• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2024 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Potentially Spotted Testing With Current Model

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
But I guess they went with Mach 1 to try and recover some from the disaster that was naming the Mach E a Mach and a Mustang.
Disaster is a strong word for a vehicle that hit its sales goals with ease and got rave reviews both as a car and in comparison to its competitors. I know we enthusiasts had to let our ego's heal, but the other 98% of people in the world were un-phased by the name. If anything I'd be willing to bet if they'd named it anything else, it probably wouldn't have been a sales flop that consumers never would have noticed.
Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 02 150, 06 250
Disaster is a strong word for a vehicle that hit its sales goals with ease and got rave reviews both as a car and in comparison to its competitors. I know we enthusiasts had to let our ego's heal, but the other 98% of people in the world were un-phased by the name. If anything I'd be willing to bet if they'd named it anything else, it probably wouldn't have been a sales flop that consumers never would have noticed.
I've gotten alot of feedback from folks I know who are unhappy with the name, and they are not car folk. nice CUV, but should have had a diff name.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just wondering what it is exactly in your opinion that makes the new generation more of a Boss than a Mach 1?
The Boss (302) was more of a track focused and competition focused car, whereas the Mach was more of a street bruiser, made for the straights. The new Mach is great in the twisties, fastest non cobra mustang ever, by a lot. However, it brings nothing to the table in the straights/streets over a GT. I think the right build on a M1 would have been a destroked 7.3 pushrod and stiffer rear suspension for better launches instead, maybe even gearing. think the old school 'drag pack' they had as options.

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've gotten alot of feedback from folks I know who are unhappy with the name, and they are not car folk. nice CUV, but should have had a diff name.
For sure, I've hard plenty of people not liking it as well, however anecdotal statements simply can't override sales success. I'd bet my dollar anyone who saying "I like it as a car but I won't buy it because of the name" is someone who wouldn't have bought it regardless of what it's called.

I love my Mustang GTPP, but if Ford had called it the "Thundercat Kitty Cupcake".... I still would've bought it.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Just wondering what it is exactly in your opinion that makes the new generation more of a Boss than a Mach 1?
You didn't ask me, but a Mach 1 is more of a luxury package, and the Boss was strictly road race. The 69, 7, 71 Mach had nicer interior, more stickers, etc, but you could get anything you wanted on a non Mach 1 car. Like Shakers, Cobra Jet engines , Ram Air, whatever.

The Boss - more stripped down with racing stuff, like suspension or teh Boss 302/351 engines.
That's what the current Mach is. It's their best road racing rig before the Shelby stuff.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You didn't ask me, but a Mach 1 is more of a luxury package, and the Boss was strictly road race. The 69, 7, 71 Mach had nicer interior, more stickers, etc, but you could get anything you wanted on a non Mach 1 car. Like Shakers, Cobra Jet engines , Ram Air, whatever.

The Boss - more stripped down with racing stuff, like suspension or teh Boss 302/351 engines.
That's what the current Mach is. It's their best road racing rig before the Shelby stuff.
that is true, the Mach was debuted as a more luxury performance option

oo Hi Fi oo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
For sure, I've hard plenty of people not liking it as well, however anecdotal statements simply can't override sales success. I'd bet my dollar anyone who saying "I like it as a car but I won't buy it because of the name" is someone who wouldn't have bought it regardless of what it's called.

I love my Mustang GTPP, but if Ford had called it the "Thundercat Kitty Cupcake".... I still would've bought it.
I'd go for Thundercat kitty or kitty cupcake but all 3? I would have to pass.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
I'd unironically own one. Maybe simplify the name to "Thunderkitty Cupcake" and you'd have a real sleeper Mustang on your hands. :rockon:

(Maybe include a trim exclusive baby pink metallic exterior paint with it too?)

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI

I get what your saying, but I don’t consider Mach 1 to be a stripped down road racer at all. Also the original Mach 1 was essentially a performance option above the GT with visual and performance upgrades including engine, transmission, and suspension. Ultimately if the new generation had to be compared to the performance variants of the 1st gen Mustang it would probably be a blend of both Boss and Mach 1. The Mach 1 premium has every luxury option available in the mustang while also giving it every possible performance upgrade. The base Mach 1 would be as striped down as you could get. Maybe they should have had two separate models. A Boss which is essentially the base Mach 1 and a make the current Mach 1 premium and call that the Mach 1. OOOORRR just take the name plate that was a performance upgrade over the GT when it first arrived and bring it into this century and create a performance upgrade over the GT which just happens to be the fastest non Shelby street cruiser and track car all in one! What a brilliant idea! I personally don’t see why everyone needs to try to compare current models and trims directly to cars from the 60’s & 70’s. We're living in a different world of cars right now and car makers have the ability and the right to revolutionize what their marque models and trims represent.

Edit: You have to remember that Ford was literally selling MILLIONS of these cars in the first generation so they had the ability to market and sell multiple performance trim levels concurrently and not have an issue with one taking away sales from another.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Edit: You have to remember that Ford was literally selling MILLIONS of these cars in the first generation so they had the ability to market and sell multiple performance trim levels concurrently and not have an issue with one taking away sales from another.
and they managed to pair up the correct parts to the correct car using clip-boards, paper and pen. We now have computers, RFID, and code scanners which would suggest a zero error rate and yet Ford blows it badly.

