• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What do you guys plan on powering with the rearview mirror USB port?

OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
I’m running a camera from that port too and I don’t think it’s turning off with the car either. Got this warning today.

S650 Mustang What do you guys plan on powering with the rearview mirror USB port? IMG_1833

OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah! That’s my concern.
I’m doing some testing right now with my phone plugged in to the rear view mirror. 2 of the 3 times I tried it the phone kept charging even after accessory / switched power was lost to everything else. Verified this by plugging into the USB below the ac vents as well. After accessory power was gone the USB ports below the ac vents wouldn’t charge but the USB port attached to the rear view mirror still would charge 2 of the 3 times.

Eric0w

Threads
Reaction score
Website
nytop.store
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
UPDATE: not sure if it’s the car or the camera, but after the car is off for over 20-30 mins, the camera shuts off. There is a setting in the camera that says auto shut off after 20 mintues. Maybe the camera can detect when it’s not moving for a while and it will shut off. Once the camera shuts off, the USB port will actually stop supplying power until the next engine start. This could also be the USB port itself that turns off after a while. Have to do more testing to see.

I’m doing some testing right now with my phone plugged in to the rear view mirror. 2 of the 3 times I tried it the phone kept charging even after accessory / switched power was lost to everything else. Verified this by plugging into the USB below the ac vents as well. After accessory power was gone the USB ports below the ac vents wouldn’t charge but the USB port attached to the rear view mirror still would charge 2 of the 3 times.

Pyroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
I want to do this but worry about the battery drain. My camera has a parking mode and want to use it. Keep us updated. I just think I'm going to have to run it to the fuse box with the battery monitor cable

OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: not sure if it’s the car or the camera, but after the car is off for over 20-30 mins, the camera shuts off. There is a setting in the camera that says auto shut off after 20 mintues. Maybe the camera can detect when it’s not moving for a while and it will shut off. Once the camera shuts off, the USB port will actually stop supplying power until the next engine start. This could also be the USB port itself that turns off after a while. Have to do more testing to see.
Yea, let me know if you find a better camera that works with regular old USB. It was hard for me to find something with good resolution above 1080 that used regular USB instead of USB-C. My camera was highly rated but the app that goes with it is terribly rated somehow and I had only looked at reviews of the actual camera before I bought it. There is a motion detection setting I'm going to try next that might take care of the accessory power issue but unfortunately this COOAU branded dash cam has an app that repeatedly fails to load the videos onto my phone so I'm stuck pulling the sd card to try and review anything. It also warns that using motion detection might make the camera turn off while you are driving. Not ideal obviously. Probably going to try and return it regardless.

Back2Gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I’m running a camera from that port too and I don’t think it’s turning off with the car either. Got this warning today.

IMG_1833.jpeg
I got this message and I don't even have a dash cam installed. I think it's automatically sent when you haven't driven your vehicle for a while.

stevev201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Perfomance GT. 2023 Silverado ZR2
Yesterday I got my new GT and today it was time to install the radar detector. I used the Bland Mount to mount it, worked great, but plugging into the mirror seems to be a issue as it stays on. I did not leave it on for more than 5 minutes and it was still lit up. Anyone have any more thoughts on this? Should I leave it on longer to see if it shuts down after a period of time? Other than that, a very nice car so far! Also installed the UPR catch can, but there are a few small issues there, and removed the junk that they installed in both the air intake tubes as has been mentioned. Amazing it got much air with those filter inside! I have also talked with MIke at Soler who does all the custom throttle body work. After sending him pictures of the throttle bodies on our new cars, alsong with the part numbers, he told me that its the same throttle bodies Ford has used for the past few years, just now there are 2. Just FYI to all.

OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yesterday I got my new GT and today it was time to install the radar detector. I used the Bland Mount to mount it, worked great, but plugging into the mirror seems to be a issue as it stays on. I did not leave it on for more than 5 minutes and it was still lit up. Anyone have any more thoughts on this? Should I leave it on longer to see if it shuts down after a period of time? Other than that, a very nice car so far! Also installed the UPR catch can, but there are a few small issues there, and removed the junk that they installed in both the air intake tubes as has been mentioned. Amazing it got much air with those filter inside! I have also talked with MIke at Soler who does all the custom throttle body work. After sending him pictures of the throttle bodies on our new cars, alsong with the part numbers, he told me that its the same throttle bodies Ford has used for the past few years, just now there are 2. Just FYI to all.
The only way to ever get my dash cam to power down while plugged into the mirror was to make sure I locked the doors. Unfortunately, I also had to set the dash cam to motion detection so eventually the camera would stop trying to do things and turn itself off as even locking the doors didn't work all the time from what I remember. Most of the time when I didn't lock the doors and just walked away the dash cam would stay on all night.

stevev201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Perfomance GT. 2023 Silverado ZR2
Ok, an update to my earlier post. My Uniden R7 does work great off the mirror and yes it does stay on for a while, but does go off after about 15 to 20 minutes. ( didnt time it with a watch). It has to be the car that timing the outlet out as my other 2 cars have the same detector and they do not go off except with the key and rotating them thru the Mustang power feed resulted in each one doing the same thing. Now I have noticed on a few occasions that when the car was started, the detector did not power back on until I pulled the power plug and then plugged the detector cord back into it. Not every time either which is a bit odd. Who nows right, but overall it functions fine.FYI to all.

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
This, sir, is GREAT NEWS !
Which cam do you use ? (I see 70mai ?)
Would you recommend it ?
My Vantrue N4 Pro uses the mirror USB, and I never have to turn it off or on. But it does not stay on for long after the car is turned off. I'm not sure others' USB ports are or should be staying on. I tried it by enabled parking mode as well, but again it doesn't stay on for long.

DavidC166

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang
@stevev201 - My R7 will not power on with this port… it will with other ports. It does make the R7 make a high-pitch noise and resets my configuration. Using Jsevcip cable - Amazon. Any ideas ?? TIA, David

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
something to note is it looks like that port might be only USB 2.0 (based on the black alignment tab), which has a power rating of 5V at 0.5A. of course, that's what it's rated at, but Ford might've just allowed for the full 5 amps to be pulled before the fuse pops
Sponsored