• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Confirmed:
D6R is the new platform for the S650 program
It will come 10 months later than previously reported.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
So, now it's March 2021........as a '22MY one assumes?

:)

I'm guessing Ford can still debut the Mustang Hybrid in CY2020 as they promised by showing the MY2022 car at the LA Auto Show around November before the production starts in March.

A March SOP would get the cars to dealers by May/June with an order guide in Dec 2020 and Scheduling Beginning in January 2021

Last edited:

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS, 22 2ss1le
What i also want to know is that if Ford is going to benchmark their S650 GTPP against the current GT350R? Similar to what they did with the Boss302.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
What i also want to know is that if Ford is going to benchmark their S650 GTPP against the current GT350R? Similar to what they did with the Boss302.
Not the R, probably the regular GT350.

The GTPP was benched off the B302, not the B302LS

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
This is correct.

D6R will be a new global platform to be used/modified to underpin the S650 and next-gen Explorer, Lincoln MKZ, etc. 12/2020 is the currently scheduled SOP target I am aware of, which was established last year. To my knowledge it was not pushed back. Of course, it is still very early and many things can change.
The new D6R modular platform with it's RWD, FWD and AWD capabilty and platform sharing applications for a wide variety of Ford and Lincoln vehicles has me very intrigued.
No doubt, it will composed primarily of high-strength aluminum components for weight reduction and will be highly configurable to satisfy the needs of Ford's global markets/consumer demands. Sounds like a winner.

For the upcoming S650 application, my wish is for a return to the basic overall dimensions of the first generation Mustang and of course, the retention of the hallmark long hood and short rear deck design language.
Hopefully, the S650 will be much shorter and more compact than the S550 and with the increased use of more aluminum body panels, will weigh in base form around 3400-3500 lbs.

Considering Ford's massive investment in / commitment to and success with EcoBoost technology, I suspect that all traditional I4, V6 and V8 engines available will be EcoBoost engines and that in a nod to tradition, the S650 generation's halo Mustang will powered by a 4.7L (289 cid) EcoBoost V8.

And then there is the hybrid, the true Mustang of the future...coming soon:ford:

Last edited:

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Sounds like the hope of a smaller Mustang isn't happening if its sharing a platform with the exploder. Maybe they can still cut decent weight though if its aluminum.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Sounds like the hope of a smaller Mustang isn't happening if its sharing a platform with the exploder. Maybe they can still cut decent weight though if its aluminum.
It depends on how it is executed. Your big concentration of manufacturing and development cost is from the front rails to the Hinge/A Pillar, front and rear suspension. The stuff that crashes, holds powertrains, ect.

The floor can be stretch to accommodate wheel bases relatively easily. Think of it like a truck chassis. Front Frame Module, Mid Module, Rear Module.

The cab or top hat will be all mustang, add some longer crush cans to the bumper to help get that longer front end.

This is the strength of the Alpha chassis. Multiple vehicles on a platform makes spending time and money to build a lightweight chassis worth it.

A platform with a single vehicle and maybe 150K units a year. Never makes a great business case unless it's a Mustang. The brand is widely successful, and its been doing well in motorsports, so when the time comes for the Mustang to make certain request for unique considerations from D6 for D6R they may very well get them. Which will help improve on what currently exists.

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
I dont think getting the leader of Ford Europes Design is a good thing. Just take a look at the new Fiesta, it's ugly as hell :doh:
At least the design for the 7th Gen should already be set, so this shouldn't affect it

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Thank you for supporting that Jarstang, I wouldn't really make up information of that nature. The S650 SOP was once May 2020, so the tentative 12/2020 SOP period highlights a slight delay.

Similarly the S550 II or 1/2, was pushed back to mid-late Q4 2017 launch, 10/2 SOP from June 2017 SOP stated in late 2016/Q1 2017.

Styling work will likely be done in a few months, probably now down to 2-3 final proposals. The first mules might be seen next summer, with actual prototype builds spotted in 2019.

Don't forget the overbudget MN12, which cost some personnel their jobs back in early 1989, just weeks after launch on December 26, 1988 for the 1989 Thunderbird/Cougar.

Before the Fox-4 SN-95, there were plans for an MN12-based Mustang circa 1989. It was thrown out by the end of 1990 as an option, just like DEW98 circa 2001-02 for D2C.

I would also like to hear from someone who knows more than we would regarding Ford platform engineering through the past 45 years.

A new large Lincoln sedan is in development on D6 under CD714 for July 2020 SOP. Haven't heard much about it though. Let's hope nothing changes too much regarding any high points of D6.
More good info, thanks.

/When you first said D6R I felt it was something you couldn't make up.

Reading some of the articles posted regarding hybrid Mustangs it appears my wish for a V8+electric combo isn't happening. The base model could end up being a 1.5-liter Ecoboost + electric motor/s.

If the V8 is to remain one would think hanging an electric motor off it would ensure decent economy figures to help lower the CAFE average, and the performance would be electric, so to speak.

Looking forward to more information. This platform opens up many performance opportunities currently lacking in the Ford range: big hp AWD/RWD sedans, and there's no reason why there couldn't be an AWD Mustang butting heads with Nissan's GTR.

Ultimately with that much torque available from turbos and electric motors I think it's inevitable that we'll get an AWD Mustang.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
I am very interested in this body style because this will be about the time I will be thinking of getting a new Mustang or something else. Not that I don't love my Mustang but also my G6 is getting on in years and I don't think it will be running as good by that time even though it has 60k miles. It is GM after all.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
S650 Discussion Thread

Oh boy here we go again. :(
This thread is going to break the website. Heck we're still in 2017 and we're
talking about the S650 (2021) when we still don't even have the facts on the new
2018 Coyote engine HP / TQ. :mad:

Last edited:

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Oh boy here we go again. :(
This thread is going to break the website. Heck we're still in 2017 and we're
talking about the S650 (2021) when we still don't even have the facts on the new
2018 Coyote engine HP / TQ. :mad:
This thread has been around for over a year. Website still not broken. Thanks for the contribution though! :)