• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Things are VERY Different now...

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I only have around 400 miles on mine but zero problems. The biggest issue for me is there was no physical manual to learn how to use Sync and all its myriad options, but I blame most of the problem on me being old and just not that techy any longer. I owned plenty of of the 1960's-80's cars when new and whether they were US or of foreign manufacture, they were all more problematic than any car built after 2000 except for a 2013 BMW X6 V8 or a 2021 MB GLC 63S. Both of those modern cars left me stranded and won't buy another.
You couldn’t give me a BMW V8 for free.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
Cars are far more reliable now than they were back then. Your average car in the 60s only lasted about 5-6 years on average from the time it was brand new to the time it was scrapped in a junkyard.

As for the price, when you factor in inflation, you actually get a lot more dollar for dollar these days. A six cylinder base mustang in the 60s was about 27k adjusted for inflation. A base ecoboost is about 32. For five grand more, you get much better quality, a far better interior, a better exterior imo, obviously a much better engine, much better handling, better brakes, better reliability, better safety, better efficiency, better tech obviously, a longer warranty, just an all around better car in every way for not much more money.

Adjusting for inflation, most older cars were shit for the money they costed. For instance, the excellent maverick hybrid adjusted for inflation is cheaper than those 90s rangers, and better in every way. It's even cheaper than the model t adjusting for inflation.

Like most old things, they actually weren't very good, we just look at the past through rose tinted glasses when we shouldn't.
Your inflation figures are way off. $1.00 from 1966 would be worth $9.47 today. That would bring the cost of my 1966 V8 Mustang (200 HP) up to $23,675.00. That is a far cry from the expected ~$59,480.00 for the Mustang (486 HP) I have ordered. Granted, there are a LOT more features and tech in the new Mustang. Yet, my original concern of overall quality remains.

Kkoehster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 M7G vert, 2020 ExplorerST
I have had 6 Mustangs in the past, almost 1 of each generation, and all have been used. So when Ford announced the new 7G one, I researched it as I have before, but this time I decided not to wait and as soon as I could ordered My Car, GT premium convertible loaded. It has been the best thing I've done, right down to it getting delivered on my B-day... I saw the posting about Ford production numbers and if you look at those and compare to issues, the problems seem pretty low.
Enjoy the process...

Germansheperd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hellcat Jailbreak
The last car (and only car) I have ordered from Ford was a 1966 Mustang, 289, w/4-speed manual. Cost about $2,500.00. I can't remember how long the build took, but the car was wonderful. The only mod I put on it was an Abarth (quad tip) exhaust system. It sounded sweet.
As you can see in my signature, I have ordered a "loaded" GT. However, I am beginning to get a bit concerned at all the problem articles I am seeing in this forum with these vehicles. Yes, I know the technology has become way more complex then so has the price!
This post makes me LOL coming from someone who drives a Subaru.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ourisman didn't have a car on the lot for you to just buy at a healthy discount?
Nope.
Mostly base, 10spd.
They have more now. In fact they have one with ALL my requests except for exterior color and seat color. My wife said "absolutely NO" on the red seats.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
Yet, my original concern of overall quality remains.
when has Ford and Quality ever been used in the same sentance except as a punchline from marketing? Or an insincere aspirational goal?

That said the S550+ seem to do a decent job of holding up. At least for a 10 year horizon. Probably not for 20. Then again you didn't get the memo? Cars are disposable. After 15 years you definitely have no business not buying new. Otherwise you must be a commie, and anti-UAW, and anti-american.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
when has Ford and Quality ever been used in the same sentance except as a punchline from marketing? Or an insincere aspirational goal?

That said the S550+ seem to do a decent job of holding up. At least for a 10 year horizon. Probably not for 20. Then again you didn't get the memo? Cars are disposable. After 15 years you definitely have no business not buying new. Otherwise you must be a commie, and anti-UAW, and anti-american.
You apparently don't get the picture. I will be 77 in March. As you wrote, a car lasting 10 years would be pretty good. I probably won't be driving when I'm 87.

Germansheperd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hellcat Jailbreak
Nice!

Why?
The words Subaru and reliability never went together after the early 2000’s. The head gasket bearing issues have really been a black eye- FYI I worked at a Subaru dealer for a time.
As far as reliability a Mustang is far and away a better car- Yes worked for a Ford dealer as well.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The words Subaru and reliability never went together after the early 2000’s. The head gasket bearing issues have really been a black eye- FYI I worked at a Subaru dealer for a time.
As far as reliability a Mustang is far and away a better car- Yes worked for a Ford dealer as well.
Interesting.
My 2018 WRX (6-speed) was bought new. I swapped the standard exhaust out for a GrimmSpeed Catback exhaust. It has 31K miles on it. All I have had done to it was the usual maintenance, replace the battery (under warranty), and new tires. It still runs like a top.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT vert A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 6MT
You apparently don't get the picture. I will be 77 in March. As you wrote, a car lasting 10 years would be pretty good. I probably won't be driving when I'm 87.
Not to worry.

I‘ll swing by and pick you up in my Mustang. I’ll only be 85! :crackup:

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your inflation figures are way off. $1.00 from 1966 would be worth $9.47 today. That would bring the cost of my 1966 V8 Mustang (200 HP) up to $23,675.00. That is a far cry from the expected ~$59,480.00 for the Mustang (486 HP) I have ordered. Granted, there are a LOT more features and tech in the new Mustang. Yet, my original concern of overall quality remains.
So let's just engage in some interesting comparisons here, maybe not apples to apples, but the most fair comparison in terms of dollar to dollar relative to horsepower. That would be a modern Ecoboost to a 1966 Shelby gt350, fair how? Because even this top dog old school mustang can't equal the performance of the current Ecoboost, let alone the v8s, it only made 306 hp, but in terms of high performance, its the closest we can get to the level of performance the modern mustang offers. We can't make the argument that the Shelby branding justified the price tag, this was the 60s when Shelby was relatively unknown and just starting out, so branding prestige wasn't really a factor in this original cars performance.

That Shelby that is significantly worse than a modern mustang in every way, had a starting price of $4,547 in 1966, adjusting for inflation, that means it started at $42,230. That not only means it was about 12 grand more by modern standards than the car it was significantly worse than, but it also means that car that couldn't even match a base rental spec mustang on a track costs about as much as a modern base mustang gt, which comes in at $43,048. Again, take the Shelby branding out of the equation, just look at the level of performance.

For basically a $750 dollar difference, you go from 306 hp to a 480 hp V8. From a falcon family car chassis to a dedicated sports car chassis. From no creature comforts to all the tech you could reasonably want. From a car that will likely only last a few years, to a car that will last well over a decade if you take care of it.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Interesting.
My 2018 WRX (6-speed) was bought new. I swapped the standard exhaust out for a GrimmSpeed Catback exhaust. It has 31K miles on it. All I have had done to it was the usual maintenance, replace the battery (under warranty), and new tires. It still runs like a top.
Good sir, if you own a WRX, then a mustang 5.0 is nothing to be concerned about. That would be like owning a 1980s Kia with 300,000 miles on it, and being worried about a new Toyota Corolla being reliable.
Sponsored