• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2024 (ish) Challenger reveal during Dodge Speed Week?

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
News link @ Challenger4G.com:

Dodge to Reveal Future Muscle (Next-Gen Challenger) Vehicles During Dodge Speed Week Aug 15-17

I am seeing reports that Dodge could be revealing the next gen Challenger (maybe just the concept) at speed week, possibly August 17 during a "Future Muscle" presentation.

I think it would be very interesting to see what Dodge is bringing to the table for it's entry into the muscle car area. Competition between automakers is a good thing, as it keeps everyone pushing forward. Right now, I am expecting a full electric. However, I've even seen some recent reports like this one from Motor Trend ( https://www.motortrend.com/news/next-gen-dodge-charger-challenger-hellcat-v8/ ) which seem to indicate that an ICE/hybrid version may still be available in the future. Who knows, maybe there will be a single model with both a BEV and an ICE or ICE-hybrid version.

This could preview what Ford may plan for the Mustang in the future (either 8g or a hybrid 7g version), or serve as a warning of what not to do.

It's one week away, so let's see what the future has in store for Ford's competition.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
Motortrends article was a false claim. Motor1 reached out to a Dodge spokeperson who confirmed that there won't be any new ICE Charger or Challenger, the models will be 100% EVs with the upcoming model.
https://www.motor1.com/news/601368/next-gen-dodge-charger-challenger-electric/

Dodge said they will reveal their EV muscle car concept this year, so it's about time they show something.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yep, it'll be a full EV. Whilst I wish they'd keep the Hemi V8 going, its not to be. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like.......from their initial teaser image, it appears it'll still retain the retro looks, and I'm all for that!

Vickstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Motortrends article was a false claim. Motor1 reached out to a Dodge spokeperson who confirmed that there won't be any new ICE Charger or Challenger, the models will be 100% EVs with the upcoming model.
https://www.motor1.com/news/601368/next-gen-dodge-charger-challenger-electric/

Dodge said they will reveal their EV muscle car concept this year, so it's about time they show something.
https://www.challenger4g.com/forum/...nger-will-be-electric-only.10838/#post-156832

As it is noted here MT is sticking to their story even after Dodge's statement. Their reasoning is believable IMO, but we shall see.

If it does get replaced by an inline 6 it is just one step closer before it goes full EV. Pure stop gap.

OP
OP

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Honestly, I don't know if an EV would be right for me or not. First off, it would depend on the range. anything less than 350 miles won't work for me if I want to use it on my road trips (90 percent of my vacations are road trips). 500 miles would be a heck of a lot better.

Next, it has to look good. Current Challenger/Charger looks are pretty good for a Dodge. While I prefer some of the Ford looks, Dodge isn't always horrible. That said, their interior isn't up to the same quality as the Mustang 6g has been, even though I like the layout better. (I loved the old 89-97 Thunderbird cockpit style layout)

Finally, it has to perform well. I don't need 2s 6-60 times, but mid 4s or 5s would be really really nice. anything 7 or over would not make the cut. Handling also needs to be there. This is maybe where the new platform will come in, but batteries are HEAVY. while it will have a low CoG, it's still going to take some serious rubber to move this beast around a corner.

Lots to look forward to in the next few months.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
A "muscle car" without an engine.

We've reached peak levels of absurdity.

Where I come from, a muscle car has an engine. That's what it is.

Got a ride in my friend's dual motor Model 3 - meh. Does nothing for me. Golf cart with doors.
Good for getting around, but doesn't titillate my juices.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!

Got a ride in my friend's dual motor Model 3 - meh. Does nothing for me. Golf cart with doors.
That's racist, bro!!

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
To me, a muscle car is just a car that prioritizes tire shredding power over creature comforts. I think an electric muscle car can work, but it needs to differentiate from the standard tesla design

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To me, a muscle car is just a car that prioritizes tire shredding power over creature comforts. I think an electric muscle car can work, but it needs to differentiate from the standard tesla design
They way an electric just goes with no fuss, that's the problem. I like the fuss.
I love the mechanical aspect of engines - so if no engine, a vehicle loses a lot for me.
Then it becomes something less than an automobile. :inlove:

All good though - I don't give a crap what they make or what people buy. Except for the Mach-E -that damned thing.

OP
OP

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Seems that some have a bias against electric.

Let's face it, electric cars can also be performance cars.

As for "engine"...I cannot count the number of times I have heard an engine being called a motor. That car has a big motor. Inboard and outboard motors on boats, etc.

So disqualifying a high performance vehicle just because it doesn't have an ICE is just silly.

Finally, I know that someone will pull out the "but it can't go around corners" card. Guess what, neither could a lot of American made vehicles up until recently. Probably the first one would have been the 2012 BOSS. Prior to that, the Mustang was pretty much a straight line car.

As for a model 3...sorry, that's like saying a Chevy Malibu, a Dodge Challenger SXT (with the V6) or a BMW 528 is a performance car. The performance cars are the Dodge Challenger Scat Pack, the Hellcat/Super Stock. the BMW M550 and M5 in that series, and Chevy doesn't really have one. You are looking at at least the performance model 3 or the base Model S for the Tesla, not the RWD model 3 which has the lowest performance of the three models. (Note, the Malibu isn't that far off the performance times that a new 1966 unmodified Mustang would have done.)

Back to the original subject. Having a competitor like Dodge or Chevrolet made Ford push what the Mustang could do. With out that competition, Ford just sat on it's crown and did absolutely nothing. Sort of like Intel did with no serious competition from a third party manufacturer. Now that AMD is nipping at it's heels (or been surpassed by them) Intel is starting to push hard to design and put out good chips. I can't wait to see what Dodge does and how Ford will move the Mustang forward in response in future years.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Of course I have a huge bias against EVs. They're stupid and they suck.

You're going on about a lot there.
-Technically and Engine is different than a motor - but you know that. Not sure what your point is.
-A Model 3 performance does 0-60 in 3 seconds. It's dual motor performance model. I said that.
-Who cares, a battle between electric cars. Yawn. I'll keep the shit I have now.

If you think that people like me (there's many of us) will buy a Mustang when it's electric only, then you got another thing comin.

Once the world is all EV and everyone buys one we can all wank each other in a giant circle jerk over how many newton/meters of torques we have a 1 rpm.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package

with a 4 barrel Holly carb and a 4 speed pistol grip transmission...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Dodge shouldn't dirty the Challenger (or Charger) names by putting hybrid or electric drivetrains in them. I'm not a big Dodge person, but I like what they've done in the last 10 years or so.

It's really a sad day when great cars are turned into appliances.
Sponsored