• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Tacked-on Infotainment Screens Trend

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
I think they look great. Let's them put the screen higher up closer to eyeline, if they were more integrated they would sit lower.

Thinking designers don't do market research isn't even worth arguing against.

As to your last point, the vocal minority is usually the loudest 😉
The only bad thing about flat screen display panels in cars is that the hardware and the resolution can't be upgraded. The technology is great when you first buy the car, but what about 7 years down the road? There should be a way to create plug and play display screens on the aftermarket. By 2030, 8k flat screen displays in cars will be the norm and most folks will just be paying off the 2024 Mustang still with the old original display screens.
Sponsored

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
Well, the new screens with their big ass bezel do look like they are from some cheap chinease retailer.
see, you keep using that word 'bezel'... i dont think it means what you think it means. the bezel, as in the frame that holds the glass screen in place, is no larger than what you would find on any other car. and of course its going to be larger than a phone or ipad, its in a fucking car and has to be able to withstand years of driving.

Besides, do they work in a convertible if the roof is down? Are they bright enough?
im sorry, i forgot this was the 1970's and adjustable brightness levels doesn't exist

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
see, you keep using that word 'bezel'... i dont think it means what you think it means. the bezel, as in the frame that holds the glass screen in place, is no larger than what you would find on any other car. and of course its going to be larger than a phone or ipad, its in a fucking car and has to be able to withstand years of driving.

im sorry, i forgot this was the 1970's and adjustable brightness levels doesn't exist
Call it whatever you want but its integration into the dash looks cheap. Maybe the bezel is as large as it is in other cars (I still doubt that) but due to its surrounding/frame it looks outdated and cheap.
Besides, Bezels don't have to be larger than on any modern screen. We're talking about a screen in a car - you're not going to fly it to the Moon. It doesn't have to withstand the elements... If you properly attach the newest iPad to the dash it will work like charm...

I’m sorry that I took it for granted that people know that the most advanced and available screen technology (OLEDs) is strictly limited in terms of brightness
 Since the Mustang is so ‘tech driven’ (use of Unreal Engine and other useless stuff) I would assume they use a somewhat modern OLED display
 However, while writing these lines I realize how stupid it is to think that Ford wouldn’t use the cheapest screens – hence it’ll be a LCD display
 Regardless of their much better (peak) brightness they’re still sometimes difficult to read in direct sunlight. Maybe Ford just have to implement more adjustable brightness levels. I’m sure that will fix its hardware limits.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't have to withstand the elements...
didnt you just ask not 30 minutes ago about how the screen would do with the top down on a convertible... you know what that is right...thats it withstanding the elements

I’m sorry that I took it for granted that people know that the most advanced and available screen technology (OLEDs) is strictly limited in terms of brightness

thank you for proving you know the bare minimum of differences between OLED and LED. sure OLED has its advantages, mainly being that it doesnt utelize a backlight and as a result can get true blacks with its image, which, in turn reduces power consumption. However, in this case LED is still more preferable due to the fact that refresh rates on LED screens still outperform OLED, and can get brighter than OLED, all for cheaper than OLED.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
didnt you just ask not 30 minutes ago about how the screen would do with the top down on a convertible... you know what that is right...thats it withstanding the elements

thank you for proving you know the bare minimum of differences between OLED and LED. sure OLED has its advantages, mainly being that it doesnt utelize a backlight and as a result can get true blacks with its image, which, in turn reduces power consumption. However, in this case LED is still more preferable due to the fact that refresh rates on LED screens still outperform OLED, and can get brighter than OLED, all for cheaper than OLED.
There is a difference in withstanding the elements in terms of absolute basic requirements (like withstanding sunlight and average temperatures) or withstanding the elements in terms of way above average requirements that are needed for space flights

Anyhow, you googled the advantaged and disadvantages of OLED and LED screen. Congratulations. Can you also explain to me why a higher refresh rate is relevant on a car screen? (please don't because they aren't) It is in gaming and especially in competitive gaming setups but other than that it’s absolutely irrelevant if a screen has a ‘high’ or ‘low’ refresh rate. Even basic screens can at least display 60fps, which is more than one could need in a car screen

