• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

19" or 20" Wheels?

Grat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1986 Mustang GT
I'm looking for some opinions on whether to get 19" wheels or 20" Wheels. I think the 20s look better on these cars over 19s. However, I don't want to get 20s if there is a sacrifice in performance or ride quality or added road noise. I would imagine given the same wheel that 19s would be a bit lighter for less rotational mass. Does anyone have any experience in going to 20s and noticing any cons of that choice? My ideal tire setup would be a 10" wide wheel with 275 in the front and 11" wide wheel 305-315 in the rear. I'm sure people will ask how I use my car. Its not a daily just a weekend fun car I plan on going on short road trips and hitting the 1/8 mile every once in a while and maybe the occasional autocross(maybe). Currently, the car is stock and this will probably be the first mod. Car is a 24 GT premium 6 speed. Dark matter Grey.
Sponsored

Project6GR Wheels

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
I'm looking for some opinions on whether to get 19" wheels or 20" Wheels. I think the 20s look better on these cars over 19s. However, I don't want to get 20s if there is a sacrifice in performance or ride quality or added road noise. I would imagine given the same wheel that 19s would be a bit lighter for less rotational mass. Does anyone have any experience in going to 20s and noticing any cons of that choice? My ideal tire setup would be a 10" wide wheel with 275 in the front and 11" wide wheel 305-315 in the rear. I'm sure people will ask how I use my car. Its not a daily just a weekend fun car I plan on going on short road trips and hitting the 1/8 mile every once in a while and maybe the occasional autocross(maybe). Currently, the car is stock and this will probably be the first mod. Car is a 24 GT premium 6 speed. Dark matter Grey.
We would recommend going with 20'' sounds like you are going more for looks than performance. 20'' look great and can still be used to have some fun on the weekend !

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Looks, 20 inch. I wouldn't run them because you're more likely to cut a tire if you encounter a pot hole or road trash. I have damaged a couple of them with 245/45ZR17. I was able to improve on the problem by running an additional 5 pounds of tire pressure but the ride is a bit rougher.

Sofa King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost, Vapor Blue, HPP
I would also ask what kind of tires... all season or summer only? The choice for all season tires in wide widths is much better in 20" vs 19". That is why I went with 20s... summer only tires suck most of the year around here.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
I’m a 19” tire guy. 20s look great but i like some sidewall especially the way i drive. 19x10 square setup is what i ran on my 16 GT PP and I’ll go that route again when the time comes

OP
OP

Grat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would also ask what kind of tires... all season or summer only? The choice for all season tires in wide widths is much better in 20" vs 19". That is why I went with 20s... summer only tires suck most of the year around here.
I am probably going to go with the Michelin pilot sport 4S

OP
OP

Grat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We would recommend going with 20'' sounds like you are going more for looks than performance. 20'' look great and can still be used to have some fun on the weekend !
I would say performance first looks second. But if the performance is marginal between the two would maybe lean towards the 20s.

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I would say performance first looks second. But if the performance is marginal between the two would maybe lean towards the 20s.
If your performance needs are to be chasing down the extra .05 sec on the strip or .10 sec on the autocross, 19". If you want to go fast and have fun with looks, 20"

20" will ride a bit harsher than the 19" , but nothing crazy. Just avoid potholes on the road the best you can.
Sponsored