• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Warm up or Start up and Go?

Matts2024GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Vapor Blue
When I start my car in the morning, I noticed the high idle goes down to 1K RPM after maybe 30 sec.
However, I noticed that once my oil temp reaches 87F my idle speed goes down further.
So I usually wait till that point before I pull away. It seems to make sense to do so, but am I wasting my time?
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
There's no reason to wait. All you're doing is burning fuel.

Wiley Marmot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Prem
I respectfully disagree. At the first start up of the day, virtually all the oil in your engine's moving parts has drained back down into the pan. Letting it idle for 1 to 2 mins on start up, allows your oil pick up & pump to get that vital oil circulating and lubricating the moving engine parts with little to no load on the engine. Good time investment on engine longevity [assuming you're not at redline every other second of operation! :crackup: ]

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless it was extremely cold, it would be near impossible to get into a vehicle, start it, get it into gear, and take off before the oil pressure was up to normal. I would not take off and the immediately start to do burn outs, but you get the picture.

If it is extremely cold and you're still running a high viscosity motor oil, wait no more than about 30 seconds. Use that 30 seconds to ask yourself why you're still running a high viscosity motor oil when it's cold/winter.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Option #1 Start up, let RPMs drop a bit after initial start up (so like 10-30 seconds), then drive away and let temperature increase. The idle RMPs will be lower once warmed up. [RECOMMENDED]

Option #2 Start up, grab beer and chug, once empty drive away and hit neighbor's mailbox for 10 extra points. Keep RPMs in the red area of the tach and once the fuel gauge reaches half way, floor the sucker until gauge reads E for Euphoria. [ALSO RECOMMENDED]

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
Option #1 Start up, let RPMs drop a bit after initial start up (so like 10-30 seconds), then drive away and let temperature increase. The idle RMPs will be lower once warmed up. [RECOMMENDED]

Option #2 Start up, grab beer and chug, once empty drive away and hit neighbor's mailbox for 10 extra points. Keep RPMs in the red area of the tach and once the fuel gauge reaches half way, floor the sucker until gauge reads E for Euphoria. [ALSO RECOMMENDED]
Ill take option #1 but to each there own, keep your kids inside if you have a neighbor who uses option # 2.

24grabbergt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 mustang gt premium

i prefer option 2 😁

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP
I noticed my car runs much smoother when i let it warm up until it idles as low as it gets.

When am in a rush and i only wait 30 sec to a minute, i notice its significantly more jerky… which i don’t like.

If you’re not in a rush, I suggest you let it take the time it needs to lubricate all parts.

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
I noticed my car runs much smoother when i let it warm up until it idles as low as it gets.

When am in a rush and i only wait 30 sec to a minute, i notice its significantly more jerky… which i don’t like.

If you’re not in a rush, I suggest you let it take the time it needs to lubricate all parts.
The transmission will never be as warm as the motor until you drive it. Cold starts run rich, all it does is dump more fuel into your oil.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The transmission will never be as warm as the motor until you drive it. Cold starts run rich, all it does is dump more fuel into your oil.
^ This. You can sit and idle for an hour and your transmission and diff aren't going to warm up.

Again, it doesn't take but about 8-9-10 seconds for the engine oil system to be pressurized under normal circumstances.

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
^ This. You can sit and idle for an hour and your transmission and diff aren't going to warm up.

Again, it doesn't take but about 8-9-10 seconds for the engine oil system to be pressurized under normal circumstances.
Right ^, my "transmission" is a little laggy for the first mile or so, I just take it easy grab a coffee then all is well.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
So I usually wait till that point before I pull away. It seems to make sense to do so, but am I wasting my time?
Depends, got anything better to do? I mean, how you feel first thing in the morning? Letting her warm up is relative. First time right off the bat from sitting overnight and engine temp is like um 0 (zero) then yes, give her a moment to catch a rhythm, say hello, and then progress as needed. If you’ve got good pressure but not too much and temps it’s gonna technically be ‘ok’ to fire her up and take off but and however that will also put you into the severe use category.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you’ve got good pressure but not too much and temps it’s gonna technically be ‘ok’ to fire her up and take off but and however that will also put you into the severe use category.
I've seen many different lists of conditions for Ford vehicles that dictate when you should observe the 'severe duty' maintenance schedule, but I don't recall one that includes not letting your vehicle idle (warm up) as a condition. If the Mustang is any different than F-Series, I sure would like to see it. But here's what I got:

Severe Driving Conditions include one or more of the following:
1) Short trips of less than 10 miles (16km) when outside temperatures remain below freezing;
2) Towing a trailer; using a camper, roof-top carrier, or carrying maximum loads;
3) Operating in severe dust conditions
4) Operating during hot weather in stop-and-go "rush hour" traffic;
5) Extensive idling, such as police, taxi, or door-to-door delivery use;
6) Snow plowing
7) High speed operation with a fully-loaded vehicle (max. GVW);

CDNV8S650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future owner S650 GT PREM
with a N/A motor you do not need to wait longer then 5-10 seconds.

My Subaru WRX i only even waited 5-10 seconds max. Obviously in places where temps drop below freezing you would wait a bit longer, but 30 seconds all you would need.

Pro Tip: no matter what, under any circumstances dont beat or rev high rpms until the vehicle is at operating temperature. This should be your only concern not going after starting.
Sponsored