• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 front end seems to float at highway speeds.

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
I have had a chance to drive a few hundred miles in my S650 over the last couple of days and I noticed that at highway speeds the front end seems to "float" and I'm constantly having to correct it, I took my S550 out under the same conditions and it stays put, no floating and very stable. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same or could explain it.

The S550 does not have a spoiler, Magnaride or a lane keeping system. I thinking it could be one of these.
Sponsored

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
When you say float, do you mean as in the tires themselves feeling as if there is not enough downforce on the front tires for grip at highway speeds or are you referring to the steering wheel feeling floaty?

If it's the steering wheel itself, feeling floaty, I've read/watch reviews commenting on the S650s lack of feeling coming from the front wheels through the steering wheel.

OP
OP
DukeCLR

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you say float, do you mean as in the tires themselves feeling as if there is not enough downforce on the front tires for grip at highway speeds or are you referring to the steering wheel feeling floaty?

If it's the steering wheel itself, feeling floaty, I've read/watch reviews commenting on the S650s lack of feeling coming from the front wheels through the steering wheel.
Both actually, my biggest "complaint" about the S650 is the steering and how light it feels, my S550 feels nice and stiff and it's as if you can feel the road. ALso, the front feels as though it's not on the ground and I have to physically move the whee to keep it in the lane.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Coming from an F-150, the steering wheel feel in this is night/day difference, in a positive way. I'll have to pay more attention to this the next time I drive down the interstate.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Pretty sure the floaty feeling you are getting is normal with the stock suspension. Enjoy it! It is quite nice actually. Now, if you had said the floaty feeling was equivalent to a 1970 Cadillac then I would have been concerned.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Total miles thus far? Almost wonder if magneride goes through a ā€˜learnā€™ in the same manner / idea / concept as the automatic transmission. Different modes and tires and nannies etc.

OP
OP
DukeCLR

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure the floaty feeling you are getting is normal with the stock suspension. Enjoy it! It is quite nice actually. Now, if you had said the floaty feeling was equivalent to a 1970 Cadillac then I would have been concerned.
I had the opportunity to own a 72 Cadillac but I thought it was too big to drive to college, I regret that decision. That had crazy light power steering and although it isn't close it reminded me of that.

Total miles thus far? Almost wonder if magneride goes through a ā€˜learnā€™ in the same manner / idea / concept as the automatic transmission. Different modes and tires and nannies etc.
just under 700 miles, today I will make a 450 mile round trip to see my new grandson and will experiment with modes etc.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
just under 700 miles, today I will make a 450 mile round trip to see my new grandson and will experiment with modes etc.
šŸ•¶ keep the shiny (painted) side up.

OP
OP
DukeCLR

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
check and see if the dealer installed the underbody aero strakes

Those were installed.

Today I put several hundred miles on the car and I think it was the lane keeping system, it always seem to be moving from one side of the lane to the other, I turned it off and it seemed to get much better. It was a pleasure to drive this car on the interstate, this thing moves right along.

Reactions: Zig

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
I noticed that at highway speeds the front end seems to "float" and I'm constantly having to correct it
there shouldn't be 'float' at <75mph. But then again Ford sucked at MR tuning in S550 GT/EB PP trims. Only with the GT500/Mach1 Ford got it halfway decent.

Have you tried using Sport/Track mode and seen any improvement?

OP
OP
DukeCLR

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
there shouldn't be 'float' at <75mph. But then again Ford sucked at MR tuning in S550 GT/EB PP trims. Only with the GT500/Mach1 Ford got it halfway decent.

Have you tried using Sport/Track mode and seen any improvement?
I tried all the combos on my trip today, I think it's the lane assisst, I turned that off and it was a much more comfortable ride, I set 80 on the cruise control and just went. I noticed that if I floored it at 80 in the normal mode I had better acceleration then I did in the sport mode.
Sponsored