• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
Good thing nobody here said that. Eric said No Mustang owner NEEDS a massive tablet and I fully agree. It should be about driving experience and I personally find large tablets distracts from that.
Nonsense. No one "needs" a muscle car.

Need wheels? Buy a usedYaris.

And "should?" Leave "should" to nannies.

"No Mustang owner needs" is just the old "No true Scotsman" fallacy.

See, I fixed it, and it's completely true however you nitpick or parse it.
Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I thought I read in one of the spec sheets that it can be optioned that way, but no mention of what it looks like if you don’t.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT vert A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 6MT
I have 3 or 4 iPads and I love them. I have 2 Mustangs and I love them. When I want to go online I pick up an iPad. When I want to drive I get in a Mustang. Does that make me a purist?

If you could put a modern drive, suspension and brake system into a simple ‘60s analog car I’d be a really happy guy. Most younger people today wouldn’t be quite so enamored I would guess.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff With Wheels
I sit in front of two big monitors for 8+ hours per day; I'm doing it right now, in fact. I don't need or want this in my performance car.

Screen overload aside, that dash is hideous. No sale.

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 GT350 #028 & #383
Okay, now that I got your attention, I think it's time to discuss the massive misstep that Ford has made with the S650 - which is the new dashboard.

Personally I think it is atrocious. It has completely ruined one of the key elements that makes a Mustang interior a Mustang and makes it look like any other Mercedes, BMW or Korean SUV.

Now I know that it's the industry trend, everyone is doing it, idiot millennial consumers can't live without it, bla di bla. But the fact to the matter is that this is supposed to be a Mustang and a Mustang has very distinctive design characteristics. Characteristics that Ford marketing brass can't stop talking about when it comes to praising the new design. So why in the world did they feel the need to do away with one of the most important of those very characteristics, which is the beautiful symmetric double brow dash? This is completely wrong. It serves no purpose other than cutting costs on HVAC and other switch gear, and one switch at a time it destroys ergonomics and makes the car unsafer to operate.

It is not out of the blue that other brands who started this stupid fad (like Audi) and who were criticized from day one on the ergonomic repercussions are already reversing this policy and bringing physical switches back in their latest releases. Ford however is running at the back of the field and wasting their time on fancy graphics for switching drive modes, instead of designing an even better positioned toggle switch.

No Mustang driver needs a massive tablet in their car. When you drive a Mustang you are concentrating on driving, on the road and your surroundings. The nicely integrated Sync2/3 screen of S550 did the job perfectly well. In the Mach-E they even did a wonderful and creative job on integrating a soundbar in the double brow, a truly innovative piece of design progress. But instead of bringing that into S650 we get this generic dud and now have to live in a world where Mach-E has a more true to Mustang dashboard that the real Mustang.

This is a disaster.

ford-mustang-2018-dashboard.jpg

2024 Mustang Interior 04.jpg
Although I happen to have a 2019 GT350, I always like the Bullitt versions. Was in Milan last weekend heading for dinner and happened to come across someone who was loading the trunk in their 2019 Bullitt. Had not seen any Mustangs during last weeks Italian car and motorcycle escapade that I was on last week.

Unfortuntaely the cost to support, i.e. all taxes, an American V8 is disastrous. Had a nice conversation with the owner. Nothing though like the $40-50,000 green tax on cars like American V8's and any other higher horsepower car that is now in effect in France. Someone I know had to sell his Corvette Z06, that I also happen to have, because of it. Hope it does not come to the US although odds are it will if things stay the same.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 02 150, 06 250
I sit in front of two big monitors for 8+ hours per day; I'm doing it right now, in fact. I don't need or want this in my performance car.

