• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Trickle charger recommendation for winter storage.

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
So with the lousy winters I get up here, my car will be in storage for about 4 months out of the year. Any recommendations for a trickle charger?
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
https://accessories.ford.com/products/ford-performance-5-0-smart-battery-charger-maintainer

I have this one installed. CTEK is very popular. The Ford unit looks exactly like CTEK's and I believe is made by them. Works well. No hassles.

The unit has a connectorised plug with two pig tails. One has traditional clips to attach to the battery. I'm using the connector with the eyelets; it's hard-wired in.

Another popular brand is "Battery Tender", the green units.

S650 Mustang Trickle charger recommendation for winter storage. skye tender 1

S650 Mustang Trickle charger recommendation for winter storage. skye tender 2

S650 Mustang Trickle charger recommendation for winter storage. skye tender 3

OP
OP
erocker

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh nice! Had no idea Ford sold one, thank you very much!

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
My Winter Storage Routine...

- Full detailing
- Full tank of gas
- Stabil
- Tire pressure set to 40 psi / 2.75 bar
- Car in neutral
- Wheels chocked
- Parking brake NOT set
- Cover car
- Battery tender attached
- * Varmint deterrents
- ** Oil change

* Some live in areas with mice and other varmints. Heavily-scented items, dryer sheets, moth balls, peppermint and traps. Whatever might be in your area, plan ahead and set whatever works for you.

- Never keep any sources of food in the garage; you're just inviting them
- Perform a check under the car and hood once in a while, no matter what
- People keep a lot of stuff in their garage. Beat the bushes, shake things up now and again, to help ensure something hasn't taken up residence

** With the Gen 3, the Oil Life Monitor decreases oil life by 1.92% a week, even if sitting. If oil life will expire during storage, consider changing oil just as going into storage. Others like to change the oil anyway. Some wait until first light, when coming out of storage. Whatever works for you.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Had no idea Ford sold one
One Member had a good idea: he bought his car, which awarded him so many Ford points; he used those to get his tender.

OP
OP
erocker

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Member had a good idea: he bought his car, which awarded him so many Ford points; he used those to get his tender.
I have no idea how these points work, but I'll definitely look into that before going out and buying one. Thanks much!

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
I have of these in each vehicle I store during the winter. I have pigtails on them so I don’t have to have the hood open. On my S550 and Corvette they are by the wipers on my others they are in the grill.

S650 Mustang Trickle charger recommendation for winter storage. IMG_4544

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
Who thinks this will even be an issue this year? Likely we won't even see these cars until 2024. A bit pre-mature

OP
OP
erocker

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who thinks this will even be an issue this year? Likely we won't even see these cars until 2024. A bit pre-mature
A lot of our cars are in production now. So, yeah I'll need one this year.

MyloTcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
My 2024 GT coupe arrived last Saturday September 2nd. Ordered it in April. It replaces a 2007 C6 Corvette which I had on a ctek tender. I bought a new ctek not knowing Ford sold one. I connected directly to the battery with the ring terminals but the supplied pigtail is too short to fit up thru the back of the hood. So I bought a ctek extension cord on Amazon and then tie wrapped everything inside the engine compartment. Now I can connect to the ctek without having to open the hood. The connector that pokes out the back of the hood has a plug to keep out the weather. When driving I also tuck that connector inside the hood just far enough so that it doesn't blow around.

S650 Mustang Trickle charger recommendation for winter storage. 20230910_173243

S650 Mustang Trickle charger recommendation for winter storage. 20230910_173321

S650 Mustang Trickle charger recommendation for winter storage. 20230910_173332

S650 Mustang Trickle charger recommendation for winter storage. 20230910_173338

S650 Mustang Trickle charger recommendation for winter storage. 20230910_172722 - Copy

Last edited:

Pyroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
https://accessories.ford.com/products/ford-performance-5-0-smart-battery-charger-maintainer

I have this one installed. CTEK is very popular. The Ford unit looks exactly like CTEK's and I believe is made by them. Works well. No hassles.

The unit has a connectorised plug with two pig tails. One has traditional clips to attach to the battery. I'm using the connector with the eyelets; it's hard-wired in.

Another popular brand is "Battery Tender", the green units.

skye tender 1.png

skye tender 2.png

skye tender 3.png
I want to hook up the quick disconnect for the trickle charger like shown on this S550.

The S650 looks really different. I'm 99% sure I hook it up to these points. Just need a little help verifying this. I don't want to F anything up.

S650 Mustang Trickle charger recommendation for winter storage. 20231103_142238

S650 Mustang Trickle charger recommendation for winter storage. 20231103_142233~2

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I'm 99% sure I hook it up to these points.
For an S650, that would appear to be correct.

Edit: I also noticed from the S650 Owner's Manual, those are the two tie points to jump start the car.

Conceptually, this is what you're striving for (from the Ford Performance tender install manual):

S650 Mustang Trickle charger recommendation for winter storage. battery tender 006

S650 Mustang Trickle charger recommendation for winter storage. battery tender 005

Once you are wired in, the battery re-connected and the tender connected, it can take some time before the tender is fully "up". For example, the initial stages of battery conditioning take close to an hour to complete (with my car). But the final stages can take as long as 24-hours. The initial one or two steps will tell you things are connected correctly and the tender is beginning its task/s. The ultimate and last stage on the FP unit can take as long as one week before it illuminates.

S650 Mustang Trickle charger recommendation for winter storage. battery tender stages

Last edited:

Pyroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
For an S650, that would appear to be correct.

Edit: I also noticed from the S650 Owner's Manual, those are the two tie points to jump start the car.

Conceptually, this is what you're striving for (from the Ford Performance tender install manual):

battery tender 006.jpg

battery tender 005.jpg

Once you are wired in, the battery re-connected and the tender connected, it can take some time before the tender is fully "up". For example, the initial stages of battery conditioning take close to an hour to complete (with my car). But the final stages can take as long as 24-hours. The initial one or two steps will tell you things are connected correctly and the tender is beginning its task/s. The ultimate and last stage on the FP unit can take as long as one week before it illuminates.

battery tender stages.jpg
Thanks Skye. You always have the helpful answers. I'm putting it away for the winter tomorrow ☹

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
After reading many reviews on almost all these chargers manufactured today it seems that the quality has gone south. Many quit working or cook the battery. Its all the brands that one would think reliable. I have an old school Craftsman one that has a maintain settting of .035ma that I have used storing cars during winter time when I lived in upstate NY. It is for only lead acid and wont work for the battery that comes in the My24 stang. Anyone has a good recomended one let us all know. I hate that these companies let the consumer be the QC at our expense.
Sponsored