• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

“Next Gen” Mustang Will be Electric (EV) Only Claims Autoline

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
That I don't know. I know it will let you bounce off the limiter like a jackanape, but I'm not sure if it'll allow a stall.
They drive like a normal torque converter. In manual mode they will hold a gear and not change up. they never stall as they disconnect the clutch at low speed. To the average driver they behave the same as a torque converter. Kickdown works the same way too.
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
They drive like a normal torque converter. In manual mode they will hold a gear and not change up. they never stall as they disconnect the clutch at low speed. To the average driver they behave the same as a torque converter. Kickdown works the same way too.
Dang, that's my least favorite part about any automatic transmission too. When they nail the downshift so it feel like it reads my mind, I'll convert. I know it's still faster than rowing a gear but it doesn't feel like it. Maybe I need the mindset of premeditating with paddles... I also love me some fancy clutch work though because it's super fun!

Ruby_Ruby19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GY
You do need to specify the US in that, because as posted before Ford Europe will be 100% EV by 2030.
Even at that, I don't see becoming a reality unless major efforts are underway to improve battery technology (fast charging) and infrastructure for fast charging stations.

If it does happen I see a major issue with the abilities to keep cars moving. Right now the major advantage ICE have is when my gas is low, I can get 300 miles of range in 5 minutes at a gas pump. Fast charging helps but people will forget to plug in at night, and when they pull up to a charging station it will FLOODED with others thay forgot to charge.

Reactions: DRB

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm approaching 59 and expect that I will drive the current car for the next 20 years, as a fair weather car in retirement. Our 2015 Rogue will perhaps get replaced at some point, maybe 10 years, and it may very well be replaced by a full on EV. Beyond the 20 year horizon, I don't know, and am not really worried about it at this point.

For the younger crowd, yes, this will eventually be an issue. Although I think there will be a lot of swallowing of pride going on. Are you going to deny yourself the pleasure of owning a Mustang, in whatever form that may take? Your option will be to drive whatever else is in the market, a sedan or SUV, which in all likelihood will be electric.
I'm a little younger than you, but currently I want my next "new" car to be a 2017 or so GT350. And I want to buy in 3-6 years.

There's no need to deny yourself the pleasure of owning a Mustang. Just buy whatever year and model you prefer. That's why I currently own a 2017 that I bought last year. It was the year and model that was available and I decided I prefer to buy right now.

Unfortunately we seem to have become violently opposed to any “changes” in this country whether it be technological advances or simply social changes... There has been a narrative spun in this country that these changes are destroying the “American way of life”. This of course creates some pretty strong resentment and cements opinions opposing changes. We take whatever issues we can find about that change and blow them up into some impossible challenge that we can’t possibly overcome to justify the narrative... At some point this has got to stop......

Right????........
Most people have no problem with changes, but about 50% of America are sick of black booted thugs. I don't care one way or the other about EVs, but don't take my money to fund the company making them or the people purchasing them. And especially don't stick a gun in my face and force me to buy one. Let the market demand work. If people buy them, great. It's because they prefer the EV. If people don't buy them, fine. It's because the EVs aren't competitive with ICE vehicles.

There's nothing morally or intellectually superior about forcing someone else to do what you want them to. In fact, it's a terrible thing to do.

Some people can adapt to change faster than others. The issue today is the speed of which technology is allowing changes to happen. The faster change happens the more that those reluctant to it suffer.

By the way I am on a fixed income. But I've properly prepared for it. I am no more adverse to change than I was before I retired. That said I recognize that all change is not for the better. That's the change I take a pass on.
Right. I love change too. For example, I have no longing to run bias ply tires or tires from the past on my car. Tire technology has improved a lot and I love it. I have a fast internet connection and I stream more things than I watch actual television. Some modern ICEs are really great as well. I loved my Voodoo engine. Best engine I ever owned. I don't plan to restore my '70 to original condition and I want to swap to a more modern powerplant in my 944.

But batteries are not good enough right now. And they may never be. R&D doesn't guarantee improvements. There's no good reason to REQUIRE people to buy electric cars. It's a money and power grab, pure and simple.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That's two strikes . . . (US baseball reference).

Norm

ddeluce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT California Special with Power Pack 1
Agreed, but in some states the regulations are just plain stupid. In NY, your solar is attached to the grid sure. But if power goes out, your power goes out as well. Because they make you tie it to the grid. Net metering only works in favor of the power company. Off-grid installs are the way to go.
Grid tied systems have to go down when grid goes down to avoid back feeding power into the grid and potentially shocking any one working on the lines. If you add storage batteries and a transfer switch, your power will stay up when the grid goes down.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grid tied systems have to go down when grid goes down to avoid back feeding power into the grid and potentially shocking any one working on the lines. If you add storage batteries and a transfer switch, your power will stay up when the grid goes down.
Yes, but there's no reason an automated junction can't decouple power from house-to-grid in the event of an outage.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even at that, I don't see becoming a reality unless major efforts are underway to improve battery technology (fast charging) and infrastructure for fast charging stations.

If it does happen I see a major issue with the abilities to keep cars moving. Right now the major advantage ICE have is when my gas is low, I can get 300 miles of range in 5 minutes at a gas pump. Fast charging helps but people will forget to plug in at night, and when they pull up to a charging station it will FLOODED with others thay forgot to charge.
As I say - check out Norway where it is a reality already. Not proposed or possible, but in action already.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's two strikes . . . (US baseball reference).

Norm
I did say for the average driver (in fact probably the vast majority) where a car is an appliance that goes from A to B, and as long as they arrive at B dry and warm / or cool then it has been a success.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
What I'm seeing of the Mach-E looks pretty impressive, for that kind of a vehicle. I wish Ford well in the effort.
This ^^^

Even though it's not my kind of vehicle (for at least two reasons that have nothing to do with electric propulsion), it probably is the right vehicle for others.

Norm

NoVaGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You do need to specify the US in that, because as posted before Ford Europe will be 100% EV by 2030.
No they won't. Never gonna happen.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I did say for the average driver (in fact probably the vast majority) where a car is an appliance that goes from A to B, and as long as they arrive at B dry and warm / or cool then it has been a success.
IOW, your basic Mach E customers.

Any "transportation appliance" or "mobility device" would be the antithesis of what the [real] Mustang has stood for ever since its introduction. It represented a measure of defiance against the cars of its time in 1964, so perhaps it should retain that sort of defiance against today's creeping mindset where "all cars need to be EVs".

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
There's nothing morally or intellectually superior about forcing someone else to do what you want them to. In fact, it's a terrible thing to do.
:thumbsup:

Right. I love change too. For example, I have no longing to run bias ply tires or tires from the past on my car. Tire technology has improved a lot and I love it. I have a fast internet connection and I stream more things than I watch actual television. Some modern ICEs are really great as well. I loved my Voodoo engine. Best engine I ever owned. I don't plan to restore my '70 to original condition and I want to swap to a more modern powerplant in my 944.
This ^^^

Each individual should be considering each change separately and on its own merits as those merits relate to that individual.

Not blindly jumping at each change solely because it's "new".

Norm
Sponsored