• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Track Day Advice

McSmugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I'm thinking about trying to take my non-PP GT to a track day this spring. Would that be a bad idea? Do I need any upgraded parts prior to going out?

FYI I've got the stock 19" wheels and all-season tires, the standard GT brakes, and stock suspension.
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I'm thinking about trying to take my non-PP GT to a track day this spring. Would that be a bad idea? Do I need any upgraded parts prior to going out?

FYI I've got the stock 19" wheels and all-season tires, the standard GT brakes, and stock suspension.
Hint: just because you go doesn’t mean you need to participate. Maybe stop in once or twice and try hanging with the peeps to see how things are.

for the most part I suspect you would be ok for some stuff just don’t get too overly enthusiastic and use good quality fluids and above all be safe and have fun.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Drag or road course?

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
I'm assuming this will be a road course event? First-Timers - Beginners - I'd recommend taking a beginner's course if offered. Going on track without having some idea of what to expect is not wise., need to know what to expect with respects to the car and how it may handle, along with warning signs to back off and/or bring it in. Many event hosts, i.e. TrackDay, SCCA, NASA, offer HPDE (High Performance Drivers Education) courses, check out this video, http://www.nasagreatlakes.com/DriverGroups/HPDE-intro.aspx
As for prepping the car, take a look at this Tech Form for NASA HPDE.
https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/277/_NASA_HPDE_Tech_Form_2024.pdf

Spider864

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 spec 2 RTR mustang

I don’t do track stuff but one of the best investments you can do are tires and brakes. Suspension upgrade’s definitely help but Tires for sure need to be a main priority for whatever you plan to do.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I don’t do track stuff but one of the best investments you can do are tires and brakes. Suspension upgrade’s definitely help but Tires for sure need to be a main priority for whatever you plan to do.
Don't forget brake fluid and brake lines.

UncleTed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S5, VW Atlas, DH ordered
To answer your question, GREAT IDEA. Leave your ego at home, have a great day with a bunch of friendly car guys (some women too), my experience (70+ track days, HPDE driving instructor) has been positive every single time. Your first time out, you wont need upgrades, except perhaps high temp brake fluid. You are better off, IMO, learning to drive it dead stock.

Check out the info at the "hooked on driving" website, there is really good info there to set your mind at ease. Track days will become the reason you bought that hot rod!

https://www.hookedondriving.com/first-timers/

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
On the S550 forums- Ford is denying warranty work if they can find any evidence of the vehicle been on the track- regardless of whether the failure happened on the track or the street-

So I would delete this thread- and make sure you dont leave any evidence of your car ever being on the track
Sponsored