• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2024 cousins

OP
OP
lcbrownz

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
I don't care about a theoretical pigskin conversation. This is a mustang forum so I addressed the mustang part of your post.
At least modern cars are safer to drive... :inspect:
Ah yes, both cars have wheels, very derivative. In all seriousness, the two cars look nothing alike. The front and rear graphics, the proportions, the rooflines, all of those elements are drastically different. The challenger and Camaro both have squared off, notchback style rooflines. Where are all the comparisons there? Not only do they look similar, extra criticism could be directed towards them because notchbacks look like shit compared to fastbacks.

The only element that's anything like the Camaro is a flared out rear haunch. But that's a muscle car styling trait that goes back to the original mustang/Camaro. If the s650 is a modern interpretation of the first gen mustang, and the current Camaro is a modern take on the first gen Camaro, then doesn't the Camaro look like a mustang? Why are we saying the original ripped off the copycat? That's not how it works guys.
If you drew a rough sketch on a napkin of one of those cars, then ask someone to identify it, 3 of out of 5 would have to guess what it was you were drawing.
Sponsored

Zcarmenb28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Camaro ZL1, 22 Supra 3.0
This has been posted time and time again, but did Ford and Chevy designers share the same luxury boxes at Ford Field? While watching the LIons, someone must have drawn a design on a napkin and the other one stole it. The exteriors of both cars have a striking resemblance.

2024 camaro panther.png

2024 mustang.png
The 6th Gen Camaro started as a 2016 model; there was no napkin sketch theft. And yes, the S650 has a striking resemblance to the 6th Gen Camaro. Ford even copied some of the body lines nearly identically, including the upward sweep of the rear quarter window framing. Those that canā€™t see it are probably the ones who don't like the Camaro and can't fathom the S650 resembling it, or simply canā€™t get past their blind Ford loyalty.

Ah yes, both cars have wheels, very derivative. In all seriousness, the two cars look nothing alike. The front and rear graphics, the proportions, the rooflines, all of those elements are drastically different. The challenger and Camaro both have squared off, notchback style rooflines. Where are all the comparisons there? Not only do they look similar, extra criticism could be directed towards them because notchbacks look like shit compared to fastbacks.
They indeed look very similar - if you can't see it I don't know what to tell you. The Camaro is not a notchback at all. It just has a larger radius roof and slope line than the Mustang making the roof look flatter. Thereā€™s a continuous curve from the roof to the rear window that goes straight into the rear deck, just like the Mustang. The challenger definitely has an angle cut between roof and rear window.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Those that canā€™t see it are probably the ones who don't like the Camaro and can't fathom the S650 resembling it, or simply canā€™t get past their blind Ford loyalty.
Or these people can see some similarities but are old enough to identify two separate cars from two different manufacturers from each other. As mentioned several times before the cars have to be similar as their ā€˜classā€™ is quite limiting in terms of designā€¦ Just look at Aston Martinā€¦ Some of them had more than just a ā€˜striking resemblanceā€™ to several Mustangsā€¦

Maybe you see a copied Camaro because you ā€œcanā€™t get past your blind Camaro loyaltyā€ā€¦ What a stupid claim to begin withā€¦šŸ™„

Zcarmenb28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or these people can see some similarities but are old enough to identify two separate cars from two different manufacturers from each other. As mentioned several times before the cars have to be similar as their ā€˜classā€™ is quite limiting in terms of designā€¦ Just look at Aston Martinā€¦ Some of them had more than just a ā€˜striking resemblanceā€™ to several Mustangsā€¦

Maybe you see a copied Camaro because you ā€œcanā€™t get past your blind Camaro loyaltyā€ā€¦ What a stupid claim to begin withā€¦šŸ™„
Oh, youā€™re old, congratulations. And I used to own a 2018 Mustang GT. So Iā€™m certainly not blind. I can see the graphical differences, and can see the similarities. Those who deny thereā€™s similarities between the cars donā€™t have a keen eye.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
There are similarities between those two cars. Not denying that. However, the S650 doesn't look like a Camaro or an Aston Martin... From time to time some design choices may coincidence as there is only a limited amount of styles than can be used on a 2+2 coupe with a big engine under the hood... They took the S550 and ordered their designers to come up with an evolutionary design that is easy to implement (less retooling, less worker training, many carry over parts) and yet sporty looking. Refreshing a car means one has fewer design options as one is limited to the old structure. Iā€™m sure a truly new Mustang that wouldā€™ve been created from the ground up wouldā€™ve look much different.

Zcarmenb28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are similarities between those two cars. Not denying that. However, the S650 doesn't look like a Camaro or an Aston Martin... From time to time some design choices may coincidence as there is only a limited amount of styles than can be used on a 2+2 coupe with a big engine under the hood... They took the S550 and ordered their designers to come up with an evolutionary design that is easy to implement (less retooling, less worker training, many carry over parts) and yet sporty looking. Refreshing a car means one has fewer design options as one is limited to the old structure. Iā€™m sure a truly new Mustang that wouldā€™ve been created from the ground up wouldā€™ve look much different.
Yes, I agree with you, except I do think the S650 resembles the Camaro more than the S550 does. And my argument wasnā€™t with you; more so the folks that claim the two look nothing alike, of which there were a few in this thread.

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
True, but they don't price 'em like they used to because they don't make 'em like they used to. Modern cars are very well engineered, so the price reflects that.
That wasn't the point of my post.

seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT
Reading this post was 5 minutes of life Iā€™ll never get backā€¦.of course theyā€™re gonna look similar theyā€™re direct competitors and are 2 door V8 pony cars. Arguing about it here is such a waste of energy
I joined 6g back in Jan 2022 and 7g sometime this year and you are complaining of 5 minutes of your life you will never get back? Buddy let me tell you after these cars are delivered and the post volume increases, you will be saying.."well that was 50 hours of my life I wont get back." Its like a train wreck.

OP
OP
lcbrownz

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
I joined 6g back in Jan 2022 and 7g sometime this year and you are complaining of 5 minutes of your life you will never get back? Buddy let me tell you after these cars are delivered and the post volume increases, you will be saying.."well that was 50 hours of my life I wont get back." Its like a train wreck.
We will see if the Mustang customer ICE market bounces back to pre-covid levels.
Sponsored