• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2022MY Launch

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
On the sister forum, I provided this info for S550:

• 2021MY Ordering Close - 2021/10/1
  • 2021MY EOP - 2021/12/23
  • 2022MY Ordering Opens- 2021/10/11
  • 2022MY SOP. - 2022/01/03
  • 2022MY Showroom Arrival- February

Usually they try to space out Model Year changeover by 12ish months, but for some reason virtually everyone is pushing for December SOP dates to 2022 models.

This affects cadence of the S650 and likely when it will appear in spy shots. Over three and half ago years in 2017, Ford completed the final design brief on a redesign.

That vehicle was not seen photographed or recorded in testing until 18 months later. Could be the same story with S650.

Might be an early 2023 launch at this point, possibly still more than 1 year away from reveal. Likely just mules until VP testers appear in late 2021.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Thanks AMK.......great information as usual. Not great news for S650, but with Covid and chip problems, I guess that '23MY for S650 introduction was always at risk :(

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
Thank you for the update. It's kind of crazy that model years now going to be calendar years. It explains why it's pretty silent about MY2022 changes on the Mustang.

If production won't start until January '23 I guess an officiall reveal might happen mid-2022. So it's still a long road ahead.

With Ford Europe official statement only selling Hybrids from 2026 it becomes an absolute safe bet that the S650 will offer an hybrid option when EU models of S650 arrive not before mid/late 2023.

Over three and half ago years in 2017, Ford completed the final design brief on a redesign.

That vehicle was not seen photographed or recorded in testing until 18 months later. Could be the same story with S650.
I am not quite understanding what you mean here. Does this reference to the MY18 refresh? This was already revealed in January 2017. Or do you mean the S650 design was finished in 2017, but I don't think we alreadys saw a mule until this year.

OP
OP
amk91

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Thanks AMK.......great information as usual. Not great news for S650, but with Covid and chip problems, I guess that '23MY for S650 introduction was always at risk :(
Of course. Iā€™m driving myself crazy trying to figure out whatā€™s going on. There is a recurring pattern with Covid model launches of Fordā€™s biggest nameplates.

Two of them so far have tallied up at three years from final appearance approval to showroom. looks like Ford was trying to shorten that and failed due to Covid?

Sigma6 stated certain things last year, that gave some insight, but vaguely answered my questions I had replied to him with. Those plans changed, but I M certain the set timelines moved in parallel with them.

He said to expect test mules in 2021 and , but figured he got the wording wrong for actual testers. Or did he mean actual mules?

Thank you for the update. It's kind of crazy that model years now going to be calendar years. It explains why it's pretty silent about MY2022 changes on the Mustang.

If production won't start until January '23 I guess an officiall reveal might happen mid-2022. So it's still a long road ahead.

With Ford Europe official statement only selling Hybrids from 2026 it becomes an absolute safe bet that the S650 will offer an hybrid option when EU models of S650 arrive not before mid/late 2023.

I am not quite understanding what you mean here. Does this reference to the MY18 refresh? This was already revealed in January 2017. Or do you mean the S650 design was finished in 2017, but I don't think we alreadys saw a mule until this year.
Certainly, I felt we all needed an idea of the timeline going forward.

Itā€™s too bad it threw a wrench into their plan, but I like this setup anyway. Now it means a 2022 is a car also produced in 2022 and not cheating by a few months.

Automakers all use model years, but primarily the American public follows them religiously. Itā€™s weird to see certain cars released in late 2020 called 2020 models in Europe or Asia, when the whole year is basically over.

In Europe, sometimes they get very nitpicky and claim ā€œI donā€™t understand how you can already buy next yearā€˜s model in America, thatā€™s so stupidā€

In terms of the other part, I was actually referring to another new Ford vehicle, where Ford pretended they did it in a quick minute and got it to market in record time. Not really S650.

Both that #1 cash cow ;) and the new Bronco, ironically both took as long as I predicted to develop. Delays however factor into that too.

36 to 37 months from final okays in November 2017 and July 2018 (Bronco) respectively to volume market release in December 2020 and August 2021 (Bronco). 35 months to Job 1, for that big cash cow which started October 12, 2020 and June 14, 2021 for Bronco.

Both designs were set 18 months before we saw the first actual prototype test units in camo on camera, May 2019 for the ā€œtopā€ Ford and then January 2020 for Bronco.

For S650, it should be early 2020 for that design stage, so hopefully mid 2021, I hope is when Ford rolls out S650 testers? I admit I am confused, so I am drawing correlations between different Ford programs, even though being misled is throwing me off track a bit.

Some Blue Oval Forum guys like to always think they know what they are talking about, but can be no better than GM lifers when it comes to extreme bias and losing sight of Ford operations.

The real insiders there are more consistent and cordial than the other arrogant hotheads and mods (non-insiders) who always got something to say or gripe at, with no real substance on Blue O. An insider named Assimilator was driven away by them.

I feel misled by some of them, including one of them who works in a plant, but seems too full of it at times. I ironically seem to have a better lock on some stuff, that I doubted due to misinformation from such people.

jpd80 and PremierDrum over there are excellent class acts and uber informative, while some others I will not name, just spew hot air and make it harder to understand some things Ford and talk a lot of BS.

Using that 36-37 months measure, I see an S650 launch in January-March 2023, since Ford might have finished the design in early 2020.

Back in February 2020, an informed member Sigma6, gave his expected timeline pre-Covid of ā€œfinal preparations are set for the summerā€ and ā€œyouā€™ll see the first mule out toward 2021ā€.

At the time production was to begin in May 2022, for summer launch. Now its 4-8 months behind, so maybe thatā€™s how to determine when we can expect them at best or worse.

2021 Bronco was ultimately delayed another 6 months from Jan/Feb to July/Aug and 2021 F-150 about 4 months (I recall insider docs saying May or June 2020 Job 1), being released in December 2020. So 4-6 months could be how far behind it is.

Does it affect European launch? Yes it does, so your timetable seems accurate.
Sponsored

Last edited: