• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

The Dark Horse's Pirelli P-Zero Trofeo RS tires look to be the first of their kind

OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Oh I get it, you’re not a fan of the base level sizes. Yeah that’s valid. I’m assuming they want these to be accessible dailies for all climates
Sponsored

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Sorry, misread. Probably just gonna grumble when I swap to PS4s after the trofeo Rs are corded at 3K. Not quite good enough a driver to justify the performance diff vs the miles of smiles I'd get in exchange.

Yessir, that’s kind of what I implied by saying it adopts the same series as the Mach 1 (255/275 standard, 305/315 HP upgrade).

Bigger question is how the Trofeo RS compound stacks up to the Cup 2. One’s tried and true while the other’s relatively new. The fact that the other guy pointed that Porsche’s RS division is using this compound on their highest end models is super encouraging though.

As for the PZ4s I’m keeping an open mind. The PS4S is the goat of all-arounders but if the PZ4s stack up in the categories that matter—wet/dry handling characteristics and mechanical grip—then I think There’s nothing to worry about

OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Porsche tested the tire, but ended up going cup 2 on the production version if i recall correctly. In the tests I have seen, the Trofeo R has been lesser tire in dry traction vs cup 2, with better wet traction. Haven't seen much on the RS version.
RIP, not a good look lol

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
The fact that the other guy pointed that Porsche’s RS division is using this compound on their highest end models is super encouraging though.
except that Porsche has their own Cup2 formulation in the recent past so it stands to reason the Porsche version of the Trofeo is likely much different than the version Ford accepted.

If for no other reason the cord wrap will be very different since Porsche has "no" weight in the nose and super heavy in the back which is the opposite of Mustang.

IMO it's LONG since time the mustang should come in 9.5 squared in all trims including ecoboost and put an end to this staggered nonsense. Also anything with 'perf pack' can come with PS4S and leave the nonsense of shodding factory cars with Trofeo/Cup2 and whatnot to the "FP catalog". If you buy a PP car it comes with a discount coupon for your first set of "track" tires from FP.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
except that Porsche has their own Cup2 formulation in the recent past so it stands to reason the Porsche version of the Trofeo is likely much different than the version Ford accepted.
True that, and most of those bespoke compounds take years of collab

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I realized that the dark horse base has the same tire sizes as the GT PP. Really leaning towards base, pending what spoiler it gets, or doesn't get. I wanna drive the thing. Let my last car sit too much because of the supercar 3Rs that came on it.

OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I realized that the dark horse base has the same tire sizes as the GT PP. Really leaning towards base, pending what spoiler it gets, or doesn't get. I wanna drive the thing. Let my last car sit too much because of the supercar 3Rs that came on it.
Good point

Having big meaty streetable quasi-R-compounds on your daily is like rocking baseball bat schmeat in your trousers—fun for bragging rights but how often do you get to really use it

🥴

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The amount of schmeat usage replies I’ve just came up with internally is mildly worrisome.

Good point

Having big meaty streetable quasi-R-compounds on your daily is like rocking baseball bat schmeat in your trousers—fun for bragging rights but how often do you get to really use it

🥴

jgilkey

Threads
Reaction score
Website
locusautomotive.com
Vehicle(s)
Ordered: 2021 Mach 1
Does anyone know how the new tires are in cold weather compared to the Cup2? I’m wondering if the production limits played a part in the switch from Cup2’s.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based off what seems to be competitor compounds I'm sure you can assume horrid traction starting at 40F and potential cold cracking below 30F

Does anyone know how the new tires are in cold weather compared to the Cup2? I’m wondering if the production limits played a part in the switch from Cup2’s.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at tires again… tire rack has a pzero trofeo R, showing utqg 60AA A.

sport cup 2R utqg 140AA

You’ve gotta be kidding right? Theoretically less than half the life of a sport cup2R? That’s insane. Potentially a 3000 ish mile tire lol? Someone tell me I’m missing something.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Someone tell me I’m missing something.
I probably looked at the same reference you did.

While a handful are rated 220, the overwhelming majority are rated at 60.

"I have purchased a lot of them. Probably 4 to 6 sets of them a year, but i don't really keep track."
- A Reviewer

"The "Miles on this set of tires:" above is not something I consider, so I have no idea of the mileage i get from these tires, and don't care. "
- A Reviewer

Even with Cup2s, owners near immediately replace with something else. Anyone considering a DH should plan to replace the tires, possibly the rims. Great for track. not so much the street.

If picking up their cars and driving anything farther than a few 10s of miles, the buyer should consider replacing the tires at the dealer or close-by, due to the amount of rocks and debris picked-up.

Last edited:

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep. They’re basically for the “I’m so rich I don’t bother” crowd. Not to hurt feelings, but that’s a different customer segment than the bulk of the performance mustang trim base I would think.

I probably looked at the same reference you did.

While a handful are rated 220, the overwhelming majority are rated at 60.

"I have purchased a lot of them. Probably 4 to 6 sets of them a year, but i don't really keep track."
- A Reviewer

"The "Miles on this set of tires:" above is not something I consider, so I have no idea of the mileage i get from these tires, and don't care. "
- A Reviewer

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Someone tell me I’m missing something.
Pirelli's numbers are nonsense. I have the PZ4C tires Ford put on the EB/PP with 80. They wear like the 300 series PS4S. Even cold Cup2 (50F) grab and throw vastly more sand/particles than these "not remotely gumball" Pirelli's do at 90F.
Sponsored