• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Side note: I figured out how to split quotes so people can stop getting mad at me for using red text :doh::lol:
Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
I agree that it was probably Hackett's decision, I just meant that as in "the mustang's future is EXTREMELY unpredictable with him in charge".
Yeah... I try to not think about that.

I agree that a smaller (maybe a bit bigger than supra-sized, more along the lines of an M4, but a touch smaller) mustang with a 480hp 5.0 would be incredible. However, there are a couple of issues with that;
1. we would either have to sacrifice interior space, i.e. usable back seats, or have to give up the classic long nose design of the car
2. there would be no real segment for that car to compete in

I think we were looking more along the lines of "ditch the V8, boost the output of the EB power plant to match the supra's 335ish hp, and offer a higher output hybrid option". That would also explain why Farruko's brother was so disappointed.
“All new” Mustang by 2022MY. Same platform but different TopHat (since the “Completely New/New CD6 Platform Mustang” was cancelled). It will be a S550 based S650 under the D5 platform.

My brother is super disappointed because of this but I don’t know why, since the new plans of a heavily revised Mustang (instead of a clean sheet) are much better in my opinion.

I understood the other way around, that his brother was disappointed because he WANTED the "Smaller Mustang" or something like that but I might be wrong.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Weight reduction while keeping safety legal standards and traction cost money. It's a 30 thousand dollar muscle car, not a 100 thousand dollar porch. Even at 3600-3800lbs, the rear wheels lift from the ground.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
I understood the other way around, that his brother was disappointed because he WANTED the "Smaller Mustang" or something like that but I might be wrong.
Ahh, nope, I think I interpreted that one wrong... maybe we were looking at a smaller V8 powered coupe? That would have been pretty cool

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
2018 Euro Focus gets HUD panel option.... Could have been nice as an option for this refresh.

S650 Mustang 2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed 2018-ford-focus

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
2018 Euro Focus gets HUD panel option.... Could have been nice as an option for this refresh.

S650 Mustang 2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed 2018-ford-focus
This is looking horrible. Who wants such a distracting piece in front of yourself? If you make a HUD it should be projected onto the window like in Chevys cars.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
This is looking horrible. Who wants such a distracting piece in front of yourself? If you make a HUD it should be projected onto the window like in Chevys cars.
That depends. Unless you're 4' tall, you are not going to be looking out at that HUD, but rather down. The sight-line is likely going to fall similarly to where a windshield HUD would. It most certainly needs to lose the edge line though.

And while projecting on the windshield seems like a better route, the costs associated with replacing a HUD windshield are quite expensive. I can certainly understand if some OEMs go a different route.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Those panel HUDs are what fighter pilots use... would fit more with the "Mustang" theme anyways

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
S650 isn't getting smaller, it will keep similar portions.

You won't see any prototypes q4 this year, it's way to early, Ford doesn't even know what it looks like yet.

It won't look like s550, and it will be discernible at a distance from s550 to ensure everyone knows it's new.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
thedetroitbureau.com said:
Even while pushing the limits with its classic 5.0-liter V-8 powertrain, Mustang will shift into a new direction with the debut of its first-ever hybrid model due out sometime during the 2019 calendar year.
Nope, I'm pretty sure they won't offer the Mustang Hybrid during the 6th Gen and since it looks like the S650 will arrive as a 2022MY, we won't see the Hybrid until 2021 Calendar year.

thedetroitbureau.com said:
...That’s the sort of formula Ford will have to keep in mind as it begins working on the next-generation Mustang due to market early in the coming decade. Ford will be weighing a variety of options going forward, including all-wheel-drive and even the possibility of an all-electric Mustang.
Really? I don't see this happening until the 8th Gen or after....

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford

You won't see any prototypes q4 this year, it's way to early, Ford doesn't even know what it looks like yet.

It won't look like s550, and it will be discernible at a distance from s550 to ensure everyone knows it's new.
I don't think anybody was truly expecting the next mustang to go considerably smaller like some have speculated about. Although I do see them shaving off 2 maybe 3 inches off the length to make it tighter looking like many have been clamoring for including myself. Lets be honest--the current car is a bit too long!

I assure you that by now ford definitely knows how the car will look like. Ask any automotive designer and they will tell you that the design is typically finished in the first 18 months during the development process. Of course their could be some last minute detail changes but even then those are small mickey mouse changes that won't delay the launch of the car.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Good article.......shame they take a swipe at the poor old Mustang II. They should have clarified (in my opinion) it was the lack of a V8 in the first II that hit enthusiasts hardest. In terms of sales, the II was a home run.

It'll be on the drawing board by now though......and possibly at the clay stage I'd have hoped. The S550 design started pretty much as the '10MY hit the streets.

Nope, I'm pretty sure they won't offer the Mustang Hybrid during the 6th Gen and since it looks like the S650 will arrive as a 2022MY, we won't see the Hybrid until 2021 Calendar year.
I know Ford quoted there would be a hybrid Mustang for 2020. Our assumption was that would be the '21MY and the all new model, but rumours indicate the next-gen car will be a '22MY. My thoughts are the hybrid would be pushed back, so to hear it'll be here potentially next year, is a big surprise, and you'd have so assume it's S550 based.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I don't think anybody was truly expecting the next mustang to go considerably smaller like some have speculated about. Although I do see them shaving off 2 maybe 3 inches off the length to make it tighter looking like many have been clamoring for including myself. Lets be honest--the current car is a bit too long!

I assure you that by now ford definitely knows how the car will look like. Ask any automotive designer and they will tell you that the design is typically finished in the first 18 months during the development process. Of course their could be some last minute detail changes but even then those are small mickey mouse changes that won't delay the launch of the car.
I can assure you they dont. I would put every dime I have on that bet. They are getting close though.

The Bronco isn't even finalized and it has been teased.

There is a theme, and a series of designs from a few designers and their interpretation of that. I would estimate 4-7 months the whole team will be working behind a single design, and engineering and manufacturing will start really working through seeing how feasible it is.
Sponsored