• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Top Speed

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
My current car, one I hope to sell in the next few weeks, is a BMW 440 convertible. Back in 2017 when I bought it BMW still had a program for US buyers to take delivery in Germany, drive around a few days or weeks, and then let them ship to your US dealer. My build date was a few weeks before a planned business trip elsewhere I Europe so I flew to Munich a few days early and toured Southern Germany.

On a trip to the Porsche Museum I found myself on a stretch of Autobahn with unlimited speed. Like a 2024 GT, it is limited to 155if you pick the right tire option and I managed to get to about 149 before ...well, before I got scared.

I can't imagine ever seeing really high speeds here in the US but maybe there are places I don't know of where its possible or even legal?. Of course we'll should obey all traffic laws,, but it's a bit sad knowing it's there and I'll never get anywhere near it. I think some stretches of Texas are 85...but Michigan drivers do that all day long where the limit is 70.
Sponsored

Fruitstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Interesting program, but also very irresponsible.
People not used to such speeds are a danger for others and themselves at the same time.
It's not only about the speed, but also about stupid other drivers who change lanes at 70 mph without checking if someone is approaching at much higher speeds.

Glad you stopped when getting scared.

Btw, I think some states in the US have laws which force manufacturers to implement specific limiters, a Challenger I had when I was in Oklahoma was set to 130 mph.

Last edited:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
That program is awesome. Bought a 22 BMW amd waited forever while it was built in Bremerhaven. didnā€™t hear about that so it must be discontinued, otherwise would have done it!

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I can't imagine ever seeing really high speeds here in the US but maybe there are places I don't know of where its possible I think some stretches of Texas are 85...but Michigan drivers do that all day long where the limit is 70.
There is this one stretch of I-96 on my way home where you can see for about a mile and a half that has a concrete barrier in the middle, nothing but green on the right side, and is just a slight downhill run. You can see the entire way. When I had the Z06, I would crest that turn and, if I saw nothing but all three lanes open, I would let the big dog eat. ~175 was about my limit before I'd need to back off and still have plenty of room to comfortably spare. It was exhilarating to say the least.

People not used to such speeds are a danger for others and themselves at the same time.
With all due respect, irresponsibility lies with the driver, not the manufacturer. I don't spend the money I do on vehicles to be nannied by the manufacturer. When possible, that crap is removed when tuning.

Do you blame the Chinese restaurants for being "irresponsble" for offering all-you-can-eat buffets because some people might choose to overeat and get fat? Might as well blame Anheiser Busch for drunk drivers or Smith and Wesson when someone chooses to use thier products "irresponsibly", too.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Legally? Not that I'm aware of.

For a time in the past, the state of Montana had no speed limits. But all 50 states have limits now.

In the state of CO, once 25 mph / 40 kmh over the posted limit, jail time can be imposed.

Some examples I can think of where one might legally find the limit of their cars on a road or road like surface include The Texas Mile, The Nevada Silver State Classic and Bonneville, UT. And there are tracks. Drivers will go to places like Daytona and elsewhere. If a NASCAR track is close-by, maybe checkout when it is open to the public.

Any of these events will have their own safety requirements, entry fees and tech inspections.

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Legally? Not that I'm aware of.

For a time in the past, the state of Montana had no speed limits. But all 50 states have limits now.

In the state of CO, once 25 mph / 40 kmh over the posted limit, jail time can be imposed.
Yeah, pretty much, if you break triple digits (real not meters) outside of a closed course itā€™s gonna be reckless.

OP
OP

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Get back in the kitchen, Mom.
Glad you stopped when getting scared.
It was more startled than scared, it's one thing to drive that fast, it's another when you are diving that fast and getting passed by people going faster.
Btw, I think some states in the US have laws which force manufacturers to implement specific limiters, a Challenger I had when I was in Oklahoma was set to 130 mph.
That's not a state law, Dodge just knows they handle poorly.

steyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT PP1 Rapid Red
I got my Challenger Scat Pack to 134mph before I backed off. It was still pulling really hard too. Top speed on those per Dodge is 182mph, and the Chargers are actually slightly faster at 186mph for the top speed.

I'd imagine a 24 GT without the governor can probably get near 190mph. It weighs 400lb less than a Scat Pack, pulls harder at the top, and is more aerodynamic in addition to having more HP.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For a time in the past, the state of Montana had no speed limits.
Technically untrue.

For two periods of time (once about 20 years and once about 5 years), the speed limit (cars only) was "reasonable and prudent" during the daytime. This left the speed limit at the discretion of the officer. People did get ticketed.

Even back then, there was a speed limit at night.

But those days have been long gone - well over 20 some years.

S650 Mustang Top Speed Screenshot_20240413_075003_DuckDuckGo

onaccountof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
- 2024 Dark Horse -
Do you blame the Chinese restaurants for being "irresponsble" for offering all-you-can-eat buffets because some people might choose to overeat and get fat? Might as well blame Anheiser Busch for drunk drivers or Smith and Wesson when someone chooses to use thier products "irresponsibly", too.
Here's a fact: If a person go's out to a bar in the US, get's drunk, then wrecks his car going home, guess who can be held "responsible" and face charges? Answer: The person that served him/her.
So there's that.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Here's a fact: If a person go's out to a bar in the US, get's drunk, then wrecks his car going home, guess who can be held "responsible" and face charges? Answer: The person that served him/her.
So there's that.
Or in some places the company that sold/created the (pre) approved fuel

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So there's that.
But not the distiller (manufacturer) of the product. A human overserved a human - again, an irresponsible act, not the fault of the product or manufacturer.

Poor analogy!

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or in some places the company that sold/created the (pre) approved fuel
Can you cite a case where the brewer or distiller was found liable for someone misusing their product?

OP
OP

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I didn't intend this to be a politically fueled dik swinging contest. I was just lamenting that it's unfortunate we can't use most of a cars potential unless we are willing to go to the expense of track time.

Not suggesting any of our poorly maintained roads should have higher limits, not suggesting anyone break any laws.
Sponsored