• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Too Many Dark Horses going abroad?

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP
It bothers me that Ford is sending these Dark Horses over there
As a person abroad, this sounds selfish and childish to say the least… what makes you think you’re entitled for a privilege based on your location.

A mustang, even a Dark Horse does not feel exclusive enough nor special to give chassis sequence a real value, No one cares when you sell it … probably better to enjoy the car instead of being jealous of people half way across the globe.
Sponsored

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
Chassis numbers are gifted at random and will not be the same as the VIN. On the line, the technician reaches into a tub of chassis plates, selects one and places it on the vehicle. IDK how many are in the tub at any time. As mentioned before, earlier cars in-general received lower chassis numbers.

Builds going overseas have their own production runs. While being built, the schedule and line will be dedicated to those overseas units only. AFAIK, they use the same tub of chassis numbers.

I love my car, but it's not exclusive in any sense. The chassis number of it has no value to me or a future owner.

Of all the discussions within the 6G board of cars for sale, very few involve the dash placard. The ones that do are very unique builds: "TT" cars, thought to have been destroyed, Track School cars, the first 37 of the first year GT350s, etc. Otherwise, no one pays attention to it, unless they were the previous owner and can provide details.

I suspect Ford will produce the DH for a few years before presenting a new trim level. Some believe it's time to bring back a Boss variant.

If Ford wanted to make the DH exclusive, they could have limited production to a fixed number of units per year while using some unique drivetrain pieces.

As others have mentioned, I'd drive and enjoy the car. If you anticipated having something few others could attain, I'd consider canceling the order and looking elsewhere. Or canceling and waiting to see what Ford creates for the Mustang in coming years.
Where and what are the Chassis numbers?
Compared to the Vin. Number?

OP
OP
MJS54

MJS54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Corvette Cpe, '18 Lexus ES 350, '23 Bronco Spt
DHL and YamenGT650, Ford had said that the DH would be a limited production...obviously this is not true. I just find it inappropriate that DH's are being sent out of country before fulfilling all domestic "special orders" like mine. Once Ford has completed that task, then they can farm out DH's to other countries...if they have the parts, etc.,. Already Ford has made contraints on the DH and the GT due to parts not being available. Ford DH's are being produced in Flatrock, Michigan (USA) and not in Australia or U.A.E.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Where and what are the Chassis numbers?
Compared to the Vin. Number?
For my purpose and for the Mustang I consider chassis number and VIN the same.

Attached is a thread, highlighting what some do overseas as part of a customs and registration inspection.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...below-the-seat-to-check-the-vin-number.47715/

Like other vendors, Ford stamped VIN numbers in different locations on the unibody. The problem becomes confirming where they are. Next to the seat. Check. Under the front fenders? Maybe. I couldn't confirm. Somewhere in the rear unibody? Maybe. Again, I could not confirm. The threads I found were speculative (no photos). And the locations can change over time, with changing generations of car.

So a bit of insight on the Mustang. Other vendors have different methods, stamp locations and schemes.

Last edited:

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
DHL and YamenGT650, Ford had said that the DH would be a limited production...obviously this is not true. I just find it inappropriate that DH's are being sent out of country before fulfilling all domestic "special orders" like mine. Once Ford has completed that task, then they can farm out DH's to other countries...if they have the parts, etc.,. Already Ford has made contraints on the DH and the GT due to parts not being available. Ford DH's are being produced in Flatrock, Michigan (USA) and not in Australia or U.A.E.
Again, what part of "Ford is a Global Company" do you not understand?

Should Porsche only sell the GT3 to Germans? I'm sure they could still sell them all.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Why are you entitled to Mustang before others? That's ridiculous. Might I remind you that Ford is a GLOBAL company. Please explain why you feel so entitled.

I just find it inappropriate that DH's are being sent out of country before fulfilling all domestic "special orders" like mine.
Quite frankly, I find your post inappropriate. My only question is: Gen Z or Millenial?

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For my purpose and for the Mustang I consider chassis number and VIN the same.
Except it's not. The DH chassis number is additive - mostly marketing. It does not replace the VIN. VIN has and always will be the VIN, the official way determine ownership.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Except it's not. The DH chassis number is additive - mostly marketing. It does not replace the VIN. VIN has and always will be the VIN, the official way determine ownership.
You are correct.

My train of thought was wrong.

I was relating to older models of vehicles, where the chassis might be stamped with one series, the engine something else.

But yea, you're right. VIN is the VIN. The VIN is what's stamped on the unibody. The chassis #, in the case of many late model Mustangs, is more marketing than anything else.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Why are you entitled to Mustang before others? That's ridiculous. Might I remind you that Ford is a GLOBAL company. Please explain why you feel so entitled.

Quite frankly, I find your post inappropriate. My only question is: Gen Z or Millenial?

I would like to add a 3rd option..... only child? (not saying that every only child ends up this way- but that there is a higher probability lol)

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
My Ford is a true Limited Edition. I probably should have just kept it in the plastic. I've destroyed it's future value. What was I thinking?
1000002840.jpg
1000002839.jpg

OP
OP
MJS54

MJS54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I’m a “baby boomer” and I’ve owned 2 Corvettes, 3 Camaros, and 5 Mustangs during my lifetime…of the 38 cars that I’ve owned during my lifetime 15 of them were Ford or Lincoln…yes, I think that Ford should consider me “entitled .”

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m a “baby boomer” and I’ve owned 2 Corvettes, 3 Camaros, and 5 Mustangs during my lifetime…of the 38 cars that I’ve owned during my lifetime 15 of them were Ford or Lincoln…yes, I think that Ford should consider me “entitled .”
I've bought or leased 15 new Ford / Lincoln / Mercury vehicles in just the last 18 years alone. Same dealership, all but 2 from the same salesman except for the last one - he retired so I bought from his son. No idea what my total count is over my 40+ years of driving/owning - at least 3x that, if not more.

I'm not entitled, nor are you.

With all due respect: Get over yourself.

OP
OP
MJS54

MJS54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
roadpilot, ...looks like Ford took good care of you. So when did you place your DH order and when was it delivered?

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
roadpilot, ...looks like Ford took good care of you. So when did you place your DH order and when was it delivered?
I did all the work finding a dealer ordered DH when it was literally rolling down the assembly line @ FRAP. Took delivery 5 days later. I've detailed my very short adventure several times on these forums.

For the record, I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk to you, but I think your expectations are WAY out of line.
Sponsored