• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Single exhaust tip standard on S650 GT

Birddogjr350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F150 FX4 2016 ford explorer Sport
My guess would be that you have to check the active exhaust box when ordering to get the quad tip exhaust on the GT, that's going to be the difference between the 480 and 486 hp gt's
Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2007 GT Coupe
I don't think they necessarily did this to save money, but rather to sell the option and generate more revenue. They are able to keep pricing down by selling more options. It's what the whole auto industry is doing now as inflation squeezes profits. Also active exhaust was never standard
Hit the nail dead on the head my friend. Ford, and the others have come up with many ways to generate revenue, and I'm sure this is no different. My wife's '19 GT has the active exhaust, and then it was a $995 option. Of course the price is up now, and I'm sure it will be higher when the '24 order banks open. Gotta pay for them dual tips don'tcha know. :)

With that said, in my experience the active exhaust isn't much more than a conversation piece. The quiet mode works fine, but I never use it. And there is very little difference between the normal, and sport mode. And you can't run them in track around town, or the Po-Po will get ya. LOL That will be one option that will be left off of the wife's S650 when it's ordered.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 GT vert A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 6MT
Hit the nail dead on the head my friend. Ford, and the others have come up with many ways to generate revenue, and I'm sure this is no different. My wife's '19 GT has the active exhaust, and then it was a $995 option. Of course the price is up now, and I'm sure it will be higher when the '24 order banks open. Gotta pay for them dual tips don'tcha know. :)

With that said, in my experience the active exhaust isn't much more than a conversation piece. The quiet mode works fine, but I never use it. And there is very little difference between the normal, and sport mode. And you can't run them in track around town, or the Po-Po will get ya. LOL That will be one option that will be left off of the wife's S650 when it's ordered.
I guess it just depends on various things. I too live Down South, run exclusively in track mode (to my great joy!) and never get a glance from law enforcement. Of course I donā€™t live in a big town and Iā€™m careful not to hoss it around when I spot a cop. Itā€™s almost like they give Mustangs the same pass they extend to straight pipe Harleys. Now if a guy is real young and visibly rocking a mullet under a backwards ball cap, gettinā€™ on it when he shouldnā€™t be and his car looks crappy, then all bets are off.

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue GT 10Sp Auto
So Iā€™ve seen a lot of GT cars with single tip exhausts. Iā€™m starting to think thatā€™s gonna be standard on the GT and quads optional. See the blue car in the pic and also the one on display at Rolex 24 posted by another member.

724A5C56-91A6-4887-BF29-4501DC16112C.jpeg
Although these are Pre-Production Test Cars (therefore not the final product), I was puzzled by the Single Exhaust too, and just discovered from Ace, they are only temporary, for EPA Testing - "PEMS (Portable Emission Measurement System), not the real exhaust".

(30) S650 RIGHT HAND DRIVE MUSTANG PROTOTYPE SPOTTED TESTING | Page 3 | Mustang7G - 2024+ S650 Mustang Forum (Hybrid, GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1)

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Although these are Pre-Production Test Cars (therefore not the final product), I was puzzled by the Single Exhaust too, and just discovered from Ace, they are only temporary, for EPA Testing - "PEMS (Portable Emission Measurement System), not the real exhaust".

(30) S650 RIGHT HAND DRIVE MUSTANG PROTOTYPE SPOTTED TESTING | Page 3 | Mustang7G - 2024+ S650 Mustang Forum (Hybrid, GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1)
They are real... just look at the different exhausts in the different pictures... apples and orangesā€¦ In this threat/picture the single exhaust is what you get without options... The EU Prototype (Dark Horse?!) has a PEMS system installed.

With all the pictures thus far we can almost 100% guarantee that the EU S650 WILL have red taillights that are partially divided into two sections (bottom quarter maybe). These lower parts will house orange LEDā€™s for turn signals.

My guess would also be that EU speced Mustangs will get the active exhaust as a mandatory upgrade. I doubt that many would complain in the first place as a quad exhaust should be standard as it is right now. Besides, the aftermarket hast harsh regulations on exhausts in Germany so retrofitting an active exhaust isnā€™t allowed these days as far as I rememberā€¦

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are real... just look at the different exhausts in the different pictures... apples and orangesā€¦ In this threat/picture the single exhaust is what you get without options... The EU Prototype (Dark Horse?!) has a PEMS system installed.