Long story short, apparently you like the screen in the new Mustang and apparently you don’t think they look cheap. I on the other hand think that Ford could’ve done a better job, especially considering the price. Let’s just agree to disagree on this one.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you also explain to me why a higher refresh rate is relevant on a car screen?
refresh rate is how often the screen is capable of refreshing the display to reflect the data that has been given to it by the computer. so in a car that requires realtime updates for things like speeds and temps a higher refresh rate is WAY more important than how black the screen can get.

but fine, agree to disagree then.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
so in a car that requires realtime updates for things like speeds and temps a higher refresh rate is WAY more important than how black the screen can get.
true, but a 10hz panel can more than handle the rate of change in speeds, and a 0.1hz screen can handle the temperatures.

And anyway it's probably an IPS panel.
my 2016 Ducati has a LED gauge cluster that is exposed to every weather condition. It's positively crude compared to the ones you can find on 2020+ bikes both in color and resolution, and now attached to bikes costing 10K instead of 16K. Are the new panels actually better? Do they convey more or important info in a more accessible manner? Nope. For all the $$ and googah and 4 million colors, it hasn't advanced diddly squat.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
on the subject of cost.

i could understand this argument if it wasnt for the fact that you assume the mustang is artificially inflated when, even going for the average inflation rate from before covid to now, the mustang is UNDER where MSRP should be (GT premium cost 39,880 for the 2020MY, according to FRED the PPI (cost to make) for new cars is at 17.7 above the 2019 average, putting the cost of the 2020 GT premium at 46,660, actual MSRP is 46,015. CPI tells an even worse story with average prices being close to 30% more (51,884)). so ultimately cost isnt really the major factor here.

and yes, the screens are almost certainly an IPS panel, best bang for the buck when compared to TN and VA

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
on the subject of cost.

i could understand this argument if it wasnt for the fact that you assume the mustang is artificially inflated when, even going for the average inflation rate from before covid to now, the mustang is UNDER where MSRP should be (GT premium cost 39,880 for the 2020MY, according to FRED the PPI (cost to make) for new cars is at 17.7 above the 2019 average, putting the cost of the 2020 GT premium at 46,660, actual MSRP is 46,015. CPI tells an even worse story with average prices being close to 30% more (51,884)). so ultimately cost isnt really the major factor here.

and yes, the screens are almost certainly an IPS panel, best bang for the buck when compared to TN and VA
I get the whole inflation and MSRP cost breakdown, but these cars were never a financially savvy purchase.

A lot of us are about to pay 50k+ for a V8 gas guzzler with 2 doors.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I get the whole inflation and MSRP cost breakdown, but these cars were never a financially savvy purchase.

A lot of us are about to pay 50k+ for a V8 gas guzzler with 2 doors.
Then DON'T....go buy something else

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F250 Super Duty SOLD
It’s really quite simple, car manufacturers have moved to big screens like 12+ inches. The screens are just becoming too big to properly integrate into the dash, to save money on dash design they simply tack them on often in incredibly bad looking designs. The mustang screens aren’t that bad looking tbh but it’s definitely annoying as anyone who has driven at night with these new screens knows. The biggest problem that people aren’t talking about is that these designs will not be updated and supported for that long, it’s going to be impossible to actually keep this technology on the road in 20 years.

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
The biggest problem that people aren’t talking about is that these designs will not be updated and supported for that long, it’s going to be impossible to actually keep this technology on the road in 20 years.

This. 👆

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You must not be over 40 and never have owned a convertible. Even with highest level of brightness, it's very difficult to see the IP display (when the top is down) as the sun is reflecting off the display screen with sunglasses on.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats exactly my point. If you have to run calculations and look at inflation reports, you probably shouldn’t be buying a 2 Door Gas Guzzling V8
If you buy the 24 GT or DH you will be paying a gas guzzler tax. Uncle Sam has already ruled on that.
Sponsored