• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Thoughts and Expecations on Mustang S650 - Technology and Performance

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I stand of error, how about outlier. And remember, they run multiple times. Car and driver also recorded a 3.9. I understand where you are coming from about the real world. But remember, the real world can very, and mag reviews are still in the real world.
Outlier is a better word. I'm not a native so sometimes I'm struggling to find a more suitable word ;)

And I would love the S650 to do sub 4 seconds reliably. I just doubt we'll see these numbers. I'll gladly admit that I'm wrong if the numbers come in.
Sponsored

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
[
'Marketed as...' the S550 was marketed with 460hp and on the dyno they do 410-420 on average (wheel, I don't know why anyone would measure anything else)...
Just be clear, I'm assuming you know that all US made cars are HP rated at the crank

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
[

Just be clear, I'm assuming you know that all US made cars are HP rated at the crank
Yes, it makes them seem more powerful. I just saw a Raptor R do a dyno and had 580 at the wheels compared to 700 at the crank. If it was rated at the wheels, your honda civic would have 40 less horsepower. That gave me an idea. What if ford rated the mustang at the wheels from 2025 and on. it would feel way faster that 420 hp. That would be good for marketing if everyone forgot about 486 hp.

silver beauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Mustang Mach 1
Hello Stang Community,

firstly if this type of thread was announced before, apologies for the doubly entry.

Most threads in this forum contentrates on interior and exterior design, but we never really spoke or debated about the technological part of the car. I know we have talked a lot about BHP, but that was about it.

That is why I would like to ask in the round what your expectations are of the new Stang in terms of:

- Agility
- Responsiveness
- Drivability
- Acceleration
- 0-60 or quarter mile
- Technical/Safety features
- etc.

As we all know so far is that the S650 comes with a dual air intake with a new throttle body. Also we will get to see an advanced MagneRide suspension system which also detects potholes. I am not sure if it also has person recognition that is being shown on the screen. I think I have read it somehwere.

We also do know from an interview with a Ford representative, that a very directly designed, particularly stiff and low-friction steering system offers immediate feedback, while the shorter steering ratio has a further positive effect on cornering dynamics. This can also result in better acceleration on straight line speed.

For Europe it remains unknown whether we will eventually get the blind spot detection system as well as sequential indicators.
As far as performance, drive-ability and safety I'm sure it will be the best ever but as far as styling goes, that will be the hard part. I just cannot get myself to like the way this car looks. My biggest problem is that I own a classic Mustang......

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 GT vert A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 6MT
My biggest concern, coming from 6th Gen Camaros, is the handling. I really hope that they spent some extra time and effort on that, because the S550, even with PP1 was unacceptable.
Iā€™m not sure what your frame of reference might be, but to describe S550 handling as ā€œunacceptableā€œ seems to me to sail right past the simple exaggeration zone directly into ridiculousness. I have two and I push ā€˜em pretty hard on the street, but never once have I felt the need to increase my insurance coverage before going for a ride.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Iā€™m not sure what your frame of reference might be, but to describe S550 handling as ā€œunacceptableā€œ seems to me to sail right past the simple exaggeration zone directly into ridiculousness. I have two and I push ā€˜em pretty hard on the street, but never once have I felt the need to increase my insurance coverage before going for a ride.
go drive a 1le Camaro and you'll understand.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This.
I stand by my statement.
You are certainly welcome to stand by it, but by definition itā€™s just not correct. The Mustangā€™s handling is not ā€œunacceptableā€œ to the vast majority of itā€™s buyers. In fact, when used for the purpose each individual model is designed for itā€˜s perfectly acceptable, even good.

Look, words matter, as do lack of words. You need to qualify what youā€™re saying. Had you said itā€™s unacceptable for some specific purpose, say racing for example, no problem. Or if you had even said itā€™s unacceptable to you, thatā€™s OK too. But you just said ā€œunacceptableā€œ, which implies itā€™s not acceptable in a general sense. Clearly it is not and an awful lot of buyers and drivers think otherwise.

DarkHorsepower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse(Pending)
You are certainly welcome to stand by it, but by definition itā€™s just not correct. The Mustangā€™s handling is not ā€œunacceptableā€œ to the vast majority of itā€™s buyers. In fact, when used for the purpose each individual model is designed for itā€˜s perfectly acceptable, even good.

Look, words matter, as do lack of words. You need to qualify what youā€™re saying. Had you said itā€™s unacceptable for some specific purpose, say racing for example, no problem. Or if you had even said itā€™s unacceptable to you, thatā€™s OK too. But you just said ā€œunacceptableā€œ, which implies itā€™s not acceptable in a general sense. Clearly it is not and an awful lot of buyers and drivers think otherwise.
Cool.

The thing is, I do not care about your opinion.
And, Id suggest that you care less about others.
Have a great day.

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14' Honda Civic EX; 14' Honda VFR800 DLX
Yeah, I'm going to have to step in the ring here...

Whoever doesn't think the Mustang performs in the handling department just hasn't driven the rights ones. Full stop, end of story. You guys are confusing chassis/handling with MONEY. Do the SS 1LE and ZL1 (with or without 1LE) provide the best BANG/BUCK out there from any brand? Hell yeah, they do. If you want accessible performance without breaking the bank, you can't beat them. They are fantastic drivers cars. HOWEVER, they aren't better than the best Mustangs. They are simply CHEAPER.

If you think Mustangs handle poorly, go drive a GT350/GT350R, M1 HP or GT500 CFTP...

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I'm going to have to step in the ring here...

Whoever doesn't think the Mustang performs in the handling department just hasn't driven the rights ones. Full stop, end of story. You guys are confusing chassis/handling with MONEY. Do the SS 1LE and ZL1 (with or without 1LE) provide the best BANG/BUCK out there from any brand? Hell yeah, they do. If you want accessible performance without breaking the bank, you can't beat them. They are fantastic drivers cars. HOWEVER, they aren't better than the best Mustangs. They are simply CHEAPER.

If you think Mustangs handle poorly, go drive a GT350/GT350R, M1 HP or GT500 CFTP...
Katastrophe, youā€™ll get nowhere trying to inject logic into this.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem

I think your over valuing your opinion to be honest and it's based on no other point of reference. Even the pp2 is lack luster compared to the Camaro. The mag ride is better , the steering, the body roll which is basically non existent in a 1le. Compare streets of willow times and you'll see the 1le is a whole different class of handling. Heck the 1le even out performs the gt350 for less money and less power.
I've driven Mach 1 handling packs and that's a 66k msrp (fully loaded) a 2ss 1le is 53k and yes it out performs the Mach. I've done direct comparisons and it's clear which has the better chassis. I'm not brand loyal whatsoever and I'll never be. But the fact is the Camaro is a better track and handling weapon hands down. The mag ride in the mustangs just gets bouncier where the Camaro obsorbs the bumps. It has a lower seating position. It installs better confidence for the driver. All of this including the chassis makes lower lap times. Really go drive them side by side and you'll see what everyone is talking about. The gt500 is 80k+. If it dosnt out handle a 50k Camaro then there is something wrong. I'm not saying the mustang in any form is bad. It's come a long way. But it's premises is a GT car. In comparison it's not the Camaro is only cheaper. No. It's actually better in the handling department, a lot better. Anyone that likes both cars has hoped the mustang would get the Camaros handling capabilities. Yes it's really that good. But like I said until you drive both side by side it's just a keyboard comparison and I'll tell you you'll change your mind almost immediately.
Sponsored

Last edited: