• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Too Many Dark Horses going abroad?

MJS54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Corvette Cpe, '18 Lexus ES 350, '23 Bronco Spt
I remember seeing a video a while back showing some Australian Race Drivers checking out the new Dark Horse. Just wondering how many "Right-Hand Drive" Dark Horses does Ford plan on delivering to them...and what about their chasis numbers? Do their numbers get mixed in with the ones in the U.S.? Or do they have their own allotment of Dark Horses? It bothers me that Ford is sending these Dark Horses over there (maybe I'm wrong) before fulfilling the domestic (U.S.) orders first..and if they include those Dark Horses in the Chasis numbering system (or for that matter, the ones that go to Europe, MIddle East, etc.), then my U.S. DH exclusivity becomes a higher chaisis number and also "diluted" and less siginificat.
Ordered mine through dealer allocation 1 Sep23, and still "no build date." Anybody have some answers?

Check out this article:
https://www.drive.com.au/news/2024-ford-mustang-price-and-specs/
Sponsored

Sf22giants

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
I don't have answers for you but I do have advice. If you want something "exclusive" then a Mustang isn't going to be it. All versions of the Mustang are built to be driven and enjoyed. It's the reason the Mustang/automotive community is what it is. I was stopped at a light the other day and a 15-17 Mustang was going the other direction. He slowed down, rolled his window, and we had a brief moment to acknowledge each other before he took off. Those types of interactions, and all others, are why we drive these cars.

Whatever chassis number you get and whatever the Kangaroo's get... who cares man. Just enjoy the car (when you eventually get it) and don't stress about what other people have.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
There are a few exclusive Mustangs

2015 GT350R
The carbon fiber heritage edition cars
Of course all the early model Boss 429… Shelby’s exc

Will be interesting to see what final production numbers are on the Dark Horse … I believe I have seen chassis numbers all ready into the mid 3000s which leads me to believe it could be around 5k to 6k per year …

I would suggest that if you want a Dark Horse that is more exclusive… a fullly optioned carbon fiber wheel painted stripe car would most likely be a pretty rare vehicle…

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
If they go off the last 4 digits of the vin. R1053 is due to be built next month to come to the UK.

The first half of our vins are different so it's possible that two R1053's will exist, although the TP8E (instead of 6P8R) doesnt appear on the vista listing only the E

Edit - Apparently they don't do this they just pick a number at random which sucks so ignore this post

Last edited:

NegativeMultiplier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
The first half of our vins are different so it's possible that two R1053's will exist, although the TP8E (instead of 6P8R) doesnt appear on the vista listing only the E
They don't go by the last 4 of the VIN. I could explain how the VIN sequencing works on Mustangs, which is why they wouldn't (really the information is out there, you just need to compile it), but that would be a huge post. It seems like Ford is numbering the DHs in a semi-sequential manner, so I'd wager seeing a duplicate R1053 is unlikely.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Ford is a global company, I mean my wife's new Lincoln was built in China. They have many regions to keep happy.

Manufacturer:
1FA = USA, Ford, Passenger Car
3FM = Mexico, Ford, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle
Safety:
6 = Seat Belts & Front/Side Air Bags
T = Seat Belts & Front/Knee Air Bags
Body:
K1R = Mach E Select RWD
K1S = Mach E Select AWD
K2R = Mach E CA/Route1 RWD
K3R = Mach E Premium RWD
K3S = Mach E Premium AWD
K4S = Mach E GT AWD
P8C = Fastback GT
P8F = Convertible GT
P8R = Fastback Dark Horse
P8T = Fastback
P8U = Convertible
Engine:
M = Electric Std
7 = Electric Ext
S = Electric Std + 2nd sm drive
U = Electric Ext + 2nd sm drive
X = Electric Ext + 2nd lg drive
E = Electric Ext + limited 2nd lg drive
H = 2.3L 315hp 4cyl
F = 5.0L 460hp V8 (GT)
F = 5.0L 500hp V8 (Dark Horse)
Year: R = 2024
Assembler:
5 = AAI: Flat Rock, Michigan
M = Cuautitan Mexico
Unit Number: 2024 Mustangs start at 100001
Screenshot_20240426-213608_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are a few more permutations to the vin list when sold in UK (maybe also europe)
Digit 3 -
T - Coupe (US 6)
R - Convertible (US T)

