• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

I got to drive a S650 for the first time recently.. I'm underwhelmed

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
If you would understand the consequences of a 20 year old platform you would care...

The reason why the S650 is so heavy and offers so little improvements is mainly due to the outdated D2C platform. A newer platform would've easily allowed to use other materials and implement much more modern tech.

Imagine a S650 with a much lighter chassis and AWD that can go full RWD by clicking a button... 500 lbs less maybe?! What about HUD, 360 cameras, or a much stiffer and therefore performance oriented convertible? None of this happened and it's just disappointing to see that S650 really just is a facelifted S550.
Sure ... at a $100K+ price point. That's not what the Mustang is, nor what it was ever meant to be.
Sponsored

MichaelKael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maggie, beautiful Ā“15 Cyclone Mustang 51A Magnetic
lodge not pretend the mustang didnā€™t get more expensive either ok buddy? And for what? It didnā€™t gain performance. Itā€™s not new.

So yeah. We want more out of the car.
Soā€¦. Because it performs pretty much the same as a 2015, it should sell for the exact same price ??
We need to remain realistic here, every prices have gone up unfortunately, so thereā€™s that.
At the end of the day, what better car can you buy for the price of a Mustang.
Iā€™ll wait

MichaelKael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you would understand the consequences of a 20 year old platform you would care...

The reason why the S650 is so heavy and offers so little improvements is mainly due to the outdated D2C platform. A newer platform would've easily allowed to use other materials and implement much more modern tech.

Imagine a S650 with a much lighter chassis and AWD that can go full RWD by clicking a button... 500 lbs less maybe?! What about HUD, 360 cameras, or a much stiffer and therefore performance oriented convertible? None of this happened and it's just disappointing to see that S650 really just is a facelifted S550.
You need to save up. Like a lot.
Then go buy an Audi.

MichaelKael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a german car that delivers feelings of excitement reminiscent of a good game of solitaire and nondescript looks
Man you killed me here šŸ¤£
People are saying the Mustang is not as good as a Porsche GT3, while they wouldnā€™t be able to afford an oil change or replacing a dented wheel on itā€¦ šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

MichaelKael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a base 3.7 V6 2015 that I decided to sell when we had our 2nd kid.
Now they grew up and, I was ready to buy what is most likely going to be the last chance to a manual, V8 Mustang (funny to read people hoping for a Gen 8 to be another similar vehicle, with and ICEā€¦).

While I considered picking up a 2023 for a good discount, that interior is outdated; I want a base model, and that screen, is the same as a Nokia 3310.

The Mustang is a one of a kind vehicle, and at this price point, there is NOTHING that gets anywhere near that.
Even if you wanted to spend 10Gs more, nothing. Manual, V8, 4 seaterā€¦ nothing.

While I loved the 2015-2018, to me they ruined the 2018+ with the redesign, and I now love the 2024.
And my older daughter is SO pumped about it, which is priceless.

So Iā€™m gladly gonna go pickup my 2024 GT 300A-NPP-AVE, which is the most car my money can buy me in 2024, and enjoy it as a great 2nd family car (I work from home, and it wonā€™t see a Canadian winter).
People should buy what they want, what they can, and respect what others choose to do.
Noone needs to convince himself or others I think.

V10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Viper, '21 M2 Competition, '22 S1000RR
I saw that the DH in Car and Drivers lightning lap weighed in at 4024lbs. Crazy that a GT350 is almost 300lbs lighter. Not a good look for the S650.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
I saw that the DH in Car and Drivers lightning lap weighed in at 4024lbs. Crazy that a GT350 is almost 300lbs lighter. Not a good look for the S650.
My S197 is almost 300lbs lighter than a GT350.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT

Wow, AWD! Not being funny, but a lot of what you describe, besides the weight, is a Mach E GT so Ford has already given us a new chassis. Especially according to my neighbor. I wouldn't buy one but it is bad ass, he has a white one.

I love the look of the S650 so I am biased. I "like" the look of the S550. So killer looks, 36 more HP, improved Magneride, digital cockpit sensation, and exhaust is worth it to me. Out the box the car, like all Mustangs, is great and will allow those who wish to shed weight, lower suspension, add Whipple, etc. Is it worth going from an S550 to S650? That question is so unique to every individual and a worthless argument.

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Imagine a S650 with a much lighter chassis and AWD that can go full RWD by clicking a button.
AWD would make the Mustang irrelevant. The market is already saturated with 4Matic or Xdrive or other types. Many sports car enthusiasts who don't drive rally or drag have zero interest in AWD.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
AWD would make the Mustang irrelevant. The market is already saturated with 4Matic or Xdrive or other types. Many sports car enthusiasts who don't drive rally or drag have zero interest in AWD.
Iā€™d rather have a button for awd than automatic system suspension

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Iā€™d rather have a button for awd than automatic system suspension
Really? I'm surprised. But that's what you like and it's fine. I can't find anything that AWD does that contributes to my driving experience. I go on road courses. I don't do drag or rally. If I had an interest for AWD I'd probably not care about Mustangs tbh.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Really? I'm surprised. But that's what you like and it's fine. I can't find anything that AWD does that contributes to my driving experience. I go on road courses. I don't do drag or rally. If I had an interest for AWD I'd probably not care about Mustangs tbh.
Itā€™s along the line of having an additional function unrelated to the primary.

if Iā€™m getting an extra function/ability Iā€™d rather have one that could potentially aid as opposed to one that spontaneously stops the intended operation of the engine.

Reactions: JAL

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Sure ... at a $100K+ price point. That's not what the Mustang is, nor what it was ever meant to be.
Blame the government. Once you could buy a VW or Ford Maverick for about $2,.000. High end for a car was about $4,000. I didn't have the money to buy one of them but I paid less than $9,000 for my 82 GT. My 96 GT was about $27,000. An Econo Boost is far less than a GT or Dark horse but the dollar is worth less than ever before in history. If you vote for policies that drive up government spending, you get inflation and unfortunately many do.
Believe it or not, when I was in high school the national debit was was about 3 trillion dollars. Today it's ten time that and we don't have much to show for it other than empty pockets.
If you want a real lesson on inflation, google Weimar Republic.
Sponsored