With all the pictures thus far we can almost 100% guarantee that the EU S650 WILL have red taillights that are partially divided into two sections (bottom quarter maybe). These lower parts will house orange LEDā€™s for turn signals.

My guess would also be that EU speced Mustangs will get the active exhaust as a mandatory upgrade. I doubt that many would complain in the first place as a quad exhaust should be standard as it is right now. Besides, the aftermarket hast harsh regulations on exhausts in Germany so retrofitting an active exhaust isnā€™t allowed these days as far as I rememberā€¦
Regarding the exhausts, we in Aust have had the Active Exhausts as standard since the MY18, and are a massive improvement over the previous single exhaust model in every respect. However my only gripe is you cannot set the "Sport" mode to default, requiring you to reset it each time you start the car.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Here in the UK the Active Exhaust with quad tips was standard from the '18MY too. I also suspect it'll remain standard for S650 here too.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray

No, you are mixing two different things here. Most spotted S650 really have just single exhausts. That's just how they will be. The PEMS system looks quite different since it's replacing the exhaust tips and is not polished. Also you are often only seeing those things on european models to test the EU homologation, not us specs.

Real GT exhaust:
S650 Mustang Single exhaust tip standard on S650 GT 1675422076581

PEMS (you can even see how it's connecting the dual exhausts that most likely will be standard equipment for europe again, also look at the bumper cutout for the dual exhaust):
S650 Mustang Single exhaust tip standard on S650 GT 1675421879020

As a showcase this is how it looks when tested:
S650 Mustang Single exhaust tip standard on S650 GT 1675421904469

Last edited:

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, you are mixing two different things here. Most spotted S650 really have just single exhausts. That's just how they will be. The PEMS system looks quite different since it's replacing the exhaust tips and is not polished. Also you are often only seeing those things on european models to test the EU homologation, not us specs.

Real GT exhaust:
1675422076581.png

PEMS (you can even see how it's connecting the dual exhausts that most likely will be standard equipment for europe again, also look at the bumper cutout for the dual exhaust):
1675421879020.png

As a showcase this is how it looks when tested:
1675421904469.png
Yes I see what you mean - production chrome angular tips, would indicate the final product here.

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Here's a little insight on what sometimes drive exhaust options, even down to the tip configuration.

On my 2001 WS6 Trans Am with the LS1 5.7L 325hp engine Pontiac put single tips on the car. I didn't much like that, suspecting cost cutting as the reason, especially realizing non-LS1 5.7L cars still got the cast dual tips.

I later learned that to pass noise emissions regulations, changing to the single tip configuration was enough on the LS1 to get it to pass EPA drive-by noise regulations in effect at that time.

As many of you are probably aware, EPA places HEAVY fines on manufacturers for each vehicle that did not meet their standards rolling out the factory door. When I worked in the automotive industry we had to perform significant, repeatable and verifiable testing to ensure compliance to those standards.

So as you can guess, some folks who like the OP are not impressed with the "look" or even the sound, will generally "help" the car acquire desired appearance or tone that maybe the manufacturer could not legally do.

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a little insight on what sometimes drive exhaust options, even down to the tip configuration.

On my 2001 WS6 Trans Am with the LS1 5.7L 325hp engine Pontiac put single tips on the car. I didn't much like that, suspecting cost cutting as the reason, especially realizing non-LS1 5.7L cars still got the cast dual tips.

I later learned that to pass noise emissions regulations, changing to the single tip configuration was enough on the LS1 to get it to pass EPA drive-by noise regulations in effect at that time.

As many of you are probably aware, EPA places HEAVY fines on manufacturers for each vehicle that did not meet their standards rolling out the factory door. When I worked in the automotive industry we had to perform significant, repeatable and verifiable testing to ensure compliance to those standards.

So as you can guess, some folks who like the OP are not impressed with the "look" or even the sound, will generally "help" the car acquire desired appearance or tone that maybe the manufacturer could not legally do.
Probably another benefit of the "Quiet" Mode on the GT Active Exhaust - to meet EPA Regs.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
Not to mention the way that rear valance is fitted. If you notice that the single exhaust rear valance only has enough room for one tip not a dual tip. You will probably be required to get a new rear valance if you wanted to go with an aftermarket four tip.

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Not to mention the way that rear valance is fitted. If you notice that the single exhaust rear valance only has enough room for one tip not a dual tip. You will probably be required to get a new rear valance if you wanted to go with an aftermarket four tip.
Or just cut it out.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1