Next digits -
P8P - Convertible GT (P8F)
P8N - Coupe GT (P8C)
P8E - Coupe Dark horse (P8R)

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
... then my U.S. DH exclusivity becomes a higher chaisis number and also "diluted" and less siginificat.
Chassis numbers are gifted at random and will not be the same as the VIN. On the line, the technician reaches into a tub of chassis plates, selects one and places it on the vehicle. IDK how many are in the tub at any time. As mentioned before, earlier cars in-general received lower chassis numbers.

Builds going overseas have their own production runs. While being built, the schedule and line will be dedicated to those overseas units only. AFAIK, they use the same tub of chassis numbers.

I love my car, but it's not exclusive in any sense. The chassis number of it has no value to me or a future owner.

Of all the discussions within the 6G board of cars for sale, very few involve the dash placard. The ones that do are very unique builds: "TT" cars, thought to have been destroyed, Track School cars, the first 37 of the first year GT350s, etc. Otherwise, no one pays attention to it, unless they were the previous owner and can provide details.

I suspect Ford will produce the DH for a few years before presenting a new trim level. Some believe it's time to bring back a Boss variant.

If Ford wanted to make the DH exclusive, they could have limited production to a fixed number of units per year while using some unique drivetrain pieces.

As others have mentioned, I'd drive and enjoy the car. If you anticipated having something few others could attain, I'd consider canceling the order and looking elsewhere. Or canceling and waiting to see what Ford creates for the Mustang in coming years.

Last edited:

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
If it was a limited edition package,, the badge would say "××××/2500". This topic comes up monthly on watch forums. Its obviously "limited availability" at the moment (which some cases can simply mean " can't seem to get them scheduled and built for some reason") and will likely be a " limited production run" of a few years until the next performance-oriented package comes out. The number going outside the US was likely always part of the plan.
20240427_092706.jpg

Sofa King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost, Vapor Blue, HPP
Though they call the DH "limited production"... the limit is pretty high... if you want exclusive, sorry to say, you would need to spend more money (think GTD money).

DAS5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
I remember seeing a video a while back showing some Australian Race Drivers checking out the new Dark Horse. Just wondering how many "Right-Hand Drive" Dark Horses does Ford plan on delivering to them...and what about their chasis numbers? Do their numbers get mixed in with the ones in the U.S.? Or do they have their own allotment of Dark Horses? It bothers me that Ford is sending these Dark Horses over there (maybe I'm wrong) before fulfilling the domestic (U.S.) orders first..and if they include those Dark Horses in the Chasis numbering system (or for that matter, the ones that go to Europe, MIddle East, etc.), then my U.S. DH exclusivity becomes a higher chaisis number and also "diluted" and less siginificat.
Ordered mine through dealer allocation 1 Sep23, and still "no build date." Anybody have some answers?

Check out this article:

DAS5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
I think you need to find another dealer. I ordered my DH build in Nov '23 and received it Jan '24. (I paid $1,500 over MSRP).

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Though they call the DH "limited production"... the limit is pretty high... if you want exclusive, sorry to say, you would need to spend more money (think GTD money).
It's limited availability not production, there is a difference. The 60th aniv is truly limited edition where they're only making 1965 of them.

DHL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ghia 5.4

Check out this article:

DHL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ghia 5.4
Hi from Australia. Ford Relies upon world wide sales, not just within the USA. So, I’m a little confused as to your concern being ‘too many’. Surely, any sale abroad is only a benefit for your industry? Only 1000 Dark Horses were allocated to Australia, and they are no longer available here. However, the Australian GT is imported with the performance pack as standard, and I am more than happy with that, as well as being a member of the Mustang community regardless of whom owns which particular version.
Sponsored