• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
So now that some hours have passed, what I see on SM and other pages, including Camaro, C8 and Supra pages is over general approval. It seem the most critical/hate is come from the Mustang side of things. Is it because we are more attached to our cars that are now the previous generation? Attached to the history? Have more invested into our cars? I love the new look and excited to see it in person. Usually I don’t care for the look of a car in photos and videos and ipthen in person when you finally can take it all in I love it. Like my previous 18 GT. I thought they missed the mark when released, seen it in person next to the 17 and thought it way more aggressive and loved it.
I’ll be very interested in the sales numbers.
Sponsored

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
So now that some hours have passed, what I see on SM and other pages, including Camaro, C8 and Supra pages is over general approval. It seem the most critical/hate is come from the Mustang side of things. Is it because we are more attached to our cars that are now the previous generation? Attached to the history? Have more invested into our cars? I love the new look and excited to see it in person. Usually I don’t care for the look of a car in photos and videos and ipthen in person when you finally can take it all in I love it. Like my previous 18 GT. I thought they missed the mark when released, seen it in person next to the 17 and thought it way more aggressive and loved it.
I think you are on to something. I do not have an S550 and I am very excited about this car. Touch screen seems to be very good. Super quick to respond to touch and HVAC controls are always on the bottom of the screen.

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No for me it's disappointment. I would have loved for them reveal something that I'd place an order for immediately but it's just not enough. I really don't like that large screen in the interior. The rest of the interior is nice. The front is like a worse version of a gt350 and Gen 1 s550. The rear taillights look worse than a current Gen 3 and the headlights really missed the mark.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I guess it's an F-Type for me.
:(
Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 4.55.41 PM.png
F-Types are very cool cars. My mom bought one from carvana and I broke it the first day she had it haha. Engine didn’t like being ripped on so hard, I’m sure the previous owner didn’t push the car at all. I drove the V6 and that thing moves out!

Unfortunately my mom returned the car and got a q60 :(

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i '09
Don't know about others but for me the interior loses me completely. It doesn't feel like I am sitting in a Mustang. Feels like I could be in a Ford Focus for all I care. It's not even as refined as a Tesla or a Mach E that it feels organic. It just feels a bunch of shit stacked together without it forming any cohesion.

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
I come from an industrial design training and background. We often always discuss car design, it's part of the business. Car design spawns from Industrial design itself.

There's a certain element of subjectivity, but this type of discussion boils down to the following - overall, there are one of 3 ways people look at cars when it comes to resemblance:
1. Down to the literal design or component detail
2. The higher level overall form and what it suggests
3. A mixture of 1 and 2

In the pic I used where it shows the Camaro, (or any other pic of that gen) no detail is "the same". And yes, the cars are totally different, down to the detail level, if you want to get to every angle, crease, element.

However, zoom out of that thinking and if you look at the rear haunch, for example, on that Camaro, the upkick of the haunch crease, how that interacts with the 3/4 upckick window; now, on the new S650, its own haunch design, and new 3/4 window upkick, which is a departure in execution from S550, the general feeling of the form in this area of real estate, it's similar. They are not the same. They are similar, as a general form. In design, we like to say "squint your eyes and step back a few" as way to describe looking at form, and not the detail of design. I could use other examples from my post you replied to, but this post is already too long. You can use this principle in other areas, and other views.

Forget my take on it - there are plenty others who see Camaro resemblance (again, resemblance is NOT the same as identical) on this thread alone. Some folks, aren't able to zoom out visually and sort of see things at the level I've described, it's an ability, not right, not wrong, just some don't have it. Again, there's also an element of subjectivity.
This is a brilliant analysis. Thank you!
In that light, yes, there is a marked convergence in design thinking between this iteration of the Mustang and the current Camaro. I see the upkick at the rear quarter-window being similar in vein. And subjectively speaking, the Mustang seems to have converged to a more harmonious solution of that design language, once you "take a step forward," especially as the eye follows that haunch to the tip of the trunkline.

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
Thud. This is (barely) more evolution than revolution. The reaction of the crowd was as muted as the refresh. The interior is more of a jump than anything on the outside. The rtail lights must have been ripped from the Muck E. The Dark Horse engine should have been in the current Mach 1, while its new logo looks to have been ripped from the Ram truck line. The tri-bar needs to be back, while the new drag car should have been a Cobra Jet. If this is truly the swan song of the Mustang as we know it, it is a poorly done cover and certainly off key.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
🤣🤣🤣 The people trying to compare it to the Camaro are taking the crack. 🤣🤣🤣

It’s got a round hood and the same paint so it looks like the last Gen Camaro??? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh god! 🤣 I am laughing so hard I gotta type this through the tears I laughed into the screen! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

