• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Tacked-on Infotainment Screens Trend

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
I think it looks awesome!
I really like that they took such a forward thinking jump for the interior.

I don’t get why people like the digital cluster in s550’s though… you have this beautiful tech and then force wrap it into some stone age faux gauge cluster…. Much prefer the tablet dash.
It’s actually called “driver focused design” vs. “tab splat”.
Sponsored

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
By integrate we are talking about designing the screens to have a flow or design language with the rest of the interior, and not look like they are just tacked on top of a dash, where they stick up without any style or elegance. The S650 Mustang screens are just two screens but have the look of a larger single screen by way of a front piece of glass in the higher trim models. IMO a much better integration of two wide screens is the 2021 BMW M4 interior. There’s a “housing” for the gauge cluster, and the infotainment screen is integrated into the dash as the dash rises up around the infotainment screen and surrounds the gauge cluster screen in a housing.
IMG_5005.jpeg
IMG_5004.jpeg
I'm not a fan of that type of design. To busy. Controls are compartmentalized in at least 5 different areas. Too busy for each area and too many controls at my fingertips. Most of which I will never use in 95% of my driving. BMW looks as though they design the shifter as one department, then the touchscreen but that is controlled by a goofy knob, then the AC, then the steering wheel, etc.. None of that feels like it was designed together. Then it was slapped together with similar carbon fiber patters, leathers, and materials. Ala peanut butter sandwiches....this is the driving machine. Don't get me wrong I can learn how to use it, but I'm not wanting the Rosetta Stone lessons of how to work a car.

The mustang screens are similar to my wife's Hyundai Palisade. From the passenger side, they look weird and often appear difficult to use from that side, but from the drivers side, you have everything you need and more. It looks and feels comfortable. That is how I see the mustang. I don't really care what the passenger feels like and that is the viewpoint everyone is seeing that they talk about.

PS..... what is that on the seat? An airbag or heater for your junk? :lipssealed: It looks so uncomfortable.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
i do like the more driver focused design of the 2024 interior vs the flat design that the 550 and 197 used. the screens i could take or leave in regards to shape. theyre placed so the dash is in the same spot as the S550 so thats a non issue for me. i dont see how people think its 'distracting', its no worse than a normal dash.

lastsun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
I definitely would not have considered the 2024 Mustang if they stuck with the old 90s dash and infotainment screen.

It is so clean and the level of customization you can do absolutely sets it apart from other muscle cars.

Just look at Camero for example as others mentioned. Looks outdated

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
It's a horrible design, because it's IN YOUR FACE...

Nothing should be above the dash cowling, and obstructing your view out the front... nothing. It should'nt be higher than the steering wheel and should stop you from see the hood of your car...

D0mb is d0mb..

I have a screen in my face all day, I don't drive a car to have one in my face.... when gauges tucked into the cowling worked for 100 years. So why move the POSITION of it, just because it's digital vs analog. Again, d0mb is d0mb. Unbuyable...

Back2Gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

Nothing should be above the dash cowling, and obstructing your view out the front... nothing. It should'nt be higher than the steering wheel and should stop you from see the hood of your car...

D0mb is d0mb..

I have a screen in my face all day, I don't drive a car to have one in my face.... when gauges tucked into the cowling worked for 100 years. So why move the POSITION of it, just because it's digital vs analog. Again, d0mb is d0mb. Unbuyable...
Have you actually seen the interior in any videos? The screens are much lower than the top of the steering wheel. Here's a good video which shows this.

Last edited:

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium

D0mb is d0mb..

That's your OPINION and not a fact regardless of what YOU think.

It's not in your face its behind the steering wheel and far enough behind it as well. Thats MY opinion. Have you sat in the car and determined this? I've seen views from the front and it doesn't look to be sticking up as far as you seem to make it out to be. My salesman has seen the car in person and said it's way better in person than people think. I'll save my OPINIONS for after I see an ACTUAL car in person.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1

D0mb is d0mb..

I thought it was going to be taller than it was when I saw it in person at Barrett Jackson. It is very wide and the rest of the dash looks rather stark and empty. What I thought was a little weird was the area behind where the screen ends and some portion of the dash needed to be created to fill the gap to the mobile display as it’s tilted somewhat away from the dash and towards the driver on the passenger side.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Have you actually seen the interior in any videos? The screens are much lower than the top of the steering wheel. Here's a good video that shows this.
Absolutely that video shows it's not that much higher than the dash behind it. People trying to bash a car they have not even seen in person just because they don't like it. I'm a technology hound and I think it looks pretty damn good

noac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I like regular old school gauges. If I wanted my interior to look like a Tesla, I would buy a Tesla. I think in a car like the Mustang, the more you keep things old school, the more it stays true to its roots. The Mustang was never meant for the white collar guys….

NegativeMultiplier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
People are allowed to buy what they want so long as tradition is maintained as an option. How many people would pay a rider of $3000 or more for gratuitous tech if it wasn't included in the price? Probably 30% or less. People don't want tech, they were force fed it. Who wants a CVT? Basically nobody, but people are force fed it.
I see your point but I'm not quite sure this is a fair comparison. CVTs are objectively garbage, screens have plenty of use.
Software people are incredibly BAD at ui, reliability and prevention of feature creep. They should be locked behind doors, pizza and warm cola slipped under the door and never heard from.
As a SWE myself I can sort of agree with this 😆 All I can really say is that at least at my company we strive to avoid these problems. What's to say Ford isn't trying to reduce reliability issues?

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I like regular old school gauges. If I wanted my interior to look like a Tesla, I would buy a Tesla. I think in a car like the Mustang, the more you keep things old school, the more it stays true to its roots. The Mustang was never meant for the white collar guys….
It's 2023, how long do we need to appeal to technophobes?

Back2Gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
This is pretty funny to read as someone going from a Tesla to a Mustang

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
That's your OPINION and not a fact regardless of what YOU think.

It's not in your face its behind the steering wheel and far enough behind it as well. Thats MY opinion. Have you sat in the car and determined this? I've seen views from the front and it doesn't look to be sticking up as far as you seem to make it out to be. My salesman has seen the car in person and said it's way better in person than people think. I'll save my OPINIONS for after I see an ACTUAL car in person.

Before... how often did you have the need to TOUCH your speedometer, or RPM gauge..? Or even if you could.

And again, how often did you need radio control or ANY information dial IN YOUR FACE and not down out of the way for your hands. You don't turn stuff on/off with your face.... you do them with your hands... without even need to look at them.

NOW... you need to take your eyes off the road and stare at a TV screen to make a choice.... that gives you night vision.... because the glare is IN YOUR FACE and not down out of the way.

Lastly, if you have not sat/road in the car, why would u even respond..?
Sponsored

Last edited: