• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Thoughts and Expecations on Mustang S650 - Technology and Performance

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
Hello Stang Community,

firstly if this type of thread was announced before, apologies for the doubly entry.

Most threads in this forum contentrates on interior and exterior design, but we never really spoke or debated about the technological part of the car. I know we have talked a lot about BHP, but that was about it.

That is why I would like to ask in the round what your expectations are of the new Stang in terms of:

- Agility
- Responsiveness
- Drivability
- Acceleration
- 0-60 or quarter mile
- Technical/Safety features
- etc.

As we all know so far is that the S650 comes with a dual air intake with a new throttle body. Also we will get to see an advanced MagneRide suspension system which also detects potholes. I am not sure if it also has person recognition that is being shown on the screen. I think I have read it somehwere.

We also do know from an interview with a Ford representative, that a very directly designed, particularly stiff and low-friction steering system offers immediate feedback, while the shorter steering ratio has a further positive effect on cornering dynamics. This can also result in better acceleration on straight line speed.

For Europe it remains unknown whether we will eventually get the blind spot detection system as well as sequential indicators.
Sponsored

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
I’m expecting 11.7s stock.. 10.7s basic mods, mid 9s on a whipple.

2-3 tenths quicker than the outgoing models, base GT mod for mod.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Hello Stang Community,

firstly if this type of thread was announced before, apologies for the doubly entry.

Most threads in this forum contentrates on interior and exterior design, but we never really spoke or debated about the technological part of the car. I know we have talked a lot about BHP, but that was about it.

That is why I would like to ask in the round what your expectations are of the new Stang in terms of:

- Agility
- Responsiveness
- Drivability
- Acceleration
- 0-60 or quarter mile
- etc.

As we all know so far is that the S650 comes with a dual air intake with a new throttle body. Also we will get to see an advanced MagneRide suspension system which also detects potholes. I am not sure if it also has person recognition that is being shown on the screen. I think I have read it somehwere.

We also do know from an interview with a Ford representative, that a very directly designed, particularly stiff and low-friction steering system offers immediate feedback, while the shorter steering ratio has a further positive effect on cornering dynamics. This can also result in better acceleration on straight line speed.

For Europe it remains unknown whether we will eventually get the blind spot detection system as well as sequential indicators.
I'm guessing mild but noticable improvements all around. The takeaway from a lot of auto journalists will probably be along the lines of "The s650 builds upon and perfects what the s550 started".

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Hopefully they put some focus on the wheel hop issues and engineered out that stupid BBQ tick from the gen 3 coyote

DarkHorsepower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse(Pending)
My biggest concern, coming from 6th Gen Camaros, is the handling. I really hope that they spent some extra time and effort on that, because the S550, even with PP1 was unacceptable.

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14' Honda Civic EX; 14' Honda VFR800 DLX
Honestly, I'm thinking this is going to be very much like the SN95/New Edge Mustang...as in it's going to an evolution more than anything. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, either...in fact as long as the car stays around and sees some constant updates and tweaks to refine it...I welcome it! The Mach 1 is a great example of this. Yes it may be a parts bin car (with some bespoke exterior bits), but WOW, what a great machine.

I think the car will drive/perform very close to what we have now...better of course, but I don't think it will be by leaps and bounds. The key, IMHO, will be to minimize the weight gain. I expect the car to gain some heft (especially in the higher trims) but fingers crossed it'll be under 100 lbs. I really hope the car retains it's character and charm as well. The less diluted and numb, the better.

TLDR; a better car dynamically than the S550 in every area (trim to trim), but not by heaps.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Hello Stang Community,

- Agility
- Responsiveness
- Drivability
- Acceleration
- 0-60 or quarter mile
- etc.

We do get sequential indicators but not the ones US cars will have... There was a video a couple of months ago that showed the sequential indicators on EU cars. The bottom part (bottom quarter maybe) will be sequential... It looks weird and I would replace them... Better than what we have today but still not that good looking... We do get the red taillights though...

