• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Citing a recent, confidential multi-day Ford dealer meeting in Texas, industry publication Automotive News reports the next-generation Mustang (codenamed S650) is slated for launch for Model Year 2023 in the US, which would see it go on sale between mid-2022 and mid-2023.

This info, including the fact S650 won't be CD6 based, but another heavy reworking of the current D2C platform, backs up what @amk91 has been telling us for a while.

Whilst this isn't the first time info has leaked from a dealer meeting, I'm surprised to hear that's where this info comes from, as Ford have doubled down on NDAs etc, so someone could be in big trouble!
Sponsored

Jerryy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Race Red FBO Mustang EcoBoost Premium
This is great news considering the absolute silence we've had to endure as of lately! I can't wait!

Ford have doubled down on NDAs etc, so someone could be in big trouble!
Hahaha, this unfortunately has been the ongoing theme with all of the info we've gotten so far regarding the S650!! We need our info!

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
Honestly I wouldn' trust automotivenews at all. They recently had this statement about a 4-door electric Camaro that nobody else knew about and which contradicts what Chevy teases officially. The big thing is: All of their somehow exclusive new informations are behind a paywall, which makes me really curious if his site (which never had exclusive Mustang or Camaro stuff in the past) actually got these contacts or just straigth up making up stuff to get new subscribers

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
It doesn't hurt to be sceptical, its the internet after all. However, the article also detailed quite a few other areas so I'd be surprised if Automotive News made all this up.

(I've copied this from the Blueoval News forum)

========================================================
The multiday meeting focused on Farley's desire to form an "always-on relationship" with customers as presenters stressed the increasingly key role of connectivity for profit margins. [This includes] an expansion of the FordPass app and over-the-air updates to improve vehicles after purchase.
Also:
Ford detailed new incentives to encourage service technician retention and promised to keep its commercial EVs, which will fall under a new FordPro subsidiary, accessible to its wider dealer body — in contrast to General Motors, which plans to sell its BrightDrop electric delivery vans through separate stores that won't necessarily be affiliated with GM dealers.
Also this:
The officials said a plan to send dealers unfinished vehicles is on hold for now and likely won't be implemented unless production is hampered significantly in the coming months, according to those at the meeting.
This mention of Maverick and perhaps an attempt to downplay the talk of a lesser showroom presence:
Dealers who attended the meeting drove preproduction models of the upcoming Maverick hybrid compact pickup, which Ford stressed would be a major part of future showrooms.
And some product news (none of which should be surprising):
The company's large SUVs, the Expedition and Lincoln Navigator, will get hybrid variants within a few years as part of expected redesigns. Hybrid powertrains are also expected on popular models including the Ranger, Mustang and Ford's Bronco family of utilities. After the middle part of the decade, Ford could add battery-powered versions of its Bronco SUV or Ranger midsize pickup — two possibilities it hinted at in May and which would align with its focus on electrifying strong-selling, established vehicles.
And finally:
Dealers said the tone was upbeat and that they appreciated Ford's transparency, which some had felt was missing under Farley's predecessor, Jim Hackett

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i '09
Based on this, I am not sure how big of a redesign 7 gen be. Maybe some minor changes.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
Based on this, I am not sure how big of a redesign 7 gen be. Maybe some minor changes.
Think 2009 to 2010 S197.... New sheet metal and interior but a largely unchanged chassis/suspension. Drivetrains are the unknown. A hybrid in 2025 instead of at launch seems odd to me....

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6spd California Black
So...... changing the debate of whether it's going to be a v8 or hybrid or electric.

Let's say a hybrid was coming 2023

Do you think it will try and be a v8 with a elec engine added on or a electric engine with v8 added on?

Given some electric cars add in engine sounds, I'm starting to think maybe the hybrid will just suck

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
So...... changing the debate of whether it's going to be a v8 or hybrid or electric.

Let's say a hybrid was coming 2023

Do you think it will try and be a v8 with a elec engine added on or a electric engine with v8 added on?

Given some electric cars add in engine sounds, I'm starting to think maybe the hybrid will just suck
If a hybrid is coming in 23 then I wouldn’t expect it to be a v8 hybrid. Simple reason is that it wouldn’t be a manual if it was a hybrid. I would expect the EB4 to get the electric assisted 10 speed.

fpvfan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 mustang GT
That's almost disappointing to be honest that it's going to be just more of the same. Not saying that the Mustang is bad but it's gotten boring now. I did see on Ford Authority that Ford is testing a Charger Hellcat or something. Honestly it would be great if Ford did have a Charger-sized performance sedan in the Mustang family that had AWD (RWD based) and performance. Even without a V8 (although nothing beats a V8 rumble) Ford could easily take the 450hp/510 3.5L Ecoboost and mate it to a Tremec TR-9070 DCT with AWD and go toe-to-toe with the 392-Hemi, while the 3.0L 400hp/415tq 3.0L Ecoboost would be the equivalent of the Charger's 5.7L Hemi while at the bottom, the 350hp 2.3L Ecoboost would set the standard for performance. The 3.0L Hybrid already makes almost 500hp/630lb-ft of torque in the Aviator GT, what happens when you apply that kind of technology with the Ford GT supercar 3.5L V6 that already makes 660hp/550tq? While the formula may not be accurate, just with the math of the non hybrid 3.0L Ecoboost making 400hp/415tq and the hybrid making 494hp/630tq, that would put the 660hp/550tq ecoboost 3.5L at 754hp/765tq which nears the Hellcat Redeye's 797hp and passes its 707lb-ft of torque. Put the Hybrid Technology in the DCT and have the regular DCT and Hybrid DCT as the only two transmission options. Suspension packages from the GT PP1, GT PP2, GT350, Mach 1 and GT500 Mustang would work with the new vehicle and Brembo brake packages would obviously work along with the vehicle as well so what Ford would really need to focus on is the sound of these vehicles. The Ford GT supercar sounds pretty good and the new Raptor sounds decent but most other Ecoboost vehicles sound horrible so Ford would need to incorporate an exhaust that sounds good on this car. No Recaro seats (Dodge has way better seats than anything Recaro has ever offered), no huge vision obstructing Infotainment screens (make them wide, not tall) or any of that stuff. No rotary dial shifter (short console auto shifter w/paddle shift) and let that be it. Even if it's in the Mustang family, don't call it a Mustang, call it the Falcon. Granted it can have alot of Mustang DNA to it (fastback, coke bottle shape, etc.) but make it it's own car. Give it tail lights more like the full width ones on the '70 Torino, aero upgrades, ram air hoods, etc. Trim levels should be the 350hp Sport, the 400hp ST, 450hp XR6-T, the 500hp RS (hybrid) and the 754hp "R." Once Roush and Steeda get their hands on this vehicle along with Ford Performance, a car like this would definitely rival the Charger's supremacy on the streets.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang
I'm guessing when they say hybrid, they mean mild hybrid, not plug in. Regardless, a Mustang Ecoboost currently has 310 hp and 350 ft lb torque. Adding a small electric motor and battery could easily push those numbers to 350 or more hp and over 400 ft lb torque. If extra weight could be minimized or offset somewhere else, that would be pretty impressive.

BTW. Trying to project out to 2030 is really hard to do. We know battery technology is changing fast, so don't know what that will look like next year yet along by end of decade. And we don't know what the infrastructure (charging station network) will be in the future. More important, much of these changes are driven by politics which seem to change every 4 years. Bottom line is that we know there will be BEV vehicles in our future, but ICE vehicles may not be going away as fast as we think.
Sponsored