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI
and they managed to pair up the correct parts to the correct car using clip-boards, paper and pen. We now have computers, RFID, and code scanners which would suggest a zero error rate and yet Ford blows it badly.
… umm ok. Not sure how this has anything to do with the conversation, but you do you.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Would make sense, a boss with a hybrid system could easily make 550-600 hp, making it an excellent gt350 replacement providing they can nail the handling and keep the weight down. I've heard the voodoo won't be making a return, but the predator probably will, which is interesting. Imagine a halo mustang with the gt500's engine and a hybrid system, along with things like active areo and some composite components to reduce weight. That would be an awesome car to send off the last ICE mustang with.
Hybrid would be like a Hellcat, not a road racer. You can't add useful motors and batteries and associated hardware without increasing weight significantly.

From my understanding, ford engineered the mustang to oversteer easily to make it more fun to drive. Kinda like what Toyota did with the gt86. So the car being "unglued" isn't necessarily a bad thing imo.
Have you driven a Mustang? They are understeer city. Of course they make big power so they CAN oversteer under power. However, S550 Mustangs are firmly in understeer territory in typical driving. I've even tried some limited trail braking into corners and it takes a lot to induce oversteer.

No, most people think it was a douchey move by Ford. I haven't had anyone who's an enthusiast or not come up to me and say nothing or say the name was a good move. They all say it was a bad move by Ford.

Ford's sales goals must have been EXTREMELY modest if they met them.

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, most people think it was a douchey move by Ford. I haven't had anyone who's an enthusiast or not come up to me and say nothing or say the name was a good move. They all say it was a bad move by Ford.

Ford's sales goals must have been EXTREMELY modest if they met them.
Ill say what I’ve always said, based off of widespread experience in business. Anecdotal evidence isn’t really objective evidence at all and can’t really counter the hard sales numbers. While I believe what you’ve heard, people who don’t like something are statistically far more likely to say something than people who like something, and the screaming about the name has been loud.

At the end of the day it’s just marketing and a name, if you don’t like the car awesome, if you don’t “think it’s a real mustang” or whatever, that’s your prerogative. However no one can objectively call it a “disaster” because a) it’s selling, b)it’s getting rave reviews, and c) people are talking about it, which is the hardest thing to get people to do for most cars.

additionally I have good news, despite the fact that they called it a mustang, I went into my garage this morning to check, and my 2-door GT is still there, you can still buy one, nothing has been taken away from anyone, another complimentary option has simply been presented.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Ill say what I’ve always said, based off of widespread experience in business. Anecdotal evidence isn’t really objective evidence at all and can’t really counter the hard sales numbers. While I believe what you’ve heard, people who don’t like something are statistically far more likely to say something than people who like something, and the screaming about the name has been loud.

At the end of the day it’s just marketing and a name, if you don’t like the car awesome, if you don’t “think it’s a real mustang” or whatever, that’s your prerogative. However no one can objectively call it a “disaster” because a) it’s selling, b)it’s getting rave reviews, and c) people are talking about it, which is the hardest thing to get people to do for most cars.

additionally I have good news, despite the fact that they called it a mustang, I went into my garage this morning to check, and my 2-door GT is still there, you can still buy one, nothing has been taken away from anyone, another complimentary option has simply been presented.
bro. It’s a really cool SUV.

BUT ITS NOT A mustang.
It was a terrible move to call it that and really hurt the Mustang brand in the minds of most.

the vehicle is no more a Mustang than an F150 - which wouldn’t surprise if the new Ford guys want to add an f series into the so called “Mustang family.”

thMustang is a sporty two door CAR Not a truck, not a crossover,not s station wagon snd not a 4 door sedan. Big engine, small car.

you are trying to push something thst most just do t accept. Yes Ford calls an SUV a Mustang. It’s sad, but it is what it is. It will go down in historyas a “what the heck?!?” And not an “oh of course…best thing ever!”

Tes SUVs sell way more than cars these days. Fords entire business pivoted on this info. But you don’t see them calling an SUV a Taurus or Crown Victoria (sheesh. Probably giving them ideas here…).

When people hear “Mustang, they picture a two door, hot, sporty looking smallish car with big power. What they don’t picture is s Ford Explorer with tribar taillights.

man, we really need a Mullaly 2.0 to come along and quickly.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Right. I agree. The hard sales numbers are the Mach E sold fewer than the Ford Edge, which people say is doing poorly and people are speculating that Ford will discontinue it. So, while you say it's selling well - the hard numbers do not say that.

Well of course the Mach E is not anything like what Ford has sold as a Mustang in the past. Ford has never put that name on a 4 door sedan until now. So now the name Mustang no longer means 2 door, sporty vehicle. It just means a product that Ford builds. Nothing more.

Complimentary, huh? I had to look up the definition of that word. I don't think the Mach E is a complementary option.
Sponsored