• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

So what's the deal with that camouflaged S650 Mustang driving cross country this week?

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI
Great article. Really gives you perspective on the design and development process along with some new information on the production time line.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
This is great! Really dives into the testing of a new car.
Amazing that they've built 150 driving prototypes and we've only seen a handful.

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Uh oh, so what exactly happened in September 2019 is my question? Effort rebooted or what? Great info to see, as I make my way to Detroit.

fordmustangnerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
So from what these guys are saying the headlights that we've seen may not be the real headlights?? Hmmmmmmmm

speedydave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Oxford White
Uh oh, so what exactly happened in September 2019 is my question? Effort rebooted or what? Great info to see, as I make my way to Detroit.
My guess is due to covid and supply chain issues, and cost they went from a blank sheet redesign to an evolution of the s550 platform. Hence no AWD, hybrid, etc.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So I have a question, and based on your previous posts, I think you may have some insight. There’s been a few rumors or statements floating around that the next gen mustang project was heading a certain direction, then something happened and they started over. If that is indeed the case, doesn’t it make sense that the internal designation (S650) would have changed at that same time? Everyone is calling this S650, but is it possible it’s really not? Or it wasn’t but now is?

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
So I have a question, and based on your previous posts, I think you may have some insight. There’s been a few rumors or statements floating around that the next gen mustang project was heading a certain direction, then something happened and they started over. If that is indeed the case, doesn’t it make sense that the internal designation (S650) would have changed at that same time? Everyone is calling this S650, but is it possible it’s really not? Or it wasn’t but now is?
Big time. Search amk's posts on here. Was supposed to use the Explorer's CD6 platform. Now, as I understand it, S650 is a "mix" of CD6 and S550. So, definitely not "all-new".

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Big time. Search amk's posts on here. Was supposed to use the Explorer's CD6 platform. Now, as I understand it, S650 is a "mix" of CD6 and S550. So, definitely not "all-new".
Right, I remember the platform change rumors. But can you change that much of the car and still be the same “business case” as the article above talks about? Was it always S650 or was it maybe something like S641 or something like that and they scrapped the project and moved to S650? That’s what I’m getting at.
Sponsored