Screen overload aside, that dash is hideous. No sale.
2? old timer. gotta upgrade man! I have 5 pc screens+ my phone in front of me atm, working from home.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I agree, but I don't like the digital dash on the s550 either. Unfortunately kids want glass these days.
I bought my 19' GTCS when I was 67 so us old folks like glass to. Actually anyone that bought a 201A or 401A likes glass and there are plenty of those. Also a lot of "kids" do not want cars period and very few want a gas guzzling V8 2 door coupe.

Good thing nobody here said that. Eric said No Mustang owner NEEDS a massive tablet and I fully agree. It should be about driving experience and I personally find large tablets distracts from that.
You do realize that the vast majority of Mustang owners are not hard core enthusiasts. This car is designed for the masses. Who, by the way, will love it.

I dislike touch screens but I think it's here to stay. While cheaper for manufacturers, I'm sure it will cost a small fortune to replace for the consumer.
I foresee a large increase in the purchases of ESP's. :giggle:

Personally this dashboard is not to my liking. I don't hate it, do not think it is atrocious, or a huge mistake. I just do not find it appealing. That said unless they change it when I'm ready to move on form my 19' that's what I'll be getting. It is what it is!

Last edited:

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Camaro SS (sold)
I would have preferred Ford upgrade the quality of the current interior and increased the 8" screen to a 10" and add a HUD.
Oh well, this is modern car design. I don't love it, but it won't stop me from buying an S650.

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Unfortunately kids want glass these days.
Right, because alot of kids are going to be spending $60k on fancy performance cars. Millennials can barely get out of their parents basement, but they're going to be worried about how much glass their $60k car has?

I think Ford went wrong on this design (eg. following the trend to the T), but I also don't think this will have much affect on their sales numbers. It'll just be old farts that are buying most of these cars.

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco
I agree, but I don't like the digital dash on the s550 either. Unfortunately kids want glass these days.
Where are these kids who can afford impractical $50k+ cars? Most of the millennials I know are too busy saving like Scrooge McDuck because the cost of everything from college to housing to transportation is becoming untenable for those who don’t already have accumulated wealth. The cars they drive are full of rust, have likely been in an accident, and are questionably safe. To put it plainly, they could less about cars.

PS - I’m a stupid millennial who spent $46k on an impractical car. Probably because my second car was an ‘89 GT. There aren’t many of us though.

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang
When I first saw the Mach-e with its enormous digital info screen and its tiny digital instrumentation screen, I thought this was just wrong, but couldn't figure out exactly why I didn't like it. I think now that the problem is symmetry and orientation. I actually like the digital dash of the 2024 Mustang. Unlike the Mach-e, the Mustang screens are oriented horizontally and tilted towards the driver. I believe it will be easier to look at without taking eyes off the road compared to the vertical screen in the Mach-e. I also like the symmetry of the Mustang screens; the instrumentation and info screen are the same size that provides a more integrated look. With that said, all car manufacturers are going to the digital displays and IMO it's going to be the future rather than just a short trend.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
It's all about demographics. Boomers are beyond the peak of their spending years. Gen X and Millenials are in or approaching their prime spending years. Ford is not wrong for embracing that. IMO Ford is not doing a bad job of balancing past, present, and future.

mjr1989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack
I'm not against digital dashes, but I CANNOT stand the glued-on tablet look. It's hideous. I much prefer what Porsche has done with the 911 and I wish we could have gotten something like this. The digital dash in the Bullitt and GT500 was great and incorporated into the dash. I don't get why Ford felt the need to go for the glued on tablet look. It's a shame too because I love what Ford did with the S650 exterior styling and the Gen 4 Coyote, but the dash makes it a no buy for me.
S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO 2022-porsche-911-carrera-dashboard-carbuzz-898057-1600

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6spd California Black
My initial reaction was oh that's a pretty cool set-up but the more I look at it it does look tacky and very ev-ish

That being said from the reviews, the mustang graphics and the display when you change modes, and the flames and the car going around the corner, all look really cool. I guess you can't have that without huge dual screens

But i agree the dual screens make it lose its mustang-ness
Sponsored