• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Oil catch can YES or NO?

Nv6974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Do you think the oil catch can is beneficial or not?
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I installed one the day I brought the car home and continue to use one. I feel they are a step towards goodness and provide additional insight as to the health of the engine.

Oil and other contaminants are kept out of the intake runners, off the valves and out of the heads. They also give insight as to what is going on inside ((1) moisture, fuel, and coolant, (2) large amounts of oil).

It's a personal decision. Some swear by their use. Others see them as pointless.

In the first 1250 miles / 2011 kms, I drew 15ml, about one Tbs of oil. Depending on the application, some will draw more, some less.

Last edited:

Rice0086

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Focus RS
I installed one the day I brought the car home and continue to use one. I feel they are a step towards goodness and provide additional insight as to the health of the engine.

Oil and other contaminants are kept out of the intake runners, off the valves and out of the heads. They also give insight as to what is going on inside ((1) moisture, fuel, and coolant, (2) large amounts of oil).

It's a personal decision. Some swear by their use. Others see them as pointless.
In the first 1250 miles / 2011 kms, I drew 15ml, about one Tbs of oil. Depending on the application, some will draw more, some less.
Iā€™m surprised itā€™s not fitted as standard on all engines especially the EcoBoost ones I fitted them on my focus when I got it and itā€™s surprising to see how much oil it extracts from the air

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
So I have a Gen 3 V-8, drawing 15 ml / 1 Tbs of oil every 1250 miles, 2011 kms. If the car were a DD, putting down 10K mi / 16K km a year, that measures out to as much as 1/2 cup, 236 ml a year. I prefer to keep all that out of the intake system.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
so the catch can is less of an issue as port injected fuel will wash the valves
Watch this about port injection fixing the carbon buildup on intake valves.

Rick Deppe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Would a oil catch can, void factory warranty? If you had any engine problems.

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
On my last mustang, I had installed the one that Ford sold specifically for it, would be hard to tell me it was causing the problem...

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Ford Performance sells them. If it is a concern, simply remove the unit (they can be installed or removed in moments) before taking into the dealer and re-install after picking the car up.

Countless units are installed. I'm sure one can find extremes anywhere on the Internet, but I've never read of someone damaging their engine or having warranty service denied because of one.

Engine problems resulting in warranty denials most often involve things more obvious (extensive modifications, tuning, abuse, etc.) or a combination of these and other like factors. An oil catch can could be added to the pile, but would not be the driving (no pun intended) factor or the sole cause of the rejection.

I can appreciate owners being concerned about any modification from factory. If this is an interest, only use Ford-branded parts (including consumables like oil, filters, coolant, etc.) while the warranty period is active.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zig

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP, 2003 Cobra Yote Swapped, Braptor!
We always install catch cans on our cars/trucks. Whether stock or forced induction they do a great job keeping the oil mist from recirculating back through the intake, throttle body, engine and intercoolers (FI applications).

With that said I do recommend them to our customers.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We always install catch cans on our cars/trucks. Whether stock or forced induction they do a great job keeping the oil mist from recirculating back through the intake, throttle body, engine and intercoolers (FI applications).

With that said I do recommend them to our customers.
Throttle body? Interesting because I've always seen the downstream PCV hose on the vacuum side of the manifold (unless your talking about vapor release after the engine is shut off mucking up the back of the TB). Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding the PCV plumbing, but it's the same on my carbureted FE in my old truck. PCV hose is under the butterfly valves on the vacuum side.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP, 2003 Cobra Yote Swapped, Braptor!
Throttle body? Interesting because I've always seen the downstream PCV hose on the vacuum side of the manifold (unless your talking about vapor release after the engine is shut off mucking up the back of the TB). Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding the PCV plumbing, but it's the same on my carbureted FE in my old truck. PCV hose is under the butterfly valves on the vacuum side.
Speaking in terms of the Gen 3 coyote there's a drivers side PCV and a passenger side PCV. Typically the passenger side see's most of the oil mist however the drivers side can also recirculate mist from the valve cover into the intake where it then goes back through the throttle body/engine.

Now on the S650 with there being 2 intakes the PCV system may vary from how it worked on the S550 with the single intake. From pictures though, it looks to operate in a similar fashion, only uses one intake tube for the Driver Side PCV.

Once we get to spend some more time with a car developing the catch cans we'll have a better idea.
S650 Mustang Oil catch can YES or NO? mustang pcv

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Speaking in terms of the Gen 3 coyote there's a drivers side PCV and a passenger side PCV. Typically the passenger side see's most of the oil mist however the drivers side can also recirculate mist from the valve cover into the intake where it then goes back through the throttle body/engine.

Now on the S650 with there being 2 intakes the PCV system may vary from how it worked on the S550 with the single intake. From pictures though, it looks to operate in a similar fashion, only uses one intake tube for the Driver Side PCV.

Once we get to spend some more time with a car developing the catch cans we'll have a better idea.
mustang pcv .png
When do you anticipate having a fully developed catch can for the gen 4 Coyote? I'm very interested in getting one from y'all.
Sponsored