• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

This is how buttons work..

stevyirwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1000hp Fiat Panda
Y'all are goofin rn. Too much caffeine or TikTok and it shows. 🤣

Not saying they're not cutting corners here- toggles would be great.

But it is obviously one large button so that you can still get some feedback when pressing it. Notice how it doesn't just bow in the middle; the whole thing depresses evenly. Then depending on where your finger was when depressed it will select whatever you were touching.

The silver trim is probably just a bit of flourish and a reference to the S550 silver toggles.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
more like 9 months if the wishful thinking is correct. The problem is the molds are already done and the likelihood of them revisiting it is slim to none. They'll simply adopt the Apple TM "you're holding it wrong" defense.

This is Ford, they have shown over and over and over again, they don't admit their mistakes and they don't fix things except under duress. It's a shame they don't have a Steve Jobs who would throw the teams out on their ass and abuse them mercilessly till they got it right.
Well, 9 months WOULD be nice, but realistically, who knows. We'll see. For the other...

But it is obviously one large button so that you can still get some feedback when pressing it. Notice how it doesn't just bow in the middle; the whole thing depresses evenly. Then depending on where your finger was when depressed it will select whatever you were touching.

The silver trim is probably just a bit of flourish and a reference to the S550 silver toggles.
...What he said is basically what I wanted to voice, to better wording. Devil's advocate, it may be on a big mechanism to simulate a physical button, akin to a mechanical keyboard switch.

Mind, in this I'm not saying I'd NOT prefer actual separate, physical buttons—or even better toggles, but this doesn't look like just cheap flimsy plastic bowing under a touch to me.

mustangbilly76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang PP EcoBoost Premium MT82
geezus, where'd they find the moron who failed materials engineering who didn't bother to support the middle of a long run of weak-ass plastic? Seriously Ford, where are you finding such INCOMPETENT "engineers" and how is it NOBODY noticed the obvious panel flex and immediately required proper bracing?

If you're supposed to 'brush' the white part and people naturally jab the icon, then YOU FAILED HUMAN FACTORS!!!! Where is the visual feedback that you've changed the state of the button? Does it change luminosity, or color? Either at the icon or the pad?

Did they stop teaching human-factors in engineering because everything is a god-damn touch-screen?
Do you have access to the CAD files, BOM, and the SOLIDWORKS simulations? By no means am I supporting the design decisions made by Ford, which looks to be a novel cost cutting solution, but you are making some wild accusations for a product that hasn't even been released to the public.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
Wait till someone is driving, hits a bump while reaching and their finger moved 1/4in and hits the 4ways lol

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT 2022
Maybe there is an aftermarket kit for that?

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Do you have access to the CAD files, BOM, and the SOLIDWORKS simulations? By no means am I supporting the design decisions made by Ford, which looks to be a novel cost cutting solution, but you are making some wild accusations for a product that hasn't even been released to the public.
"Wild accusations" are shoguns' specialty. He is the resident "grouch". Honestly, I don't know why the dude still hangs out here. He clearly hates the car, which is totally fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But, what more is there left for him here? Is he just going to shit on people that buy the car in a year's time? Continue bitching and moaning about X, Y, Z? Everyone is free to join any forum they want, but what's the point if you're just going to continue spewing venom? He should honestly just move on to the next car to hate on.

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i '09
geezus, where'd they find the moron who failed materials engineering who didn't bother to support the middle of a long run of weak-ass plastic? Seriously Ford, where are you finding such INCOMPETENT "engineers" and how is it NOBODY noticed the obvious panel flex and immediately required proper bracing?

If you're supposed to 'brush' the white part and people naturally jab the icon, then YOU FAILED HUMAN FACTORS!!!! Where is the visual feedback that you've changed the state of the button? Does it change luminosity, or color? Either at the icon or the pad?

Did they stop teaching human-factors in engineering because everything is a god-damn touch-screen?
Fuck now I have to agree with this guy. World's coming to an end.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Is he just going to shit on people that buy the car in a year's time?
hardly. But I can make a special favor just for you, if it pleases.
Continue bitching and moaning about X, Y, Z?
not likely. This is my window of opportunity to express "constructive" (ha) criticism and highlight fixable mistakes. Plus I do it for the LULZ and the likes. :) Come on, I need social affirmation too!

I'm a grouch because my day job is kicking the asses of dumb programmers who make an unending stream of stupid. And as a result they make MY life (operations) painful.

But if it means that much to you let it be known that "The S650 is the GREATEST, MOLD-BREAKING Mustang of all time and I'm not worthy to own one."

Happy?

PS. I never liked the taste of brown icing.

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Coupe- Magnetic
You can save your criticism for a retail ready car. I sat in the red GT convertible on the stage at Stampede, it’s mostly a mock-up on the inside beside primary driver controls. You’re not seeing a final product in that GIF and to expect a pre-production prototype for auto show display to be that way is pretty stupid.

JerryCarguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT premium 2021 cally

You nailed it! My bet is the Materials Engineer was left out of the design. And, even the vendor who supplies that component should have engineers on staff whose job it is to test, test, and more testing to not only retain their reputation with Ford, but also to keep their business with Ford.

I saw it back in the late 90s, before I retired, the computer staff were taking over the product, the engineers were being ignored.

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Expedition and 14' Infiniti Q50s
Looks to me like it is one big button that pushes in (for our sense of feeling, because we love to push buttons) and the silver part is the haptic that is telling the computer which button we pushed. If you watch closely the whole group of buttons moves in evenly top, bottom, and sides. I dont see it as flex at all.
Sponsored