• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

First Track Day Prep and Expectations

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
Driving on track is a great way to grow as a driver and have some fun driving at speed in a safe environment. Going out for your first time can be rather intimidating but with the right preparation, it can be a relaxed and fun experience.

How to Sign Up

drivenasa.com
scca.com
chintrackdays.com
motorsportsreg.com
tracknightinamerica.com

Preparation

Wheels & Tires:
Check that your lug nuts are torqued to spec. Tires should have plenty of life with no chords showing. Tires that have been plugged to fix a leak should be avoided as the plugs can fail.

Engine: Fresh oil is recommended but not necessary. Check for any leaks that could spill onto the track. Oil and coolant can be slippery which could cause a dangerous situation for you and other drivers.

Brakes: Again, check for any leaks in the calipers or lines. The brake pads should have at least 50% material remaining. Check that your brake fluid is clean and filled to the maximum fill line on the reservoir. DOT4 fluid is recommended but don't mix DOT4 and DOT3. Bleeding the brakes prior to the event is recommended and always a safe habit to have.

Helmet: Most (if not all) track day organizers will require drivers to wear a helmet. Any SNELL rated helmet of the past 10 years will suffice. Some organizers may rent out helmets so be sure to ask if you do not have one.

General:
- Car numbers are usually required; blue painters tape works great. It's easily applied and does not damage paint.
- Increasing tire pressures can help prevent excessive wear on the sidewalls.
- Take everything out of the car that is loose. Loose items will fly around in the car due to hard braking and hard cornering. These loose items can be distracting and dangerous to you and to other drivers if they fly out the windows.
- Make sure your windows are clean and clear.
- DO NOT apply the parking brake in the paddock. This will trap excessive heat in your brake rotors and can crack and warp them. Turn the car off in gear or in park.

Things to Bring: For your first time out, stick to the essentials: basic tools, torque wrench, extra oil, tire pressure gauge, etc. Make sure to drink plenty of water and wear sunscreen as necessary. Keep track of your belongings you've taken out of your car; don't let things blow away.

What to Expect

For your first time out, you will not be setting lap records. There are no trophies in HPDE. You cannot win. Instead, focus on trying to absorb as much information from your instructor and other drivers as you can. Learn the proper lines and braking zones. Try to be smooth and confident with your inputs; speed will come naturally. Be courteous to other drivers as they may be more nervous than you. Above all else, have fun.

Extra Tips

1. Start slow - you are likely driving your daily driver. The goal is to go home in one piece.

2. Brake in a straight line - braking in the turns will likely cause the rear end of the car to slide out. This could cause you to have a bad day.

3. Check your fuel - you will get terrible mpg while on track. Don't enter the last session of the day with an empty tank.

4. Check your tire pressures - things get hot and when they get hot, pressures go up.

5. Drink lots of water!

6. Leave your ego at home - too many first-time drivers think they know what they're doing and end up creating an unsafe environment. Leave the nannies ON; they just might keep you from hitting a wall.

7. Be a leader, not a follower - don't assume the person in front of you knows what they're doing. Listen to your instructors.

8. Don't be afraid to go off track - if you carry too much speed into a turn, don't panic and brake mid-turn or turn sharper. Let the car go off into the grass or dirt and gently apply the brakes. It's not embarrassing, it's safe.

9. Let people pass - if a Miata is on your bumper the whole lap, the Miata IS FASTER THAN YOU. Let them pass and everyone will have a better day.

10. Don't use your brakes on the cooldown lap - the last lap of the session is intended to allow your car to cool down. Try to coast the whole lap.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Common requests for any forum. Copied from M6G.
Can we make this a sticky?

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT Premium 5M, Black on Black.
Driving on track is a great way to grow as a driver and have some fun driving at speed in a safe environment. Going out for your first time can be rather intimidating but with the right preparation, it can be a relaxed and fun experience.

How to Sign Up

drivenasa.com
scca.com
chintrackdays.com
motorsportsreg.com
tracknightinamerica.com

Preparation

Wheels & Tires:
Check that your lug nuts are torqued to spec. Tires should have plenty of life with no chords showing. Tires that have been plugged to fix a leak should be avoided as the plugs can fail.

Engine: Fresh oil is recommended but not necessary. Check for any leaks that could spill onto the track. Oil and coolant can be slippery which could cause a dangerous situation for you and other drivers.

Brakes: Again, check for any leaks in the calipers or lines. The brake pads should have at least 50% material remaining. Check that your brake fluid is clean and filled to the maximum fill line on the reservoir. DOT4 fluid is recommended but don't mix DOT4 and DOT3. Bleeding the brakes prior to the event is recommended and always a safe habit to have.

Helmet: Most (if not all) track day organizers will require drivers to wear a helmet. Any SNELL rated helmet of the past 10 years will suffice. Some organizers may rent out helmets so be sure to ask if you do not have one.

General:
- Car numbers are usually required; blue painters tape works great. It's easily applied and does not damage paint.
- Increasing tire pressures can help prevent excessive wear on the sidewalls.
- Take everything out of the car that is loose. Loose items will fly around in the car due to hard braking and hard cornering. These loose items can be distracting and dangerous to you and to other drivers if they fly out the windows.
- Make sure your windows are clean and clear.
- DO NOT apply the parking brake in the paddock. This will trap excessive heat in your brake rotors and can crack and warp them. Turn the car off in gear or in park.

Things to Bring: For your first time out, stick to the essentials: basic tools, torque wrench, extra oil, tire pressure gauge, etc. Make sure to drink plenty of water and wear sunscreen as necessary. Keep track of your belongings you've taken out of your car; don't let things blow away.

What to Expect

For your first time out, you will not be setting lap records. There are no trophies in HPDE. You cannot win. Instead, focus on trying to absorb as much information from your instructor and other drivers as you can. Learn the proper lines and braking zones. Try to be smooth and confident with your inputs; speed will come naturally. Be courteous to other drivers as they may be more nervous than you. Above all else, have fun.

Extra Tips

1. Start slow - you are likely driving your daily driver. The goal is to go home in one piece.

2. Brake in a straight line - braking in the turns will likely cause the rear end of the car to slide out. This could cause you to have a bad day.

3. Check your fuel - you will get terrible mpg while on track. Don't enter the last session of the day with an empty tank.

4. Check your tire pressures - things get hot and when they get hot, pressures go up.

5. Drink lots of water!

6. Leave your ego at home - too many first-time drivers think they know what they're doing and end up creating an unsafe environment. Leave the nannies ON; they just might keep you from hitting a wall.

7. Be a leader, not a follower - don't assume the person in front of you knows what they're doing. Listen to your instructors.

8. Don't be afraid to go off track - if you carry too much speed into a turn, don't panic and brake mid-turn or turn sharper. Let the car go off into the grass or dirt and gently apply the brakes. It's not embarrassing, it's safe.

9. Let people pass - if a Miata is on your bumper the whole lap, the Miata IS FASTER THAN YOU. Let them pass and everyone will have a better day.

10. Don't use your brakes on the cooldown lap - the last lap of the session is intended to allow your car to cool down. Try to coast the whole lap.
Thanks for this info. I have been an unregistered lurker here soaking up any info I could until I saw your post and had to comment.

I remember my first track day at Carlsbad Raceway in California in the early 1990's. Like you said, I thought I knew it all about drag racing. Boy, was I wrong and made a pretty big fool of myself the first couple outings. Finally, I started paying attention to the more seasoned racers and asked a lot of questions. They were more than willing to give some tips (But not their best secrets, LOL!!). After that, drag racing there was an absolute blast!

I haven't had much experience in the twisty's, but with my Dark Horse I ordered, I am really game to learn road course racing, even if it is against myself. Your information is a great foundation to start with, it is very much appreciated!

Thank again!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PART 2

So you've been to one or two events and now you're completely hooked. Performance driving has sunk its teeth in and opened up your wallet. Where do you go from here?

Like most people, the quick and tempting conclusion is to buy all the shiny go-fast parts that you see real race cars with. Don't be this guy.
The number one most effective thing you can buy to make you a better and faster driver is more practice. You don't want to be the guy with 700hp who's still getting passed by Miatas.