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I am looking for a sub 3.8 to 60 for the gt 10A. Maybe 3.7-3.6
Then keep looking :crazy:

2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 0-60 mph 4.4
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premium (Handling Pack) 0-60 mph 4.3

Those are the current numbers. Maybe someone somewhere in the world did get better numbers but on average 4.3 seconds is the time to beat. We'll not see anything close to 3.6 seconds with the S650 as we know it today. Without AWD I doubt that we'll see anything below 4 seconds, facelift included.

I think we might get 4.1 seconds. That sounds reasonable. There are much better 0-60 options than the Mustang...

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Nahh… slap a et street SS on there.. she’ll nail high 3s stock.

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250

Those are the current numbers. Maybe someone somewhere in the world did get better numbers but on average 4.3 seconds is the time to beat. We'll not see anything close to 3.6 seconds with the S650 as we know it today. Without AWD I doubt that we'll see anything below 4 seconds, facelift included.

I think we might get 4.1 seconds. That sounds reasonable. There are much better 0-60 options than the Mustang...
That is with the manual. Motortrend tested a 3.8 out of a 18' gt pp with the 10 auto

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer

I believe you're quoting the times for the manual. When the 10 speed gets first came out, they were marketed as being capable of a sub 4 second 0-60 time. I believe a few magazines were able to replicate this. I'm predicting around a 3.8.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
That is with the manual. Motortrend tested a 3.8 out of a 18' gt pp with the 10 auto
Maybe but just do some research yourself... There aren't any reliable videos out there showing anything but >4 seconds... The S550 has what, 420hp (wheel)?! There is simply no physical way it can compete with an AWD 480hp+ car like the M3 and that one does <4 seconds.

There are so many youtubers out there testing 0-60 in real life conditions and the absolutely vast majority can't get sub 4 seconds without mods. Besides, these numbers are in line with what a RWD ~420hp car can do.

Measuring 0-100 km/h without that stupid one-foot roll-out and without a prepped surface will result in ~4.3 seconds (4.5 for the MT). 0-60 should therefore be somewhat 4.1 seconds.
3.8 is not a number that was confirmed by anyone other than 'Motortrend' and should therefore be considered as a statistic 'error'. Maybe they had a pre selected Coyote? Maybe the track was downhill? Maybe they measured it wrong? Maybe none of the above but since noone can reproduce these numbers even close I wouldn't consider them legit.

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Maybe but just do some research yourself... There aren't any reliable videos out there showing anything but >4 seconds... The S550 has what, 420hp (wheel)?! There is simply no physical way it can compete with an AWD 480hp+ car like the M3 and that one does <4 seconds.

There are so many youtubers out there testing 0-60 in real life conditions and the absolutely vast majority can't get sub 4 seconds without mods. Besides, these numbers are in line with what a RWD ~420hp car can do.

Measuring 0-100 km/h without that stupid one-foot roll-out and without a prepped surface will result in ~4.3 seconds (4.5 for the MT). 0-60 should therefore be somewhat 4.1 seconds.
3.8 is not a number that was confirmed by anyone other than 'Motortrend' and should therefore be considered as a statistic 'error'. Maybe they had a pre selected Coyote? Maybe the track was downhill? Maybe they measured it wrong? Maybe none of the above but since noone can reproduce these numbers even close I wouldn't consider them legit.
I stand of error, how about outlier. And remember, they run multiple times. Car and driver also recorded a 3.9. I understand where you are coming from about the real world. But remember, the real world can very, and mag reviews are still in the real world.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I believe you're quoting the times for the manual. When the 10 speed gets first came out, they were marketed as being capable of a sub 4 second 0-60 time. I believe a few magazines were able to replicate this. I'm predicting around a 3.8.
'Marketed as...' the S550 was marketed with 460hp and on the dyno they do 410-420 on average (wheel, I don't know why anyone would measure anything else)... Being 'capable of sub 4 seconds' is also a very vague phrase... Marketing at is finest 😉
The Tesla Plaid does sub 2 seconds*....

*in perfect mint conditions that aren't in line with any reasonable way of measuring...
Sponsored