at 3-5K under MSRP, ok sure. But that's not happening.

Korvus15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang
Looking at it from a performance point of view compared to a GT it doesn`t offer a lot more by the numbers.

Looking at it from a mechanical parts point of view its totally worth it. Plus its all covered warranty and insurance. You just have to value the parts more than the performance figures which I do. I sold my GT last year and waiting to place a order for a GT performance pack or Dark Horse. Good chance I go with the Dark Horse but I see both points of view.
100% this. It's all in what you want.

If someone wants the GT cool, great. It packs as much power (by the numbers) than the outgoing Mach 1 (slightly more with the Active Exhaust).

But if you want that extra look with the rear wing, the parts that come from shelby...or even just the name. Go for it.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 GT vert A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 6MT
OK, itā€™s early and Iā€™m on my first cup of coffee so if this seems dumb cut me some slack. Itā€™s hard to ignore price but suspending reality for a minute what is the actual everyday functional difference between a 22-23 Mach 1 and a 24 DH for a spirited street driver? I emphasize ā€œstreet driverā€ because I concede the extra 30 claimed hp might make some difference on the track. But to the large majority of drivers who will never venture onto the track I donā€™t think it will matter much. My 22 is pretty thrilling already.

Iā€™m not trying to justify my 22. If I want to trade I can do so. Iā€™m not stuck. I do prefer the S550 styling but itā€™s no huge deal. But I wonder if weā€™re making too big of a deal about something we already have? Is the DH really big news? And honestly Iā€™m still having a hard time getting past the inability to tune the car if you want to.

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 2022 MT
Now if someone picks one up, this time next year, at 3-5K under MSRP, ok sure. But that's not happening.
Especially since MSRP this time next year will be higher than the launch MSRP.

The window to be able to afford a Tremec is closing fast.
Sponsored