• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse carbon fiber wheel info & predictions

What do you think the carbon fiber wheel measurements will be? (choose 1 diameter, 1 width set)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
This thread is for information about the carbon fiber wheels coming to the Dark Horse, and I will do my best to keep it up to date​

When?
Short Answer: August 28th, 2023
Ford's Fleet Dealer News Bulletins as of February 10th are saying that the carbon fiber wheels are late availability, and production of vehicles optioned with them will start August 28th, 2023

How big?
Short Answer: 19" diameter, 10.5" + 11" width
Both diameter and width have been confirmed, the wheels are the same size as the standard handling package wheels

How much?
Short Answer: Supposedly about $8500-$9000
Pricing was leaked earlier and according for Ford Authority, the CF wheel package will be $8450, which is fairly close to my estimate, but Rati's Rides mentioned them being $8995, so we'll see if Ford Authority lied again

How do they look?
They are thick 5-spoke wheels with a sort of "blade" between the spokes
S650 Mustang Dark Horse carbon fiber wheel info & predictions 1676004568267

from this post

based on the Ford Media pictures, it looks like the blue CF is on the inner edge, behind the spokes and blades
S650 Mustang Dark Horse carbon fiber wheel info & predictions 1676007518029

it's still unclear if the blue carbon fiber is appearance-package exclusive

This post will be updated as time passes to add the latest info
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
I did see some info somewhere stating 2 options, black and also black with blue fibers woven in, assuming for the dark horse appearance package. I cannot remember where i saw it, I'll update if I find it again.

Also, the CFTP is 18,500 for 2020 GT500. I would bet the CF wheels are every bit of 10k for the Dark Horse.

S650 Mustang Dark Horse carbon fiber wheel info & predictions Screenshot_20221113-233326_Chrome

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Given the option, I would not want them painted. If paying for them, I'd want people to know they are CF. :sunglasses:

OP
OP
roket

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
I did see some info somewhere stating 2 options, black and also black with blue fibers woven in, assuming for the dark horse appearance package. I cannot remember where i saw it, I'll update if I find it again.
found it, Motortrend said it in this article
"Two designs will be offered—one plain black and another that incorporates a subtle blue accent fiber woven in."
now it makes sense why there's a big delay, they gotta do the tooling/setup for the blue fibers

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
I honestly think carbon wheels are just the latest trend that will eventually fade away.
Yes, the performance benefits are huge but if they take on any sort of damage, their structural integrity is gone. I like to think of carbon parts like glass; extremely rigid with virtually zero flex up to their yield point but if you do manage to cross that point, they shatter rather than deform.
This is the exact reason racing teams don't use carbon wheels and why Porsche doesn't even use them on their street cars.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
I honestly think carbon wheels are just the latest trend that will eventually fade away.
Yes, the performance benefits are huge but if they take on any sort of damage, their structural integrity is gone. I like to think of carbon parts like glass; extremely rigid with virtually zero flex up to their yield point but if you do manage to cross that point, they shatter rather than deform.
This is the exact reason racing teams don't use carbon wheels and why Porsche doesn't even use them on their street cars.
Bingo. This is also why having a carbon roof made me uneasy when I had an M3. IMO CF parts should be limited to non structural components - hood, splitter, wing, etc.

GT Premi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT500 '17 GT350R '20 X5 M50i
Given the option, I would not want them painted. If paying for them, I'd want people to know they are CF. :sunglasses:
Everybody knows the GT350R has carbon fiber wheels, and they're painted.🤷‍♂️

Porsche absolutely does use CF wheels on their street cars. Look up the 911 Turbo S Exclusive. Carbon fiber wheels are also available for the Panamera and the 911 GT# cars. Heck, if you ponied up enough cash, you probably could order some for the Cayenne.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
Porsche absolutely does use CF wheels on their street cars. Look up the 911 Turbo S Exclusive. Carbon fiber wheels are also available for the Panamera and the 911 GT# cars. Heck, if you ponied up enough cash, you probably could order some for the Cayenne.
Ok, to be fair I don't know the details on all their cars but I know for a fact they don't offer carbon wheels on the new GT4RS and Andreas Preuninger said in an interview they only offered Mag wheels on the upper trim because carbon fails dramatically when damaged. I assume the same for the new GT3RS.

Regardless, if IMSA and F1 don't use carbon wheels, that's a pretty good indication that carbon wheels are just a marketing piece. Yes they perform well and they aid in lap times (as a sales pitch) but as a consumer who will actually take the car to the track, beat on it, jump curbs, and compete in w2w or time attack, carbon wheels are just an overly expensive failure point.

When surpassing the yield point of any material, bending/deforming is MUCH more desirable than completely shattering.

OP
OP
roket

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
honestly, here's what i think
- not great for pure racing due to reasons Ewheels mentioned​
- 99% of people who will get it won't race much or at all​
- it's good that they're being offered because it means they might become more common and less expensive, the people who are getting them are early adopters​
- you have bragging rights that you have a mustang with factory carbon fiber wheels, plus there's no doubt they look pretty cool​

OP
OP
roket

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
something i only now realized was that article by Carbon Revolution says "FY23" and that means "financial year", i honestly thought it was some fancy way to say "year"
in any case, that means that production for the wheels could start in March or April of 2023!

OP
OP
roket

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
new Ford Frontline came out, will make a post on everything when I get home, but Ford has confirmed that they are going to be 19" diameter
S650 Mustang Dark Horse carbon fiber wheel info & predictions 1000001828

OP
OP
roket

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
I forgot to mention it, but a few weeks ago i emailed Carbon Revolution asking about 3 things
1. width of the wheels
2. whether the blue cf rumor was true
3. if the spoke design will be the 7-spoke again

the answer i got can basically be summed up as: we're under an NDA with Ford and don't want to get sued, so you need to wait

full answer:
Thanks for your enquiry – we’re glad you’re interested in our wheels.

We can’t say much about future products due to our contract with Ford. There is some information in this media release which might shed a bit of light on your questions. Needless to say, we are very excited for the reveal and we’re eagerly awaiting more info on the new Mustang to be shared!

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...09/14/ford-introduces-mustang-dark-horse.html

Keep following us on socials so you can be the first to know when we share more info.

OP
OP
roket

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
the carbon fiber wheels have been revealed, it's a brand new design!
you can see them in the video in this post
S650 Mustang Dark Horse carbon fiber wheel info & predictions 1676003915174

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
These wheels look a lot like the 2018 extra cost polished wheels that Ford offered. Except in Carbon Fibre.
Sponsored