• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2024 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Potentially Spotted Testing With Current Model

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Forums are a funny place. Here's an opportunity to discuss what you'd like in an S650 Mach 1, or equivalent, and most people end up arguing about EVs instead :facepalm:
Yeah - for a second I thought I was on the Mach-E forum.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Looking at the rear shots of this S650, did Ford incorporate the MockEry rear taillights? I can’t figure out why the rear camo white see through section is elongated at the top of the tails….and it makes one wonder if they’re putting on rear tails that resemble those on the MockEry….

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I get that you like the Mach E. I do too on its own premise - a stylish electric SUV.

ITS GREAT actually and competes well in that category.

where many people were upset and alienated was regarding the disingenuous nature of the whole thing.

Mustang is an enthusiast sporty car. Rip snorting power, handling and speed with the character behind it thst makes it fun. Some describe this as “soul.”

to start: the Mach E is an SUV. That alone disqualified it as a true Mustang in the heritage along the lines of the MACH 1, GT, BOSS, Gt350, GT500, BOSS 429, Cobra, etc.

The Mustang is not a utility vehicle, grocery getter, people mover, etc. it’s a sports car (pony car) that actually sacrifices such things to maximize performance, but not totally eliminating them to the degree a corvette, viper, Ford GT, etc. do. That’s its category. It crated the category and opened a space for competitors such as the Camaro, Challenger, etc. to play in. putting a horse sticker on an SUV doesn’t make it a pony car or a Mustang at that.

the electric power train actually doesn’t bother me that much.True Mustangs may eventually go exclusively electric at some point. It would be better to go hybrid to retain some of the exciting elements as trivial as they seem to some - such as the feel of the engine when you apply the throttle liberally, the rock concert sound blaring from the exhaust - there is truly something magical about an American v8 with a proper exhaust set up. But it may be unavoidable. Tesla has shown that the combination of AWD and big electric power is a serious performance winner.

but a pony car is a pony car and an SUV is An SUV. EVEN Chevy knows better than to call their Camaro inspired electric blazer a Camaro SE or something.

so in the interest of steering this back on course, the true next gen Mustang, the s650 is nearly ready to show its face. Judging by Chazcrons excellent renders, we get an idea of whether we will like it or not. At least the front end. And even for those like me that aren’t fans of the leaked pics - there are always the model year facelifts to rectify things. Hopefully they are working on AWD for the alpha dog models. This car is going to be around a while.
I can see why people don't like using the mustang name, it's certainly polarizing. That being said, I would only hate the mach-e if it replaced the normal coupe. I kinda dig the idea of doing mustang oriented performance cars outside of the coupe as long as the coupe remains. It kinda reminds me of Halloween 3:Season of the witch. A film that's often considered one of the best films in the Halloween franchise in terms of originality and concept. Yet, it was hated upon release, because it was a Halloween film without Michael Myers. The director said they were doomed either way, the film was bashed because it used the Halloween name, but it was only greenlit because it taped into a recognizable and beloved franchise. The mach-e is kinda the same thing. It's hated because it uses mustang branding, but it was only made the way it was to live up to the mustang name. If they had stood behind their original decision to not call it a mustang, the car we would have gotten would have been ugly, with absolutely no performance credentials. Using the mustang name forced the team to create a far more attractive, and interesting product that doesn't step on the toes of the coupe. In a way, I get the impression the mustang sub brand has become the home of cool performance products that would otherwise never be approved. A future high performance ev focus probably won't happen, but we basically got that with Mach-e gt, which is basically a hot hatch and not an SUV, despite what the marketing department says. We'll probably never see another high performance fusion,Tarus, or falcon. But rumors imply a mustang sedan is at least being considered, if it isn't already in development. It's very unlikely that ford will offer a cheaper gt to rival the c8, but whose to say they won't offer a mid-engine mustang to tap into that market. There are things that should never be part of the mustang brand, like a truck or a van. But a world where we have a mustang coupe, hot hatch, sedan and exotic car isn't such a terrible thing imo. If anything, it breathes more life into the mustang name and ensures future investments.

StangGang93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln MKZ Black Label
Looking at the rear shots of this S650, did Ford incorporate the MockEry rear taillights? I can’t figure out why the rear camo white see through section is elongated at the top of the tails….and it makes one wonder if they’re putting on rear tails that resemble those on the MockEry….
I feel the taillights will possibly resemble the front lights tilted at a more aggressive angle !

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I can see why people don't like using the mustang name, it's certainly polarizing. That being said, I would only hate the mach-e if it replaced the normal coupe. I kinda dig the idea of doing mustang oriented performance cars outside of the coupe as long as the coupe remains. It kinda reminds me of Halloween 3:Season of the witch. A film that's often considered one of the best films in the Halloween franchise in terms of originality and concept. Yet, it was hated upon release, because it was a Halloween film without Michael Myers. The director said they were doomed either way, the film was bashed because it used the Halloween name, but it was only greenlit because it taped into a recognizable and beloved franchise. The mach-e is kinda the same thing. It's hated because it uses mustang branding, but it was only made the way it was to live up to the mustang name. If they had stood behind their original decision to not call it a mustang, the car we would have gotten would have been ugly, with absolutely no performance credentials. Using the mustang name forced the team to create a far more attractive, and interesting product that doesn't step on the toes of the coupe. In a way, I get the impression the mustang sub brand has become the home of cool performance products that would otherwise never be approved. A future high performance ev focus probably won't happen, but we basically got that with Mach-e gt, which is basically a hot hatch and not an SUV, despite what the marketing department says. We'll probably never see another high performance fusion,Tarus, or falcon. But rumors imply a mustang sedan is at least being considered, if it isn't already in development. It's very unlikely that ford will offer a cheaper gt to rival the c8, but whose to say they won't offer a mid-engine mustang to tap into that market. There are things that should never be part of the mustang brand, like a truck or a van. But a world where we have a mustang coupe, hot hatch, sedan and exotic car isn't such a terrible thing imo. If anything, it breathes more life into the mustang name and ensures future investments.
I respect your opinion, but a brand is a brand. A model is a model.