❤🥰❤ By the time the 2024 Mustang is available the Camaro will no longer be in production. 🤢🤮

thePill has never seen a vehicle look even close to this other than it strongly resembles Mustang’s from 2005, 2010, 2013 and 2015.
No resemblance?
S650 Mustang ⚠️ LEAKED S650 Mustang Images & Rumored Specs!! [New Shots & Engine Image Added] 1663242350388

S650 Mustang ⚠️ LEAKED S650 Mustang Images & Rumored Specs!! [New Shots & Engine Image Added] 1663242474585

S650 Mustang ⚠️ LEAKED S650 Mustang Images & Rumored Specs!! [New Shots & Engine Image Added] 1663242533518

S650 Mustang ⚠️ LEAKED S650 Mustang Images & Rumored Specs!! [New Shots & Engine Image Added] 1663243016746

The Ford Designers must have had consulting sessions with GM and Dodge, because there's NO originality in the new S650 that has now been fattened up and stripped of styling cues - they need a new badge now, the Moostang....

You tell me how drivers are going to keep their eyes on the road when they're going to be finagling with damn displays that are saturated in choices ....

Not to mention there's been so many complaints with Ford's displays and software issues across many of their product line - that as the interior becomes more "automated", reliant on electronics, and tied into multiple modules, the more susceptible it is to glitches and possible failures. Not to mention, folks who don't have the "DIY" capabilities will now HAVE to take said vehicle into a Service Center for such electrics software/hardware repairs.

No more analog gauges? I'm waiting for the first complaints of those who experience total dash and display blackouts...

----

And as much as I enjoyed the Fox 5.0 Mustangs - why would anyone want to have a "new" dash cluster that can mimic something of 20+ years ago? Does that mean we also want a Model T dash option as well? Hell if we're going this far, let's put the gas tank back into the front cowl....

https://www.thedrive.com/news/2024-ford-mustang-digital-gauges-can-mimic-80s-fox-body-cluster

Listen as much as there is to accepting design changes - that's not an issue. But to make an interior like that where's it's literally all clunky, not well thought out and looks like you're in a Bronco or F-Series - is just beyond words.... it's an iconic sports car - not a truck and should retain a sportier, sports car/muscle car interior where the displays are integrated INTO the dash, NOT stuck to it or on top of it as an after thought.

Removing the side styling cues - also a poor decision - it's just plain looking and loses the classic and iconic Mustang "C"... Sure, the Fox Bodies lost it - but guess what crew, this isn't the 80's-90's anymore.... the reason the "C" was brought back in 94 is because it was a styling cue that was lost from 79-93... and it followed forward into the S550. Now you have some designer who thought it would be cool to them to remove body styling cues that are important to the heritage of the Mustang.

"Dark Horse" - cool, but dumb naming convention when there were so many more (and better choices). What are we, 9 again, watching superheroes on Saturday morning while munching on Trix (or some other bowl of starch and sugar)?

I think Ford will see a swing in lower sales figures due to the lack of keeping with the Mustang Heritage, diminished styling cues and a poorly laid out dash assembly.

Sure, people are going to buy it - but reading across MANY forums - and not just all Mustang forums, the general consensus is very similar after the reveal that the S650 just isn't a "wow, I want that" type of vibe.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
This is a brilliant analysis. Thank you!
In that light, yes, there is a marked convergence in design thinking between this iteration of the Mustang and the current Camaro. I see the upkick at the rear quarter-window being similar in vein. And subjectively speaking, the Mustang seems to have converged to a more harmonious solution of that design language, once you "take a step forward," especially as the eye follows that haunch to the tip of the trunkline.
Yes, most people I've been noticing in other forums, car site comments, etc., are all noticing some Camaro resemblance here or there, whether Ford intended it or not - I'm sure we'd all love to know if the design team actually wanted to make S650 look like the outgoing Camaro intentionally!

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Coupe
For me the 7th gen is doing exactly what it intends to do; build a bridge to full EV. Personally, I think if this was a full EV Mustang I would like it more. The interior is atrocious in a V8 that has a lineage back to the 60's, but would look fantastic in an EV. The rear end and front end would look great on a Full EV as well. This car is nothing more than a "fill" and "test bed" until the full EV is released.

I hope they sell well as Mustangs should always be part of Ford.

I've owned every generation, but this one, I'm gonna pass on.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
We have officially jumped the shark. NO, Ford would not intentionally design the Mustsng to resemble the Camaro. I've read more than a few post stating that. Remember, the Camaro was Chevy's response to the Mustang way back in the 60's. Ford went "retro" in 2005 and Chevy followed in 2009. So any resemblance between the 2 is ultimately the result of that IMO.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP, 2003 Cobra Yote Swapped, Braptor!
So how did we do on the rumored specs? I know a lot of people were questioning them. :)