• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 No Lift Shift

packfan021488

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Shadow Black GT PP
I've read a bunch that these cars have the No Lift Shift feature they should have had for years now. I tried it on my way home last night but the car did continue to rev while I was pushing in the clutch. I stopped it well before redline but my question is how does this work ? is it a setting I have to have on or is it tied to track mode drive settings (fwiw I wont be using this feature often as it scares me lol)
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
No lift shifting is the expansion of a very old idea. Oldest car I remember riding in was a 1957 fairlane with an automatic transmission. The shifts were smooth and didn't jerk. How was this accomplished? I don't know exactly however I know that there were vacuum lines from the transmission to the carburetor. Some how or another the valve body in the transmission used them to control the carburetor during shifting. Modern autos still do it today but moving this idea to a manual is what's new.
Yes, this feature scares me a bit as well and I don't intend to use it. I have been driving a manual so long that I prefer to do it the old fashion way. I know there is a rev limiter in the engine and I am sure it works however I smog the Diesel at work and that scares me. The procedure is you sit there in park and when they signal, you mash the accelerator to the floor and hold it until they signal to stop. Diesels have governors that protect the engine but I don't trust them.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 GT vert A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 6MT
No lift shifting is the expansion of a very old idea. Oldest car I remember riding in was a 1957 fairlane with an automatic transmission. The shifts were smooth and didn't jerk. How was this accomplished? I don't know exactly however I know that there were vacuum lines from the transmission to the carburetor. Some how or another the valve body in the transmission used them to control the carburetor during shifting. Modern autos still do it today but moving this idea to a manual is what's new.
Yes, this feature scares me a bit as well and I don't intend to use it. I have been driving a manual so long that I prefer to do it the old fashion way. I know there is a rev limiter in the engine and I am sure it works however I smog the Diesel at work and that scares me. The procedure is you sit there in park and when they signal, you mash the accelerator to the floor and hold it until they signal to stop. Diesels have governors that protect the engine but I don't trust them.
You do realize weā€™re talking about manual transmission cars here, right?

Other than the electronic nannies thereā€™s not anything new about the no lift shit concept. Itā€™s kinda funny that people think itā€™s the newest, coolest thing. Back in the day it was a lot simpler and we just called it ā€œpower shiftingā€. But if you missed a shift the stakes could be a little higher, so youā€™d best be rockinā€™ a well-adjusted Hurst shifter.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You do realize weā€™re talking about manual transmission cars here, right?

Other than the electronic nannies thereā€™s not anything new about the no lift shit concept. Itā€™s kinda funny that people think itā€™s the newest, coolest thing. Back in the day it was a lot simpler and we just called it ā€œpower shiftingā€. But if you missed a shift the stakes could be a little higher, so youā€™d best be rockinā€™ a well-adjusted Hurst shifter.
Yes I realize we are taking about manuals however autos needed it from day one. Once the idea was developed for autos, it was simply a matter of modifying it so it was compatible with a manual transmission. Also the point is you don't need electronics to implement it. Vacuum and hydraulics were sufficient however computer control can make it much more exact.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I realize we are taking about manuals however autos needed it from day one. Once the idea was developed for autos, it was simply a matter of modifying it so it was compatible with a manual transmission. Also the point is you don't need electronics to implement it. Vacuum and hydraulics were sufficient however computer control can make it much more exact.
I guess Iā€™m just not comprehending something from your post.

Iā€˜ve never known or heard of anyone who ever lifted between shifts with an automatic. Youā€˜d never know exactly when the shift was coming anyway.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess Iā€™m just not comprehending something from your post.

Iā€˜ve never known or heard of anyone who ever lifted between shifts with an automatic. Youā€˜d never know exactly when the shift was coming anyway.
Automatics don't just shift gears, it's more complex than that. The transmission decides it's time to shift depending on a number of factors. First it throttles back the engine, then it preforms the shift and then it reapplies power. The process is so smooth and fast that most of the time you don't really notice but the process is exactly the same as no lift shifting. If an automatic didn't do this, you would feel a tremendous jerk during the shift and it shock would tear up an automatic transmission. In short, and automatic does a no lift shift every time it shifts. The drive maintains a consistent pressure on the accelerator all the way up to the desired speed.
It's important to note that if the engine didn't throttle back., without a load it would rev up and when the transmission completed the shift, that would result in a hard jerk.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Automatics don't just shift gears, it's more complex than that. The transmission decides it's time to shift depending on a number of factors. First it throttles back the engine, then it preforms the shift and then it reapplies power. The process is so smooth and fast that most of the time you don't really notice but the process is exactly the same as no lift shifting. If an automatic didn't do this, you would feel a tremendous jerk during the shift and it shock would tear up an automatic transmission. In short, and automatic does a no lift shift every time it shifts. The drive maintains a consistent pressure on the accelerator all the way up to the desired speed.
It's important to note that if the engine didn't throttle back., without a load it would rev up and when the transmission completed the shift, that would result in a hard jerk.
All pretty accurate but I donā€™t get the point of the tutorial. It seemed this thread was alway about manual shifting.

Anywayā€¦

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All pretty accurate but I donā€™t get the point of the tutorial. It seemed this thread was alway about manual shifting.

Anywayā€¦
My point is no lift isn't something new and scary. It's something that has always existed in automatics that was moved into manuals. Maybe I took the long way around to explain it.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My point is no lift isn't something new and scary. It's something that has always existed in automatics that was moved into manuals. Maybe I took the long way around to explain it.
Gotcha.

I didnā€™t think it was new either but I was only going back to the ā€˜60s when 4-speeds were the de facto performance option. If you couldnā€™t power shift you couldnā€™t win a race. We all worshipped at the throne of Grumpy Jenkins and his contempora and best of all a pit pass was peanuts at Yellow River, Dallas and other local strips so we could rub shoulders and talk to them. That is until the Torqueflite was re-discovered and then the THM in ā€˜67 or so.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Gotcha.

ā€¦or so.
Donā€™t forget some may have their first experience with a power pack because they suddenly had enough credits in the video game.

waiting for the addition of the no clutch shift [to the discussion] and all will be completeā€¦.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Donā€™t forget some may have their first experience with a power pack because they suddenly had enough credits in the video game.

waiting for the addition of the no clutch shift [to the discussion] and all will be completeā€¦.
OK.

But whatā€™s a power pack?

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
This seems very accurate. My 2013 Fusion, God rest her soul, had a 6 speed auto and it shifted like a manual backing off on the throttle and then back on with no change in accelerator input from me. Always loved that feature about that car. I missed driving manual, but at least it shifted around town like it was a manual.

Back to the OP...I don't think I would trust the no lift shift either, but they say it's there and there is that rev limiter so the likelihood of causing engine damage is probably pretty low. Ford engineers these cars to take a lot of abuse. You should be safe.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150

Bring on the flat-footed bang shifters in 3, 2....
Sponsored