• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

“Next Gen” Mustang Will be Electric (EV) Only Claims Autoline

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Dead serious, what if someone made an EV with a proper manual transmission? Instead of direct drive to the wheels, hook the motor to a flywheel like an ICE drivetrain. Back in college I actually started designing an electric piston motor that was driven by coilguns. The idea was to have an electric that revved and felt like an ICE. I had the budget of a college student, so I wasn't able to get it working in anything beyond a demo capacity though. Unlimited time and money, I could probably build an electric "motor" that produced Coyote levels of power, while also being lighter.
I think I'd be ALL OVER THAT. Honestly, I'm mental when it comes to manuals. I hate automatics. I get the benefits etc., but I can't stand them.
If we're going to lose ICEs eventually, getting some sort of manual in an EV to me sounds awesome.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The way you talk it sometimes sounds like you're evangelizing, rather than promoting a slow, steady adoption (which is reasonable, and I do support). It's the talk about how great they are, and how everyone should have one that rubs me the wrong way. I like the concept of the electric car. They just don't do it for me right now. I'm also sick of what I'll call the Prius Effect. I just associate any pro-EV talk with the holier-than-thou smugness of the early hybrid movement. At some point in the future, I will possibly own an EV. But only if it doesn't try to make engine noises at me. And the batteries need to not suck.
This ^^^

It always seems to have "impatience" in the background. Impatience that not everybody is as quick to embrace the same things that they have. Rubs me the wrong way, too.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Good point and in the UK charging pints are being installed in street lights and other places such as parking areas so that availability will improve. They are small discrete units that are easy to use by mobile app or card.
That alone makes me a little uneasy.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
How silly. Emeritus Fellow of Oxford University at a public event, not some 2 bit 'youtoobist'
With only a few exceptions, I'm not into watching videos to learn stuff either.

Especially if the link to a video is not accompanied by a short text summary by the forum poster who provided the link.

If it's not worth a few seconds of your time to hint at what I would be seeing, it's not worth minutes of my time to watch it.

The Engineering Explained guy and a couple other sources of technical content for cars are the only exceptions I can think of.

Norm

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With only a few exceptions, I'm not into watching videos to learn stuff either.

Especially if the link to a video is not accompanied by a short text summary by the forum poster who provided the link.

If it's not worth a few seconds of your time to hint at what I would be seeing, it's not worth minutes of my time to watch it.

The Engineering Explained guy and a couple other sources of technical content for cars are the only exceptions I can think of.

Norm
I have a friend who constantly sends me videos on our shared interests. I always tell him to link me an article if he wants me to give a shit :cwl:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The key for the US is that it’s not an impossible challenge.... It can be done, and it can be done relatively easily.
Physically, perhaps, maybe even probably.

It's the "coming up with the money to pay for it" part that isn't likely to ever be "relatively easy".

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Unfortunately we seem to have become violently opposed to any “changes” in this country whether it be technological advances or simply social changes... There has been a narrative spun in this country that these changes are destroying the “American way of life”. This of course creates some pretty strong resentment and cements opinions opposing changes. We take whatever issues we can find about that change and blow them up into some impossible challenge that we can’t possibly overcome to justify the narrative...

At some point this has got to stop......
As does the impatience being constantly demonstrated by those in favor of change with people who don't - or perhaps can't - cope with change as fast as they.

Wait until you're on "fixed income". Think you'll feel the same way? Think you'll be able to, financially?

Norm

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
This ^^^

It always seems to have "impatience" in the background. Impatience that not everybody is as quick to embrace the same things that they have. Rubs me the wrong way, too.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I don't see the problem with just asking Tony Stark to put arc reactors in cars. We've all seen the amazing stuff he can do with one in a suit....

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
London is also under some of the heaviest surveillance outside of the PRC. Surveillance with government levels of security and oversight...
PRC v London - mmmm methinks you don't know London. Lots of cameras doesn't mean government surveillance to the level of PRC

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
The best use for Youtube is instructional videos. Aside from what I've learned about doing (minor) things with my car, I'm currently teaching myself Photoshop using Youtube. It's an incredibly powerful and multi-featured product, and you can find step-by-steps to even some of the most complicated processes out there...

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
As does the impatience being constantly demonstrated by those in favor of change with people who don't - or perhaps can't - cope with change as fast as they.

Wait until you're on "fixed income". Think you'll feel the same way? Think you'll be able to, financially?

Norm
Some people can adapt to change faster than others. The issue today is the speed of which technology is allowing changes to happen. The faster change happens the more that those reluctant to it suffer.

By the way I am on a fixed income. But I've properly prepared for it. I am no more adverse to change than I was before I retired. That said I recognize that all change is not for the better. That's the change I take a pass on.
Sponsored