Track driving and especially racing is a very expensive hobby. Tires, event tickets, fuel, travel and housing, tires, brake pads and rotors, fluids, increased general maintenance, and tires all add up very quickly. (Yes, I said tires three times. These easily have the biggest impact). These costs alone will make you wish you had a second job; don't add to the stress by buying expensive aftermarket parts that you simply don't need yet.

With all that being said, there are certain aftermarket goodies that are worth buying earlier on that will save you money in the long run, make your track experience better, and help advance you as a driver more quickly.

1. More practice.
This is worth saying again. Parts won't make you faster, practice will.
Now many will argue that beginners should not be timing their laps. I agree with this but once you have the basics down, getting some data and lap feedback can help you improve even faster. There are a few things to help here.
TrackAddicts is a free app you can download on your phone that will record video and basic telemetry of your sessions. You can use this data to look back at your laps and see if you were off line, see if you braked too early, missed an apex, took a turn too slow, ect. A lot of the time, mistakes are hard to catch while you're in the car. Watching a video of your own lap will help you catch mistakes and see where to improve.
To take this even further, you can upload your lap video and get online coaching from Racers360. For a small fee, you can have a professional driver review your lap and give you personalized tips of how you can improve.

Added bonus! Now maybe you live in an area that gets snow and you're stuck without practice for months on end...Wrong! Consider a quality SIM racing wheel and pedals and find a game that has the same exact tracks you would drive in real life. This way, you can keep practicing your braking points and turns.

2. Upgrade your brakes.
You can absolutely track on the factory equipment and this equipment is likely more than sufficient for the average beginner or casual HPDE driver. However, if you know this sport is something you want to pursue and you want to be the next Lewis Hamilton, some good brake pads, brake rotors, and brake fluid should be on your Santa list. When you start picking up speed, you may notice that your pads are glazing. This is because they are not rated for that level of heat and the outer surface of the pad is actually melting. Racing pads will not only stop you faster but will also hold up to the heat better and will in turn last longer. Pads that last longer will eventually save you money.
Racing brake fluid is an arguably necessary upgrade. If your fluid boils from excessive heat, your car will not stop when you press the pedal. High temp racing fluid is designed to withstand these higher temperatures and keep your brakes working.
(PS - to increase your brake pad life even further, brake cooling is a great option)

3. Tires.
As far as performance upgrades go, tires are the best thing you can spend your money on. This does not mean you need the fastest street tires available and it certainly doesn't mean you should try slicks right away. Using crumby all-seasons are perfectly fine too. In fact, learning how to drive on crumby tires will actually teach you better car control earlier on and probably save you some money while you're still learning.
Try not to "upgrade" here. Use what you have initially to learn on and when those tires are worn out, get some lower treadwear tires and keep that cycle going. Generally, the faster a tire is, the faster it'll wear out. There is no sense buying super fast, expensive tires when you're still learning the basics.
Also, the more street-able tires will squeal like a pig at the limit which is great to teach you where the limit of grip is. High end street tires and slicks don't make noise; there is no warning when you're about to lose grip.
(If you're looking for a faster tire and you know this is your new hobby, really consider 11" wide wheels and 305mm tires. These fat cars of ours need as much tire as they can get and you'll only be wasting money buying anything less.)

4. Safety Equipment.
This is probably the least glamorous upgrade but hands-down the most important. I don't think I need to explain why safety equipment is important....we all want to go home in one piece.
Start off with a quality helmet. Then maybe a fire extinguisher. Then maybe you've realized that you're now too poor to afford any friends with all the track days you've been going to so why keep those useless back seats. Put a roll bar in there!

5. Cooling.
I'm trying to advocate things that will teach you, make your dollar go further, or keep you on track longer. Cooling is one of those things. Tracking your car will make all sorts of things on your car hot. When things get too hot, your car will put you in limp mode or worse, those things could actually break. You can avoid this by driving slower (that's boring), take a cool down lap every so often, end your sessions short, or upgrade various parts to prevent them from getting too hot in the first place. Now there is plenty of info out there on what systems should be upgraded and why so I won't get into the details. The point I want to make is, keep track of your various temperatures and when they get too hot, consider upgrades. If your temps aren't that hot yet, don't waste money on parts when you don't even have the problem. Things to keep track of: cylinder head temp, coolant temp, engine oil temp, trans oil temp, differential oil temp.
Sponsored