all Fords are not Mustangs.

when you hear “Aventador” you don’t think “Urus.”

when you hear “Mustang,” you don’t hear “Escape.” Or any other suv.

models exist as clearly distinguished forms. A coupe is a coupe. It’s not also an SUV, truck, or motorcycle.

dodge did not rename the trailhawk to the challenger.

SUVs sell in huge numbers. So it’s easy to see why some marketing folks want to say “the mustang sold THIS many”

but really, the Mach E was never intended to be a “Mustang.” The major development work was done And they decided to name it that at the last minute. Those are the facts. They wanted a name recognition boost to help push the new baby out into the market.

So much has gone into defining what a Mustang was and is. Form factor is everything. SUV is not it at all.

I like the Mach e on its own merit it’s a pretty good EV that looks nice and performs well.

it’s just not a mustang, no matter how many horse stickers it has.
Ford would do better to rename it after this generation.

ford is the family, Mustang is a member of that family. That member has different costumes (BOSS, COBRA, etc). When you go beyond that, it’s a mess and makes talking about a product annoying and confusing - especially one so solidified in global consciousness as a sports car/pony car.

the sooner Ford gets back to reality on this, the better. The Mach E and the Mustang itself wlll both benefit.

calling a truck/suv something it obviously isn’t is only hurting the brand. I imagine it would sell better as well if it had an original nomenclature.

the Mustang doesn’t need an SUV umbrella to report sales numbers under. It just needs to be a car befitting it’s iconic name and report the sales numbers as they are. It’s an icon, a halo. not a huge seller. But something that puts shine on Ford without being confused with a soccer transport.

Petter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit (2022), Mustang Mach-E (2021)
the Mach E was never intended to be a “Mustang.” The major development work was done And they decided to name it that at the last minute. Those are the facts. They wanted a name recognition boost to help push the new baby out into the market.
Not accurate as I understand it. What became the Mustang Mach-E started out as a compliance BEV. Jim Hackett pulled the plug on that project because it hadn't reached the point of no return. Then they started looking at the car from a new angle, and Jim Farley suggested that they make it a Mustang, as an extension of the Mustang family with a different powertrain.

seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT
Apropos of nothing. Or relevant, you can decide. I was getting gas this week in this car and a guy asked me how I liked the electric Mustang. I smiled and said it's not for me. He then asked why I bought it then. Granted he could have been drunk or something because we were having this conversation at a gas pump (but before i started pumping).

S650 Mustang 2024 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Potentially Spotted Testing With Current Model 20220707_185259

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Not accurate as I understand it. What became the Mustang Mach-E started out as a compliance BEV. Jim Hackett pulled the plug on that project because it hadn't reached the point of no return. Then they started looking at the car from a new angle, and Jim Farley suggested that they make it a Mustang, as an extension of the Mustang family with a different powertrain.
the sheet metal, lights, and name changed. Not the structure of the vehicle

lit wasn’t intended to be a “Mustang” until late in the game for marketing reasons, which probably hurt more than helped.

hopefullyit gets depressed into its own, more authentic brand in the future so that it can stand on its merits, of which there are plenty - and also discontinue diluting the actual Mustang brand. .

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
the sheet metal, lights, and name changed. Not the structure of the vehicle

lit wasn’t intended to be a “Mustang” until late in the game for marketing reasons, which probably hurt more than helped.

hopefullyit gets depressed into its own, more authentic brand in the future so that it can stand on its merits, of which there are plenty - and also discontinue diluting the actual Mustang brand. .
Based on what I've seen, ford still made quite a few engineering changes. The original car was fwd, not red, had softer suspension, and lacked powerful motors. But I see what you're saying, it was a change that was made late in the game. I'm guessing the next gen mach-e will be a far more radical vehicle. Both in the looks and performance departments.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Based on what I've seen, ford still made quite a few engineering changes. The original car was fwd, not red, had softer suspension, and lacked powerful motors. But I see what you're saying, it was a change that was made late in the game. I'm guessing the next gen mach-e will be a far more radical vehicle. Both in the looks and performance departments.
mat this point, they have to.

they called it s mustang. It’s is anything but.

it gets panned by the auto journalists and even YouTubers constantly - not on its merits, but because of the asinine decision to call it something it will never be, no matter what the electric output is or how stiff the shocks are. So Ford marketing feels the pressure.

next, they’ll have it beat the actual mustang in performance in order to hype it up - if common sense continues to fall by the wayside.