• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Trial "stuff" that comes with Mustang?

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Thanks for taking the time to answer me. So if I understand correctly, there is a way to get OTA updates on home wifi, and my cell phone to interface with the car for phone calls only, and NOT for transmitting location, driving data and such?
With the car cell phone turned off there will be no communication with the outside world. On thing I am not sure about is the car has the ability to call 911 if you have a serious crash. I don't know if that works when the cell phone is off. There may be diagnostic information passed over the WiFi when you're in range but that will be no more than 300 feet at best.
Sponsored

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
With the car cell phone turned off there will be no communication with the outside world. On thing I am not sure about is the car has the ability to call 911 if you have a serious crash. I don't know if that works when the cell phone is off. There may be diagnostic information passed over the WiFi when you're in range but that will be no more than 300 feet at best.
The car has a cellular modem in it. Independent of a cell phone. That cellular modem can be turned off in settings. If it is on, it will transmit the location of the car, allow you to lock, unlock, and remote start from the app. I don't know if it will download an OTA update via cellular modem or your phone, however I am sure if you connect your car to your phones hotspot (simulated WIFI connection) it will when the finally come out. I do know it will download over a WIFI connection. Also not sure if it will make a 911 call from the car's cellular modem but will for sure of your cell phone is connected.

JAM486HP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I'm taking delivery of my GT on Tuesday and I do not want the car to be connected to my phone or the internet.

Ford dealer told me I could connect the car to FordPass once to get the $150 worth of points that comes with buying the car and I can disconnect it forever thereafter.

I am not sure if this is true. I get the impression the car will recognize my phone and pair it every time I get in the car and I don't want that.

Can anyone weigh in on this? Thanks!
Just don't pair your phone to the car,it wont do it automatically. I didn't connect mine, don't want to.
Fordpass just gives you an app permission to get data from the car, I like it. It does not pair your phone so the car will not get data from your phone. Only goes in one direction

ZBOBMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
I've had mine over a month and I still haven't figured out half the features on the screen. I know how to start it, turn on the radio and drive... that's all I need I guess
I agree Point it in the right direction and hit the right peddle. If the music is playing, that cool to.

Just have fun

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
>> With the car cell phone turned off there will be no communication with the outside world.

Absolutely untrue. Not only does every new vehicle have a TCU (telematics control unit), but there's also two different types of Wi-Fi connectivity that's unrelated to your phone.

Pairing your phone has nothing to do with sending or receiving vehicle data to/from Ford. It's strictly for being able to interact with your phone through the SYNC system, whether by using voice or the touchscreen (e.g., Android Auto or CarPlay), including things like making calls, using Google Maps or Waze, streaming music from your phone or services such as Spotify, etc. If you don't pair your phone, then you don't have all this at your disposal. But your phone has nothing to do with vehicle data being sent to Ford nor subscription data being sent to your vehicle.

Connected Services is just Ford's name for a collection of subscription services that you can buy and/or use, and you manage your subscriptions for these through the Connected Services section of Fordpass (Ford customer portal web site or Fordpass mobile app). These services include things like Ford Premium Connectivity, Ford BlueCruise, Connected Built-In Navigation, Alexa Built-in, etc.). Not all services are available for all Ford vehicles. Some include free trial periods.

You don't need to connect to WiFi in order to receive OTA updates. In fact, with my '21 F150, not one single OTA has been delivered via WiFi -- they've all come OTA through the TCU in the vehicle. I did purchase a Mongoose VIC (vehicle interface cable) and used it with a 2-day subscription to FDRS (Ford Diagnostics and Repair System - the same system the Ford techs @ the dealership use), but that was to force some module firmware updates to get my truck past a well-known OTA update that caused futures OTA updates to not be applied. Since that time, I 've recevied quite a few, am fully up to date, and all have been delivered via the TCU.

The only way you can truly "turn off" ALL data from being sent to Ford is to - literally - unplug the TCU. You'll lose things like remote lock/unlock, remote start/stop, and a few other things, though.

Last edited:

GT-24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized Grey,401A,Active Exhaust, Brembo,Auto

GT-24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized Grey,401A,Active Exhaust, Brembo,Auto
Is there a single place where there is a list of what trial options come with the Mustang?
Stuff like Sirius, Fordpass, network connectivity, Maps etc options and so forth.
I have no idea what I have gotten for free and what needs to be paid for.
Tks!

OP
OP

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
your Sirius 90 days starts the day of purchase.
So mt Sirius is expiring. I have a subscription on another car but I got an offer to extend Sirius for another 3 months on the Mustang for something like $1.95. I'm going to do that and then transfer the Mustang subscription over to my other account. Good idea or bad?

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Their 'Music and Entertainment' plan is usually $18.99/mo.

Every year my subscription is about to expire, I call them and tell them this:

"I don't drive this car much, so I don't need to pay $18.99/mo for SiriusXM. But if you want to give it to me for $6.99/mo for a year, I'll be willing to keep it. If not, shut it off."

They put you on hold, pretend to be asking a supervisor for approval, then come back in like 4 minutes to say, "Yes, I was able to get that approved".

You get it for a year for $6.99 a month (plus taxes and royalty fees).

I think the BARE MINIMUM may have gone up a buck a month, but it's a lot less than $19/mo.

And they do this for me EVERY YEAR. Have been doing it forever.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
I don't know if they still do this. I let it expire and they kept bugging me with better deals. I finally gave in when they offered 3 years for $99.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know if they still do this. I let it expire and they kept bugging me with better deals. I finally gave in when they offered 3 years for $99.
They do, but sometimes it takes a while between dropping and getting a good deal. I'm happy with paying $6.99/mo for what is normally $18.99/mo, and I don't have any service interruptions.
Sponsored